Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Postby RacerJoeD » June 8th, 2017, 8:21 am

Forgive me if I am wrong, but could a sub .500 team get a tournament seed that would allow them to be only one upset from a tournament championship? I mean, lets look at the 15-16 bracket, ISUb was the highest seeded team ( a 6 seed). They would have needed 3 upsets, (or two if the 8 or 9 seed were to make it to the championship). After those games, ISUb would have been above .500 and would have probably been a 14/15 seed line.

Now looking at that bracket, if Drake, the 10 seed with a record of 7-23, would have won 4 games they would have been 11-23, and a probable 16 seed. They would have also had some decent wins in the tourney and may (may) have enough to stay out of the 16/16 matchup.

When you look at the 16/16 mashups, they are usually made up of conferences like the MEAC, SWAC, Northeast, etc. Not realistic to think that the MVC would be playing in the 16/16 matchup, barring a massive amount of upsets (not one) in the tournament.
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » June 8th, 2017, 8:46 am

RacerJoeD wrote:Forgive me if I am wrong, but could a sub .500 team get a tournament seed that would allow them to be only one upset from a tournament championship? I mean, lets look at the 15-16 bracket, ISUb was the highest seeded team ( a 6 seed). They would have needed 3 upsets, (or two if the 8 or 9 seed were to make it to the championship). After those games, ISUb would have been above .500 and would have probably been a 14/15 seed line.

Now looking at that bracket, if Drake, the 10 seed with a record of 7-23, would have won 4 games they would have been 11-23, and a probable 16 seed. They would have also had some decent wins in the tourney and may (may) have enough to stay out of the 16/16 matchup.

When you look at the 16/16 mashups, they are usually made up of conferences like the MEAC, SWAC, Northeast, etc. Not realistic to think that the MVC would be playing in the 16/16 matchup, barring a massive amount of upsets (not one) in the tournament.

Not really.

Arch Madness takes the bottom 4 teams and plays them Thursday night - 7/10 and 8/9. The winner of 7/10 goes to play the 1 seed and the 8/9 winner plays the 2 seed. A PIG team, as we call them (Play In Game...Thursday night) would need to win 4 games in 4 days to get the automatic bid. That would include beating AT LEAST one of the top two seeds.

Typically PIG teams haven't won much more than 4 conference games all year, let along 4 in 4 days.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Majik45 » June 8th, 2017, 9:40 am

uniftw wrote:Not really.

Arch Madness takes the bottom 4 teams and plays them Thursday night - 7/10 and 8/9. The winner of 7/10 goes to play the 1 seed and the 8/9 winner plays the 2 seed. A PIG team, as we call them (Play In Game...Thursday night) would need to win 4 games in 4 days to get the automatic bid. That would include beating AT LEAST one of the top two seeds.

Typically PIG teams haven't won much more than 4 conference games all year, let along 4 in 4 days.

To back this up, only ONCE since the MVC tourney moved to having all 10 teams included in the tournament (starting in 1997, from what I can see) has a PIG (Play in Game) team ever beat the #1 or #2 seed in the tournament on the next day. This was the #7 seed Bradley beating #2 seed Creighton in the 1998 tourney. This means the PIG teams are 1-41 in the next game. Only 1 PIG team has ever made it to the semi-finals, and no team has ever made it to the finals.
Majik45
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 8th, 2017, 10:47 am

CDIZZLE is under the impression that now that his beloved Shockers are gone, we are now doomed for the abyss of 20+ RPI ranking as a conference, etc.

The schools that get 16 seeds are usually coming from the 30th ranked conference RPI.

We are still MUCH better than the Summit. To argue otherwise, is a complete and utter joke.

Again, CDizzle, please go away once and for all. You have a new message board full of your "peers" to hang out with.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » June 8th, 2017, 10:51 am

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:At this point, you're spending far too much time on a website that has nothing to do with your team. And, we are still a far greater conference than the Summit.

Name 3 ways in which MVC basketball is now significantly more nationally relevant than Summit basketball.

1. WATCHESPN partnership, along with games on ESPN channels and Fox Sports stations (regional broadcasts)
2. Success in the tournament with UNI - who is still a member of the MVC
3. Teams who are in consideration for at large berths being discussed nationally during selection Sunday (ISUr) Summit has and never will have this the way they are now.

Now go away dizzle
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 8th, 2017, 11:42 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:CDIZZLE is under the impression that now that his beloved Shockers are gone, we are now doomed for the abyss of 20+ RPI ranking as a conference, etc.

The schools that get 16 seeds are usually coming from the 30th ranked conference RPI.

We are still MUCH better than the Summit. To argue otherwise, is a complete and utter joke.

Again, CDizzle, please go away once and for all. You have a new message board full of your "peers" to hang out with.

I have never once claimed that the MVC was headed for 20+ conference RPI ranking. Nor have I argued that the MVC auto-bid was going to be a 16 seed. But thanks for keeping up with your MO of putting words in people's mouths.

What's being missed by many, including yourself, is that there isn't much difference between #14 and #24 in conference rankings. Not where it matters nationally. Any team in any of those leagues faces a monumental task even getting in to the at-large discussion, much less receiving an at-large bid. Any team in those conferences struggle to get an NCAA seed or site that isn't a huge disadvantage. Almost all teams in those conferences struggle to get even remotely reasonable fairness in their scheduling opportunities.

My point isn't that the MVC is going to drop from the 12th to the 24th rated conference. My point is that the combination of the way the NCAA is heading and the way the MVC is heading, it may not make much difference where it counts.

For the record, I think there is a similar chasm between the P5 and the few leagues below them. I think it's that middle group that the MVC has been in, and now is falling out of, even if the conference RPI rank doesn't drop much or at all. Hell, the MVC was pretty much already there before the WSU departure, as evidenced by WSU's 10 seed and ISUr's exclusion. Even in that middle group, it's a major uphill battle to get reasonable schedules, NCAA bids, and seeds. But in those few leagues there are just enough programs fighting well enough most years that in aggregate they can create an environment where NCAA success is possible.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 8th, 2017, 11:52 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:At this point, you're spending far too much time on a website that has nothing to do with your team. And, we are still a far greater conference than the Summit.

Name 3 ways in which MVC basketball is now significantly more nationally relevant than Summit basketball.

1. WATCHESPN partnership, along with games on ESPN channels and Fox Sports stations (regional broadcasts)
2. Success in the tournament with UNI - who is still a member of the MVC
3. Teams who are in consideration for at large berths being discussed nationally during selection Sunday (ISUr) Summit has and never will have this the way they are now.

Now go away dizzle

1. Negotiated with WSU still in the league. The regional broadcasts were with both WSU and Creighton in the league. This will be an interesting one to watch. I'm gussing the ESPN3 content remains, as most everything is on there these days.
2. Agree completely.
3. Without WSU, ISUr is not in consideration for an at-large berth. This one is another wait-and-see. I also think it's interesting that some people think ISUr was actually in consideration. Even in the last few years in the Valley, if you were a MVC team and you weren't a Lock when the MVC tourney ended, you weren't getting in.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » June 8th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:1. WATCHESPN partnership, along with games on ESPN channels and Fox Sports stations (regional broadcasts)

1. Negotiated with WSU still in the league. The regional broadcasts were with both WSU and Creighton in the league. This will be an interesting one to watch. I'm gussing the ESPN3 content remains, as most everything is on there these days.

It will be interesting to see how much the Valley is on ESPN in future years. ESPN is clearly trying to slash costs and Valley broadcasts only cost them their own production costs. How low will other conferences be willing to go to stay on ESPN?
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 8th, 2017, 1:34 pm

If they can stay in top 12 I think they'll be okay for ESPN.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 8th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:If they can stay in top 12 I think they'll be okay for ESPN.

Media contracts are going to be interesting to watch for all leagues over the next decade. Cord-cutting has changed the calculus.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball