Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Shockers Take One Final Look Back

Postby Aargh » July 1st, 2017, 1:41 pm

I watched the MVC go from the #1 basketball conference in the country to the #12 conference in the country.

I watched teams like Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis leave the conference and be replaced by schools just transitioning from D2 (or college level - whatever they used to call it) to D1. When the Valley used to replace schools that had left, the reaction from WSU fans was often, "who? never heard of them". I doubt current MVC fans would be real thrilled if that was the type of replacement for WSU.

At one time the Valley was filled with schools similar to WSU. Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Tulsa. Urban schools. WSU no longer really fit the image of the MVC. WSU has a lot more in common with the urban type of schools in the AAC than with the schools in "college towns". Athletic Department budsgets were also a bad match between WSU and the rest of the league.

I can't say that I will look back on WSU's departure from the Valley with much nostalgia, or sadness to see the long relationship end. Disappointment in the degradation of the league (even in the last decade) is more likely.

After the post I made about Baker/VanVleet before they had ever played a game and how well that turned out, I started another about Shamet/McDuffie. I'd be happy to keep MVC fans informed of the progress those two make before they leave for the NBA if the fans here would like that information.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » July 1st, 2017, 2:43 pm

I can remember more disappointing losses than exhilarating wins.

There is one game that I will never forget.

It was a Shocker game against Drake.

It was the year that Drake won the conference.

Drake had a point guard. I forget his name, but it sounded like Emmenecker or similar.

The guard had a field day against the Shockers. The Shockers absolutely could not defend him to save their souls.

I also remember the Aces game in Wichita. It was mentioned above. The Aces' best player had an outstanding shot making night. The Shockers had zero answers for defense. He drilled every shot. I wanted so badly for the Shockers to double team him.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » July 1st, 2017, 6:50 pm

Born2Shock wrote:
glm38 wrote:Interesting read.

My favorite memory is the last regular season game of 2011. WSU vs MSU. Tied for first. Winner take all. Best college basketball game I've ever seen live. I would think that even if we had lost. But we won it in a close well played game.

I drove down to Springfield for that game, and sat a couple rows behind the WSU bench. It was a fantastic game. I was disappointed in the outcome, but both teams left it out on the floor. It was too bad neither one of those teams played in the NCAA tourney, as I think both couldve done some damage.

I agree. Both teams were better than the ISUb team that won the tournament and got in IMO.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » July 1st, 2017, 6:52 pm

Aargh wrote:I watched the MVC go from the #1 basketball conference in the country to the #12 conference in the country.

I watched teams like Louisville, Cincinnati, and Memphis leave the conference and be replaced by schools just transitioning from D2 (or college level - whatever they used to call it) to D1. When the Valley used to replace schools that had left, the reaction from WSU fans was often, "who? never heard of them". I doubt current MVC fans would be real thrilled if that was the type of replacement for WSU.

At one time the Valley was filled with schools similar to WSU. Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Tulsa. Urban schools. WSU no longer really fit the image of the MVC. WSU has a lot more in common with the urban type of schools in the AAC than with the schools in "college towns". Athletic Department budsgets were also a bad match between WSU and the rest of the league.

I can't say that I will look back on WSU's departure from the Valley with much nostalgia, or sadness to see the long relationship end. Disappointment in the degradation of the league (even in the last decade) is more likely.

After the post I made about Baker/VanVleet before they had ever played a game and how well that turned out, I started another about Shamet/McDuffie. I'd be happy to keep MVC fans informed of the progress those two make before they leave for the NBA if the fans here would like that information.

Sure. I have an interest in both Shamet and McDuffie.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » July 6th, 2017, 2:39 am

8-) It doesn't bother me much when former league affiliated posters brag a bit and giving their old league faint praise--it happened with several other recent teams with varying results (Creighton did well eventually without their coaches son but Tulsa has never really taken off since leaving)--I'm satisfied with the acquisition of Valpo both from the basketball standpoint and academics--remember there will be extra money coming in from the NCAA soon corresponding to how well teams and leagues graduate their players

The shocks are a great program now--the key will be how they respond if their coach moves on some day--things happen in cycles usually, with teams going up and down--I do remember SIU winning a few before and as few years after their current coach came to Wichita, so it can happen both ways
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby musiccitybulldog » July 6th, 2017, 6:56 am

What makes the sport and the conference interesting is that things do change. To think it won't or don't is a mistake. It wasn't even 10 years ago I was sitting at the conference tournament watching Wichita struggle, the coach got the boot on a couple technicals and I mentioned to my wife "its hard to believe it's come to this at WSU". Well things change. I can remember thinking no one will ever beat SIU in Carbondale. Then followed a period where the Bulldogs had a run in Carbondale.
So with hires that work out-hires that don't, walk on's that become all american's, players that transfer, it can be hard to predict. But things will almost certainly change.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 7th, 2017, 8:26 am

Aargh wrote:I watched the MVC go from the #1 basketball conference in the country to the #12 conference in the country.

Valid points all; I grew up a Valley fan in the 60's as I lived 45 minutes from St Louis and so followed SLU and the Valley before I attended MSU and long before they became a member. I appreciate WSU's perspective on what has happened with the Valley over the years, just not some of your fans blaming that on the Universities that simply took advantage of the opportunity in front of them to join. I think the timing for WSU's departure is right and good for both, and I think both will benefit.

I don't think we need posts about WSU players on this board because that info is readily available to anyone interested via the Shocker board, the AAC board, and news services. Given that, it would seem questionable as to the motivation for it be placed here anymore. If there hadn't been so many posts in the past year about how badly WSU wanted out and how little respect was afforded the remaining Valley schools, it might be different, but I doubt so. JMO
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » August 5th, 2017, 7:47 am

MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BirdsEyeView » August 5th, 2017, 9:25 am

MVCfans wrote:Image

Hahaha is that for real??