MC Intosh

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MC Intosh

Postby Play Angry » June 16th, 2017, 9:01 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
Play Angry wrote:Jordan Caroline and Marcus Marshall are more all-conference caliber players who bolted recently, albeit for an MWC school.

I forgot about Caroline (and Bola now that i think about it too), but also wasn't Marshall kind of kicked out rather than leaving willingly?

He definitely self-immolated at the end of that year. You're right that he was probably more of a "bad fit" than an example of somebody transferring out for purposes of transferring "up."
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Drakey » June 16th, 2017, 9:44 am

Dominik Olejniczak was also recruited from Drake a year ago by Mississippi. The grad transfer rule is bad for mid majors. This is becoming more and more common, and I have had the Triple A thought myself. Drake spent a lot of money and did a lot of work to get Olejniczak in a position where he could play basketball in the USA. He used Drake and then moved on as soon as he had the chance. I think a lot of the FBS schools are telling these guys to go play in the Valley and we'll se how you do before offering you a scholarship.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » June 16th, 2017, 10:35 am

Play Angry wrote:
uniftw wrote:Drake had someone to go Minnesota. Can't recall the name off the top of my head

Also had Kale that transferred in to them and then left on the grad transfer rule.

Joey King

Bingo.

Thankfully UNI's roster is so bad that we don't every worry about it.... :buddies:

On a serious not it is becoming an issue. I know there is some concern with one of the guys that UNI signed this year and this situation. He was under recruited in high school due to missing his junior year of high school with an ACL injury. By the end schools like Michigan State, Michigan, etc.. were starting to sniff around he contact him. He also seemed to love the attention of recruiting and having everyone want him.

If he gets to UNI and performs to his potential he could easily end up a grad transfer in a couple years, or just a straight transfer if he doesn't redshirt this year.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Make MVC Great Again » June 16th, 2017, 11:50 am

Kids these days have no sense of dignity.

Why would you want to go to a school that wanted nothing to do with you out of high school, but than ball-out in college, and only then do they want you? Makes you look weak and superficial. Like a puppy wanting a treat.

Just me.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Rollbird5 » June 16th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Make MVC Great Again wrote:Kids these days have no sense of dignity.

Why would you want to go to a school that wanted nothing to do with you out of high school, but than ball-out in college, and only then do they want you? Makes you look weak and superficial. Like a puppy wanting a treat.

Just me.

Chance to play in ncaa tourney, get noticed more by scouts, play high profile opponents more often,

Wish loyalty to a program was how it used to be but this is just the world we live in, everyone is looking for the next best thing
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ptownbraves » June 16th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Just me.

Don't blame the kids, blame the system that allows it. Where's the incentive to stay at a mid-major these days if you're a top player in your conference other than a sense of loyalty to your teammates and coaches? The P5 schools have a lot to offer. Better competition, better facilities, national recognition, potentially more exposure to NBA or pro teams overseas. They're just trying to improve their situation.

It's like being offered a big raise to go to a new company and do the same type of work.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » June 17th, 2017, 8:26 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:but aside from Sam Maniscalco from Bradley (Grad Transfer) and Rayvonte Rice from Drake (normal Transfer),

Maniscalco left because Les was fired. Cunningham is another (to Dayton), but again it's because we fired his coach. I don't think we've had a player "transfer up" except when we fired our coach. Even Danny Granger left because Les chased him out and his old assistant was texting him at New Mexico. Maybe it would start happening under the new grad transfer rule though, who knows. I can't blame anyone for leaving the Redturds though.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » June 19th, 2017, 8:50 am

ptownbraves wrote:

Just me.

Don't blame the kids, blame the system that allows it. Where's the incentive to stay at a mid-major these days if you're a top player in your conference other than a sense of loyalty to your teammates and coaches? The P5 schools have a lot to offer. Better competition, better facilities, national recognition, potentially more exposure to NBA or pro teams overseas. They're just trying to improve their situation.

It's like being offered a big raise to go to a new company and do the same type of work.

I don't see the system as being the problem either though. If a kid wants to leave to try and improve himself then more power to them. Why shouldn't the kid have an option of doing this?

Anyone else around the program can leave at anytime they want for anywhere they want. Why limit what the player can do?
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » June 19th, 2017, 9:32 am

I think the issue with "the system" is that it is easily abused by larger conference/teams.

I saw a thing, yesterday, published by the NCAA that only 34% of basketball players who use the graduate exemption actually earn their masters degree. I'll see if I can find it back

That is a broken system.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Old School MVC » June 19th, 2017, 11:28 am

But if that player uses his move to get more exposure to better his chances to play professionally (so be it probably over seas), it is the equivalent of a Masters to many other work fields. I hate it when the kids leave to go to a bigger P5 school, but I definitely understand, especially if they put in 4 years at their original school. I probably think the amount of Red Shirts will now diminish due to this rule. Why would schools want a quality kid redshirting if they will probably lose him after their senior year anyway.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball