NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby MoValley John » April 26th, 2017, 6:46 pm

I just don't understand why a guy from Canada wants his team in the Valley so badly. NDSU should form a conference with McGill.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PantherU » April 26th, 2017, 6:51 pm

Lakesbison wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:The one conference NDSU cares about the most is the MVCF, not the Summit. Gotta remember that.

actually the Mountain West/MAC is what NDSU cares about, but after beating 4 of their FBS teams they won't invite NDSU either :(

------------------------------

Update: NDSU play by play guy thinks even visiting OMAHA is a huge slap in the face to NDSU... and if Valpo/Milwaukee goto MVC then the Horizon will go after IPFW, IUPUI and the Summit will be a mess.

if Valpo/Milwaukee/Omaha leaves , the summit only has 5 baseball teams and NDSU will be forced to "Go Big or Go Home"

its gonna be pretty interesting few months.

The Mountain West would be huge. The MAC would be incredibly idiotic. Why would NDSU leave a conference, built for them, to be a part of a conference where your closest game is 9 hours away? Why would they leave the MVFC, where they're competing for national titles, to join the MAC, the conference of empty seats and endless trips to the NobodyCares.com Bowl? If NDSU is seriously considering the MAC, then the powers that be seriously need their heads examined.

When Butler left the Horizon League, we were down to five baseball teams. We also got a waiver to qualify for one year. So for 2012-13, we played with 5 teams and kept our automatic bid. The next year we added Oakland and it was all OK.

Honestly, if either the Summit or Horizon is affected by this round of realignment in baseball, they need to consider a partnership between the two conferences for the sport of baseball. Call in the Sumzon League, or the Hormit League. Doesn't matter. Call it "The League" (I actually like that haha). Combine the conferences for baseball only.
PantherU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BCPanther » April 26th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Lakesbison wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:The one conference NDSU cares about the most is the MVCF, not the Summit. Gotta remember that.

actually the Mountain West/MAC is what NDSU cares about, but after beating 4 of their FBS teams they won't invite NDSU either :(

------------------------------

Update: NDSU play by play guy thinks even visiting OMAHA is a huge slap in the face to NDSU... and if Valpo/Milwaukee goto MVC then the Horizon will go after IPFW, IUPUI and the Summit will be a mess.

if Valpo/Milwaukee/Omaha leaves , the summit only has 5 baseball teams and NDSU will be forced to "Go Big or Go Home"

its gonna be pretty interesting few months.

Is there so little going on on the tundra that your radio stations dedicate hours to be offended by not being invited to a league that they never had a shot at getting into? But yeah, The Summit is a better league...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Lakesbison » April 26th, 2017, 8:23 pm

it has nothing to do with "nothing to do" up here.

It has to do with the culmination of a FBS vs FCS fanbase divided right now, and the moves made by the MVC and or Summit will drive a wedge between the 2.

A) its a disbelief that the MVC wouldn't want NDSU (for all sports, NDSU's Olympic sports are very good) new basketball arena, big dance win & 3 big dance appearances....

B) its a hope that this will push the Non-FBS types over to the Pro FBS crowd if MVC does this, despite the fact that NDSU has elevated the MVFC to national exposure...

C) its generating talk on April 26...

it'll be allright :)
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvfcfan » April 26th, 2017, 8:51 pm

This is really way outside of the box, but would it be possible to make it to where the MVC only sponsors men's basketball, football, and maybe baseball (aka the 2-3 college sports people actually care about)? We could then create two different leagues (run by the MVC in the background like the MVFC currently is) for the sports no one cares about (women's sports, track, golf, etc). Then we could have a really good league for the important sports that would require some travel and then have our leagues for the sports that don't really matter and requires minimal travel. Maybe with this idea adding all 4 of the Dakota schools and WIU wouldn't be so bad. Just a thought.

(I know this won't ever happen, and I'm not necessarily in favor of this idea, but I am curious as to if this would be possible.)
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ValpoTX » April 26th, 2017, 9:05 pm

I have an NDSU graduate at my company who told me that he heard rumors that the Big 12 will invite NDSU in the next few years. That comment made Lakesbison's views seem realistic :)
ValpoTX
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Lakesbison » April 26th, 2017, 10:42 pm

NDSU is already in the Big 12..... Wrestling :)
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Mikovio » April 27th, 2017, 7:24 am

PantherU wrote:The Mountain West would be huge. The MAC would be incredibly idiotic. Why would NDSU leave a conference, built for them, to be a part of a conference where your closest game is 9 hours away? Why would they leave the MVFC, where they're competing for national titles, to join the MAC, the conference of empty seats and endless trips to the NobodyCares.com Bowl? If NDSU is seriously considering the MAC, then the powers that be seriously need their heads examined.

NIU made the Orange Bowl and WMU made the Cotton Bowl in the last 5 years. NIU would have made the Fiesta Bowl too in 2014 if they didn't get upset the last game. Same for Ball State in '08. But yeah, who would take that over Frisco Texas?!
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » April 27th, 2017, 7:34 am

Lakesbison wrote:that NDSU has elevated the MVFC to national exposure...

Okay. National exposure for the MVFC huh? I haven't really heard a ton of discussion about the Spring football in the MVFC on national networks this year. Have I been missing it?

Couple of Gameday's in Fargo was nice, but don't mistake that for actual MVFC national exposure. Also we will now have to see if you stay in the spotlight without the championship streak, and with ESPN basically getting rid of everyone that had anything to do with college sports.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Lakesbison » April 27th, 2017, 1:29 pm

#2 overall pick in the NFL draft last year was pretty helpful.

beating #13 IOWA on ESPN was pretty helpful.

cmon man.. NDSU has elevated the MVFC to heights never imagined just 8 years ago.

You'd think the conference would actually reward them with a MVC invite.... #ButPrivateSchools #ButTravel #ButCompetition
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball