Transfer Rules within MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Transfer Rules within MVC

Postby Make MVC Great Again » June 7th, 2017, 7:50 am

Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

I would bet my house on any team in this league's coach having to jump through hoops to get a kid eligible or two. No one is running a true "clean" program. Sorry if that offends any of you.

As far as Hawkins goes, he is doing what is best for him. He owes fans little if not anything. Answer me this, if any of your sons had a chance to play against Coach K, Pitino, Roy Williams, would any of you hold them back?

While I think it is a bad look for ISU and the Valley as a whole, something needs to be done to stop making mid-majors JUCOs for Power-five teams.
Make MVC Great Again
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » June 7th, 2017, 8:17 am

Make MVC Great Again wrote:Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

I would bet my house on any team in this league's coach having to jump through hoops to get a kid eligible or two. No one is running a true "clean" program. Sorry if that offends any of you.

As far as Hawkins goes, he is doing what is best for him. He owes fans little if not anything. Answer me this, if any of your sons had a chance to play against Coach K, Pitino, Roy Williams, would any of you hold them back?

While I think it is a bad look for ISU and the Valley as a whole, something needs to be done to stop making mid-majors JUCOs for Power-five teams.

Who's throwing stones - other than repeatedly pointing out that Illinois State mens' basketball and football "punishes" their athletes lighter than most preschools punish kids for budging in line at lunch time.

Would anyone hold them back? Not if it was the right fit. One of UNI's coaches has a kid that is awful close to being able to play for one of those coaches, he won't be held back. To be fair, Hawkins isn't going to play for one of them. He is going to play for Jim Christian, at Boston College. Jim is 29-67 (6-48 in AAC play) in his three years at BC. The last two years they are 16-48 overall and 2-34 in conference play. Nope, that isn't a typo. They've gone 0-18 and 2-16 the last two years in conference play.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » June 7th, 2017, 9:15 am

uniftw wrote:

That isn't to say he is actually qualified as a grad student. That isn't to say Boston College isn't completely stretching their entrance requirements to get him in - not that they are alone in that redard by any means. I would guess he wouldn't get into any reputable grad program if he was applying as a general student, given his criminal and academic history the last 4-5 years, regardless of field of study.

So not only did he squirm around the conference transfer rules that should have cost him his first year playing at ISUr on top of the year he had to sit out (because he created a murky grey area that no one quite agreed fully on, which is what created this whole can be play/can he not/he can but only not against WSU/he can against everyone because that was a strange ruling). He gets around the being a non-qualifier and gets the year he shouldn't on the back end of his career due to another school giving their academia the middle finger for someone who wouldn't be accepted without athletics pushing it through and won't graduate and won't go to classes.

From the NCAA:
"The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).
A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;

Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;

Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;
A student-athlete statement including the reasons for the transfer
[/b]; and

A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.

Generally the heart of the waiver is the three middle bullets. The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school."

I assume that the NCAA reviews these transfers. One can only think Hawkins would be rejected for one of the above reasons in bold.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » June 7th, 2017, 9:35 am

Right, which all backs exactly what I said.

He's, to his credit, continuing to find loopholes that will allow him to get around the restrictions placed in front of him due to his academic issues.

All that is required is that the new school offers a program Illinois State doesn't, that he is admitted, and tells the NCAA "I really respect that program and believe it will help me after my playing days are over". That's it.

Then it's up to how far whatever school involved wants to go to bend the admission standards for that kid.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » June 7th, 2017, 1:53 pm

3 Questions of Life
1) What is the purpose of life?
2) Why is the sky blue?
3) How did Deontae Hawkins get admitted into graduate school at Boston College?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » July 7th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Redhawk wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Deontae Hawkins: Proof that Illinois State will give a degree to literally anyone.

And Boston College!

@JonRothstein
Deontae Hawkins tells me he's no longer committed to BC, but Eagles are at top of list. Considering New Mexico, Creighton, WKU, and Pacific.
3:50 PM - 6 Jul 2017
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Red » August 15th, 2017, 2:47 pm

And Hawkins is committed back to BC now. WTF? :huh:
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mule » August 16th, 2017, 3:51 am

Red wrote:And Hawkins is committed back to BC now. WTF? :huh:

@JonRothstein
Ohio State transfer JaQuan Lyle has committed to New Mexico, per a source.
12:06 PM - 4 Aug 2017
With Lyle committed, either the scholarship at New Mexico disappeared or the need for Hawkins did.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Dean Wormer » August 16th, 2017, 11:27 am

mule wrote:

@JonRothstein
With Lyle committed, either the scholarship at New Mexico disappeared or the need for Hawkins did.

Lyle is an Evansville kid. Seems like a lot of talent comes out of Evansville and none ever ends up at UE. Does Marty even get conversations with these kids, or is his reputation too tarnished there to even get in the door? I am not aware of anyone notable besides Blake that he has signed from the area. Crews had some decent luck with local guys..Elkins, and Casebier come to mind.
Dean Wormer
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mule » August 16th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Dean Wormer wrote:
mule wrote:

@JonRothstein

Lyle is an Evansville kid. Seems like a lot of talent comes out of Evansville and none ever ends up at UE. Does Marty even get conversations with these kids, or is his reputation too tarnished there to even get in the door? I am not aware of anyone notable besides Blake that he has signed from the area. Crews had some decent luck with local guys..Elkins, and Casebier come to mind.

Dru Smith is from Evansville, was an all-state player and saw considerable time last year. Jack Nunge from Castle (Blake's HS) attended every game his junior year and was recruited hard. Iowa stepped in over the summer of 2016 and that was history.

Crews had Calbert Cheaney all but signed and Bob Knight stepped in and that was that. Crews also had 3 or 4 local players that left the program early.

BTW, Lyle is on his 6th school in 6 years.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball