I'm just gonna drop this here

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: I'm just gonna drop this here

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 22nd, 2017, 4:45 pm

Does anyone find it odd just how quiet the MVC has been? They are not showing their cards at all which is a bit weird. I wonder why?
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » April 22nd, 2017, 5:12 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Does anyone find it odd just how quiet the MVC has been? They are not showing their cards at all which is a bit weird. I wonder why?

Not odd at all.

Look how the B12 released lists, made schools parade themselves like a beauty pageant and gen added no one? Remember how bad they looked in the media for it? Remember how embarrassing it was for some of the schools the way they whores themselves out?

All about avoiding that.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 22nd, 2017, 5:18 pm

I see your point but last time there was more than this.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » April 22nd, 2017, 5:21 pm

I like a 12 team league with Murray, Valpo and Milwaukee a lot, assuming Belmont and SLU are out. I'd like to add UIC as #13, but you can't stop at 13 and I see a big drop off after them. I really wish UMKC had more to offer, and Denver wasn't so far (and wasn't a hockey school).
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 22nd, 2017, 5:28 pm

I don't think Denver and Arlington are legitimate due to travel. No reason to add UIC with Loyola.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SMUfan » April 22nd, 2017, 5:30 pm

Don't count out Northern KY or Wright State.
SMUfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » April 22nd, 2017, 5:40 pm

Of realistic/busable candidates:
Murray
Valpo
--cliff drop--
10-12 schools at the same level

Stand pat at 11 and wait for someone to rise to the top for #12. Meritocracy.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 22nd, 2017, 5:41 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:I see your point but last time there was more than this.

And lastti
E was an S show.

They came out, from the very start and said this would be extremely descrete. Given that statement why would we be shocked we haven't heard anything?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherU » April 23rd, 2017, 6:38 pm

There's a note I want to make that I've heard mentioned about Milwaukee in other places.

It's been brought up how Milwaukee hasn't won a game in the NCAA Tournament in 10 years, and has only one appearance since then. This is true.

One of the people I saw bring this point up mentioned that college basketball at mid-majors is cyclical; that almost no one is great every single year, and the ones that are have moved up to high-major conferences (Butler, Xavier) or exist on their own island (Gonzaga). This is also true.

A little background, because I want you all to know how Milwaukee was built up at pretty much the worst possible time.

Keep in mind that Milwaukee was the best team in the conference at the end of the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons not named Butler. They literally ran into the greatest mid-major of all time in the semifinals in 2010 and missed a three-pointer that would have tied it late, then Butler made their free throws and went on to absolutely trash Wright State in the title game on their way to finishing a couple inches from the NCAA Title. In 2011, Milwaukee won at Butler and destroyed them in Milwaukee, then Butler took the conference title game and went to the NCAA Title game again.

I say all this because, as I said, Butler in 2010 and 2011 was the greatest mid-major basketball team of all time. Of. All. Time. So what do you think of Milwaukee if they had NCAA Tournaments in 2003, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011 and 2014? What if they had a tourney victory in 2011 and had Big Dance W's in 2005 (Sweet 16), 2006 and 2011?

That team's probably a shoo-in for the MVC. So are we really going to dismiss Milwaukee because they ran into the Best Mid-Major of All Time? 'Sorry, you'd be getting into the MVC, but you hit the upside of your cycle right when you were facing Brad Stevens, Gordon Hayward, Matt Howard and Shelvin Mack. Valpo's for sure in because they hit the top of their cycle after 2011, when Butler fell off and then left.'

Don't get me wrong, I think Valpo is the #10 team for the MVC. I just think it's real easy to dismiss Milwaukee without looking at history more closely.
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » April 23rd, 2017, 6:44 pm

Well...you convinced me.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball