Scheduling

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Scheduling

Postby MSUDuo » August 27th, 2017, 3:07 pm

AndShock wrote:From the outside, it is painfully obvious that the SWOMO Head Coach and Administration have accepted that they only need to play for one weekend in March. The support being thrown behind Lusk at the end of last season was a bit weird but it all made sense when Wichita State left the conference. With Wichita State gone SWOMO probably has a 20% chance of getting to the NCAA tournament. With Wichita State in the conference it was closer to 2%. SWOMO's administration will pretend they look like geniuses if Lusk can get to the NCAA tournament, even if it's as a 14 seed. Then they will get to use that berth to buy another 5 years of Lusk. It's an easy job when you don't have to hire/fire anyone, you come in under budget, and your're meeting your "goals." If I was a SWOMO fan I would be furious. SWOMO has shown what they have the potential to be just 6 years ago but the administration has no interest in trying to get there.

Some of us are furious.

They aren't getting a dime from me, for any sport, until Lusk and Moats are gone.

Settled for going to away baseball games last year. Not sure how I'm going to get my football or volleyball fixes this year just yet.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » August 27th, 2017, 4:53 pm

I didn't take anything from your post cause if you don't even know the name of the University, you have zero validity. You got run off Bear Nation for that, and tried to give some lame excuse; I don't see any thing different now. A trolls a troll.[/quote]
What more could you expect from a troll who is a fan of Fairmount College? They are all * holes who also enjoyed calling the Aces EU.[/quote]
You can call us Fairmount College. It doesn't offend me at all. Or Not a State. Or Wichita Staty Universite. Getting your panties in a wad over what other fans refer to you as is the weirdest crap ever. The only school that has a case for the whining is UNI because calling them NIU is literally referring to them as a different school. I can start referring to us as Fairmount if it would make you feel better?[/quote]

Or you could just do the obvious grown up thing and type "MSU"?? How hard is that? :Bam:

I do agree with you that I'm pretty mad about this pathetic schedule. Best talent in years and our only shot at the ncaa's is to win arch madness. I'm not going to stop going to games or being a Bears fan though.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » August 27th, 2017, 5:33 pm

SWOMO is ingrained in my mind. It's like if I told you to change the word "the" to "teh" every time you typed it. It would be pretty dang hard unless you're one of those two-finger poker people. That really wasn't the point of my post though, I promise.

At this point I think Missouri State needs a deep dive into the abyss before they can succeed. Same thing with SIU. It's weird because Missouri State wouldn't accept mediocrity with Barry but are fine with it from Lusk. Bradley's a good example of a school who didn't accept mediocrity (Les) and unfortunately took a dive (Ford) but it will all be worth it if Wardle can succeed. It's better to have tried and failed than failed to try.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby VU2014 » August 27th, 2017, 6:51 pm

My thoughts on the MSU schedule is that Lusk & the coaching staff are trying to save their jobs. If they don't make it to the big dance they'll try and spin it that they won 25 games & hope no one mentions the weak non-conference schedule.

This MSU schedule screams job preservation to me... also maybe they'll try and spin it to recruits that they won a lot of games...

Scheduling is extremely tough in this modern era of college basketball but I have to imagine Lusk could have done better if he wanted to. This is seems strategical to me. I really hate to see the projected top teams schedule like this.

I'd love for the MVC presidents to step up and introduce non-conference scheduling standards to improve the odds for the Top Teams in the Conference to get an outright bid every year.
Last edited by VU2014 on August 27th, 2017, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VU2014
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » August 27th, 2017, 7:23 pm

AndShock wrote:SWOMO is ingrained in my mind. It's like if I told you to change the word "the" to "teh" every time you typed it. It would be pretty dang hard unless you're one of those two-finger poker people. That really wasn't the point of my post though, I promise.

At this point I think Missouri State needs a deep dive into the abyss before they can succeed. Same thing with SIU. It's weird because Missouri State wouldn't accept mediocrity with Barry but are fine with it from Lusk. Bradley's a good example of a school who didn't accept mediocrity (Les) and unfortunately took a dive (Ford) but it will all be worth it if Wardle can succeed. It's better to have tried and failed than failed to try.

I'll disagree about MSU and Barry. We had him or 9 years. 9 years without a valley title or an ncaa bid. That's a pretty long time. The same thing will eventually happen with Lusk if he doesn't turn it around.

I would argue that we/MSU were far too accepting of mediocrity in both cases. In the past with Barry and now with Lusk.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » August 27th, 2017, 8:00 pm

VU2014 wrote:My thoughts on the MSU schedule is that Lusk & the coaching staff are trying to save their jobs. If they don't make it to the big dance they'll try and spin it that they won 25 games & hope no one mentions the weak non-conference schedule.

This MSU schedule scream job preservation to me... also maybe they'll try and spin it to recruits that they won a lot of games...

Scheduling is extremely tough in this modern era of college basketball but I have to imagine Lusk could have done better if he wanted to. This is seems strategical to me. I really hate to see the projected top teams schedule like this.

I'd love for the MVC presidents to step up and introduce non-conference scheduling standards to improve the odds for the Top Teams in the Conference to get an outright bid every year.

And Kyle Moats. Moats saves his job by Lusk saving his. This schedule is a golden parachute for Lusk's boss too.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » August 28th, 2017, 4:20 am

glm38 wrote:
AndShock wrote:SWOMO is ingrained in my mind. It's like if I told you to change the word "the" to "teh" every time you typed it. It would be pretty dang hard unless you're one of those two-finger poker people. That really wasn't the point of my post though, I promise.

I'll disagree about MSU and Barry. We had him or 9 years. 9 years without a valley title or an ncaa bid. That's a pretty long time. The same thing will eventually happen with Lusk if he doesn't turn it around.

I would argue that we/MSU were far too accepting of mediocrity in both cases. In the past with Barry and now with Lusk.

I guess Barry could've been fired after Year 5 but he really was good enough to not deserve a firing after that. Postseason appearance in Year 6 and then the epic snub in Year 7 and took 3rd in the MVC's last solid year in Year 8. Then they canned him when he came back down. Barry's record by year looks a heck of a lot better than Lusk's at this point and I'm guessing the difficulty of their schedules is quite different, even if you only look at MVC play.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » August 28th, 2017, 9:03 am

VU2014 wrote:My thoughts on the MSU schedule is that Lusk & the coaching staff are trying to save their jobs. If they don't make it to the big dance they'll try and spin it that they won 25 games & hope no one mentions the weak non-conference schedule.

This MSU schedule screams job preservation to me... also maybe they'll try and spin it to recruits that they won a lot of games...

The Marty Simmons approach to scheduling. Beat a bunch of plebs in the OOC to rack up wins and go "SEE, I'M WINNING 20 GAMES PER YEAR!!!!!"

It's worked for Marty. He's a decade, plus, into being at Evansville using that model. UE fans have mediocrity so ingrained in them at this point, many defend Marty for it.

Is scheduling hard? I mean, it's not that it's easy. However, when WSU and CU were in the MVC they didn't have issues scheduling. UNI doesn't have issues scheduling.

My guess is that it's schools not willing to actually really schedule up. More of a "See, we are trying but we can't get a top 30 school to come to us so we are just going to give up".
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » August 28th, 2017, 9:22 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:And Kyle Moats. Moats saves his job by Lusk saving his. This schedule is a golden parachute for Lusk's boss too.

Except a schedule like this won't solve the more impactful issue which is attendance which has declined dramatically under Lusk. Moats should have taken control of the scheduling and made something happen, but maybe this was a way he could distance himself from Lusk and put it all on him[LUSK] so a firing could be pushed through w/o any resistance. It was close last spring and many were surprised it didn't happen. Who knows, but it is what it is.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » August 28th, 2017, 12:47 pm

uniftw wrote:The Marty Simmons approach to scheduling. Beat a bunch of plebs in the OOC to rack up wins and go "SEE, I'M WINNING 20 GAMES PER YEAR!!!!!"

It's worked for Marty. He's a decade, plus, into being at Evansville using that model. UE fans have mediocrity so ingrained in them at this point, many defend Marty for it.

Is scheduling hard? I mean, it's not that it's easy. However, when WSU and CU were in the MVC they didn't have issues scheduling. UNI doesn't have issues scheduling.

My guess is that it's schools not willing to actually really schedule up. More of a "See, we are trying but we can't get a top 30 school to come to us so we are just going to give up".

Illinois State has also been able to make significant upgrades to it's non-conference schedule in recent years. Finding teams willing to play on the road can be tough, but this nonconf schedule shows that Mo State isn't even trying to put together a decent schedule.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball