Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby WSpringsBird » June 30th, 2017, 8:27 am

Veritas wrote:I thought it was an interesting article I posted that would allow many teams to reminisce about some old historic games. I'd read something similar if two historic MoVal members (Bradley and Drake) posted a similar article. It's only when the non contributor MoVal schools post a snarky response do you read that WSU fans defend their school.

I enjoyed the article. Thanks for posting it. Suellentrop does a nice job covering the Shockers.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » June 30th, 2017, 10:47 am

WSpringsBird wrote:
Veritas wrote:I thought it was an interesting article I posted that would allow many teams to reminisce about some old historic games. I'd read something similar if two historic MoVal members (Bradley and Drake) posted a similar article. It's only when the non contributor MoVal schools post a snarky response do you read that WSU fans defend their school.

I enjoyed the article. Thanks for posting it. Suellentrop does a nice job covering the Shockers.

The MVC has been fortunate to have a pretty solid and stable roster of beat writers for its teams over the last 15 years or so. I will miss reading some of those guys' columns.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LanceShock » June 30th, 2017, 11:02 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Absolutely mind-blowing to think the Shockers started 4-20 in the Valley in Marshall's first year and a half. If that happened in today's instant gratification era, people would grow restless regardless of context. Also incredible Wichita was averaging 10k in that time period.

I vaguely remember during that 4-20 stretch, someone on ValleyTalk posting "Gregg Marshall is out of his league in this conference". Long forgotten, but maybe the most infamous MVC quote ever. Anyone remember who posted it?

It depends. I don't think Marshall would have started 4-20 without the injuries to Griskenas and Brauer his first year. I'm not sure how good Griskenas would have been, but he was starting to show signs of being a solid contributor when he was injured, certainly good enough to help that team. Then losing Brauer to the concussion was brutal. He wasn't quite the same when he came back. One thing I remember about that year is that through it all, Marshall had the team show up ready to play. After all the injuries, at times it seemed like they brought a knife to a gun fight, but always were ready to play.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » June 30th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Interesting read.

My favorite memory is the last regular season game of 2011. WSU vs MSU. Tied for first. Winner take all. Best college basketball game I've ever seen live. I would think that even if we had lost. But we won it in a close well played game.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Born2Shock » June 30th, 2017, 3:39 pm

glm38 wrote:Interesting read.

My favorite memory is the last regular season game of 2011. WSU vs MSU. Tied for first. Winner take all. Best college basketball game I've ever seen live. I would think that even if we had lost. But we won it in a close well played game.

I drove down to Springfield for that game, and sat a couple rows behind the WSU bench. It was a fantastic game. I was disappointed in the outcome, but both teams left it out on the floor. It was too bad neither one of those teams played in the NCAA tourney, as I think both couldve done some damage.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shocktheheart » June 30th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Bmarq04 wrote:Is it just me or are shocker fans beginning to equal that old college freshman who constantly comes back to try to get into high school parties? They tell us all about how drunk they get every night and how much they get laid, but they still keep coming back to the high school party. They are so insistent on telling us how great they are, but they fail to realize we just don't care.

If the grass is truly greener on the other side, why do you keep coming back here? I know some of you will say that you're mvc fans, but then you rip on the current members. I would have guessed for as much crap as some of you gave creighton fans for doing the same, that you might have been a little classier.

So the MVC is a high school and the AAC is a college in your analogy?
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » June 30th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Another great WSU and Drake game I remember was the 1980-81 game in Des Moines. Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, Ozell Jones and I think Smithson was the coach and possible his son played the guard position.

It was a battle between the Wichita players, which seemed like they could have started on most NBA teams, and Lewis Lloyd, Pop Wright and Ron Angell stand out in my mind.

Was a lot of people (huge crowd) screaming and hollering and the excitement of a close lead changing game in Vets Auditorium.

Drake ended up losing by 1, I think.

I also think Wichita State beat Iowa and Kansas in the NCAA tournament that year.
One of the Iowa players called a time out with little time left and drew a technical, due to no time outs left..
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » June 30th, 2017, 10:45 pm

I always wanted to take a visit to see Wichita State play in the all the MVC arenas, I figured I had a lifetime to do it. I only made it to SWOMO (new and old arena), Drake, and Creighton. Really wanted to make it to UNI but it never quite worked out. Wish I had gone to SIU in '05 or '06, that would've been fun. Hopefully I can take a trip to some AAC arenas before that conference (or college sports itself) implodes. Philly or Nawlins (etc etc) are at least a little easier to talk myself into than Carbondale or Terre Haute.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » July 1st, 2017, 9:44 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:Another great WSU and Drake game I remember was the 1980-81 game in Des Moines. Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, Ozell Jones and I think Smithson was the coach and possible his son played the guard position.

It was a battle between the Wichita players, which seemed like they could have started on most NBA teams, and Lewis Lloyd, Pop Wright and Ron Angell stand out in my mind.

Was a lot of people (huge crowd) screaming and hollering and the excitement of a close lead changing game in Vets Auditorium.

Drake ended up losing by 1, I think.

I also think Wichita State beat Iowa and Kansas in the NCAA tournament that year.
One of the Iowa called a time out with little time left and drew a technical, due to no time outs left..

I go way back and remember these games. I remember a lot of nationally relevant MVC battles. The F4 Drake team (in 69 I think) with Dolph Pulliam and Maury John, the game in 1964 to break a tie in the MVC and WSU won and went on to the F4 that year, the nationally ranked Bradley teams of the 60's with Chet Walker and 80's and 2006, the SIU teams (of 2006-? I think), not to mention the national MVC battles against ranked teams such as Louisville, Memphis State, Cincinnati, and Tulsa. A lot of great memories and great battles. Good Luck to all of the Valley teams in the future.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » July 1st, 2017, 12:42 pm

Two other memories that made the MVC fun during the past decade, that I thought about after I posted were MSU in 2011 (already mentioned), and the MVC year where UNI (during the 2014-15 I think) and the Shockers went down to the wire. National television came to Wichita for Game Day, and that was a fun memory also. Again, Good Luck to the Valley. :Cheers:
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball