Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Hopefully this is just phase 1 of expansion

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 8th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:If they can stay in top 12 I think they'll be okay for ESPN.

Media contracts are going to be interesting to watch for all leagues over the next decade. Cord-cutting has changed the calculus.

I have cut the cord. Firestick. Watch Redbirds on the ESPN app on the firestick. Pay 35 a month for PlayStation Vue (a lot better than the 120 for Comcast) so I can get my cubs games. And Vue has pretty much everything except CBS sports. CBS sports is the lone holdout
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Born2Shock » June 8th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Seeing the games isnt much of a problem any more, especially with the prevalence of various options. Firestick, Vue, etc. However, the money that conferences get (ANY conference) the next time the media contracts are negotiated will likely be significantly less than the current setups. The days of lucrative TV deals appear to be waning.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 8th, 2017, 2:37 pm

If worse comes to worse I can always streme something online and cast it to the tv too. Cable companies are going to go bye bye once we don't need them for internet and that day is fast approaching with the hotspots. Soon everything will be through phone companies.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 8th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:If worse comes to worse I can always streme something online and cast it to the tv too. Cable companies are going to go bye bye once we don't need them for internet and that day is fast approaching with the hotspots. Soon everything will be through phone companies.

Which are just as bad - or worse - than cable companies when it comes to rates, customer service, monopolies, etc...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Born2Shock » June 8th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:If worse comes to worse I can always streme something online and cast it to the tv too. Cable companies are going to go bye bye once we don't need them for internet and that day is fast approaching with the hotspots. Soon everything will be through phone companies.

These sorts of things do not help the Valley (or any conference, but especially those outside the P5) as far as monetary gains with media deals.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » June 8th, 2017, 2:54 pm

uniftw wrote:

Which are just as bad - or worse - than cable companies when it comes to rates, customer service, monopolies, etc...

That's why they haven't gone obsolete already is because hotspots are expensive to use as your number 1 option. Cable and DSL will be gone eventually though for waves.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » June 8th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Television exposure is an interesting topic. I'm not sure of the exact details of our ESPN contract, but I know with other leagues (the AAC, I believe), ESPN threw in some renegotiation clauses that allow them to revisit things if membership changes.

It's impossible to know what the details are of our deal. I imagine all the ESPN3 stuff is safe and will remain as is though. The scary thing is if ESPN is allowed to go back into the deal and tear things up. ESPN just laid off so many people and is reducing budget by any means necessary.....obviously they can't just cancel media deals mid-deal. So the leagues/conferences in the most trouble right now are the first ones that have to go to ESPN to sign their next deal. If Wichita leaving triggered a clause that allows ESPN to force us back to the table, right when money is the tightest it'll ever be, we'll be at a significant disadvantage to every other conference in the entire country. All because Wichita left at the exact time ESPN shut off the water spout of money.

But again, it all depends on the details in the contract Elgin negotiated. Details we don't know.

The one thing I'm pessimistic of is our CBS title game. CBS has no other real stake in our conference, and already sandwiches us in between power conference games. CBS could pretty easily eject. We could easily return to ESPN though and our previously traditional Monday night title game, going Friday-Monday again. We're still good enough to get that spot back.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BCPanther » June 9th, 2017, 9:44 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:Television exposure is an interesting topic. I'm not sure of the exact details of our ESPN contract, but I know with other leagues (the AAC, I believe), ESPN threw in some renegotiation clauses that allow them to revisit things if membership changes.

It's impossible to know what the details are of our deal. I imagine all the ESPN3 stuff is safe and will remain as is though. The scary thing is if ESPN is allowed to go back into the deal and tear things up. ESPN just laid off so many people and is reducing budget by any means necessary.....obviously they can't just cancel media deals mid-deal. So the leagues/conferences in the most trouble right now are the first ones that have to go to ESPN to sign their next deal. If Wichita leaving triggered a clause that allows ESPN to force us back to the table, right when money is the tightest it'll ever be, we'll be at a significant disadvantage to every other conference in the entire country. All because Wichita left at the exact time ESPN shut off the water spout of money.

But again, it all depends on the details in the contract Elgin negotiated. Details we don't know.

The one thing I'm pessimistic of is our CBS title game. CBS has no other real stake in our conference, and already sandwiches us in between power conference games. CBS could pretty easily eject. We could easily return to ESPN though and our previously traditional Monday night title game, going Friday-Monday again. We're still good enough to get that spot back.

CBS is contracted to carry our title game until 2020 at this point. We'll have been on CBS for 15 years at that point. I don't see any danger if losing that slot. It's not like Wichita appeared in that game very often...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 9th, 2017, 10:07 am

BCPanther wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:Television exposure is an interesting topic. I'm not sure of the exact details of our ESPN contract, but I know with other leagues (the AAC, I believe), ESPN threw in some renegotiation clauses that allow them to revisit things if membership changes.

CBS is contracted to carry our title game until 2020 at this point. We'll have been on CBS for 15 years at that point. I don't see any danger if losing that slot. It's not like Wichita appeared in that game very often...

The last part is true. But I do think it could be in danger. It's not like the game was being played for a 13 seed very often either.

Media contracts are going to be so interesting to watch for all levels of sports and all levels of D1 basketball over the next 5-10 years.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » June 9th, 2017, 12:02 pm

BCPanther wrote:

Last 15 years: 8 of the 15 tournament finals had a team that isn't in the MVC and moved onto a bigger conference. I would say that it doesn't bold very well. Four of the last eight finals had WSU as a participant. The most of anyone in the conference.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball