Dan Muller

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Dan Muller

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 29th, 2017, 4:59 pm

MVCfans wrote:Muller just agreed to a contract extension with Illinois St through 2024.

His base pay went up by a third. 400k to 600k. The length doesn't mean anything for ISU longterm. Just for dan muller long term should he fail and et fired hell have a nice buyout. If he succeeds hell renegotiate a better contract.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » August 29th, 2017, 6:07 pm

What's owed if Muller leaves?
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 29th, 2017, 6:28 pm

AndShock wrote:What's owed if Muller leaves?

You're going to love this...50-effing-k.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 29th, 2017, 6:31 pm

So, about 23 days of pay. That's it.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » August 30th, 2017, 6:17 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

The buyout would be $50,000 and a future home-and-home series with the Redbirds.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LanceShock » August 30th, 2017, 6:41 am

Redhawk wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

The buyout would be $50,000 and a future home-and-home series with the Redbirds.

If the bolded part is really part of the contract, he has no intention of going anywhere.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Red » August 30th, 2017, 6:49 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
MVCfans wrote:Muller just agreed to a contract extension with Illinois St through 2024.

His base pay went up by a third. 400k to 600k. The length doesn't mean anything for ISU longterm. Just for dan muller long term should he fail and et fired hell have a nice buyout. If he succeeds hell renegotiate a better contract.

If someone wants Muller, that means he did a good enough job here to move up. After all the futility and no NCAA bids I think a lot of us would make that trade.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » August 30th, 2017, 8:21 am

Interesting post from a poster on PantherNation comparing Muller's contract to Jakes....

Thought it worth mentioning, Muller got an extension through 2024. I just want to compare Jacobson and Muller's contracts and achievements, real quick. Because what else should I be doing at 1 AM when I've got class at 7 tomorrow? Unless stated otherwise, all the numbers will default to the upcoming year, not the full contract.

Jacobson:
Term: 10 years (2024-25, recent 2-year extension (2026-27))
Salary (without bonuses) - $850,000, increasing $25,000 annually
Salary (absolute max)* - $1,365,000
Buyout - 40% of the remaining base contract (this year, it'd be $2,260,000, and that's not including the contract extension, which would push it to $3,600,000) There is a clause where Jacobson can designate two schools at the start of the year where the buyout would only be one million.
Other tidbits - Assistants must be in the top-two for payment in the MVC, Jacobson must be in top-three for payment in the MVC (I don't think this will be an issue)
Accomplishments: 2 MVC Regular Season Champs, 4 Arch Madness Champs, 3 MVC COTY, 2 victories over the #1 ranked team in the country, 4-4 record in the NCAA Tournament, including 1 Sweet Sixteen Appearance, #11 Final Ranking in 2015, received votes in 7 years, all of which in the last 8 seasons.

Muller:
Term: 7 years (2023-24)
Salary (without bonuses): $550,000, increasing to $600,000 in 2018-19
Salary (absolute max): ??? I couldn't find any information about bonuses, but I'd guess they'd look similar to Jacobson's, but not as big. So we'll conservatively say $850,000
Buyout: $50,000, with a required home-and-home between ISUr and the team he went to.
Accomplishments: 1 MVC Regular Season Champs, 1 MVC COTY, 2-2 in the NIT, received votes last year

I love the buyout differences, I think that speaks volumes. Jacobson is gosh dang locked in, 5 million for a school to gain the ability to sign him to an (assumedly) $2,000,000 contract. Muller, on the other hand, his buyout essentially boils down to a midsize sedan. And that cute little detail about the home-and-home. It straddles the line between a deterrent and an incentive for other teams to take him, that's just one less game you need to schedule. Again, Jacobson's buyout is 20x more than Muller's on discount. It's amazing.

Personally, I think that the buyout price tells me that they don't really care about him being there long term. And since it's so easy for him to peace out, I foresee him being gone within the next four years or so.

I want a competitive MVC, but apparently there are only two or three schools that agree.

* Absolute Max for Jacobson is the base salary plus the incentives he receives for MVC COTY (10k), MVC Reg Season Champs (15k), Arch Maddness Champs (15k), NCAA Tourney Champs from play in game (25k for qualifying, 40k per win, and 100k for Final Four), and an average of 6,000 fans on the year (35k). Does not include things like free tickets, trip expenses, vehicle rental, the like. Just the straight cash homie.

I can't really disagree with his assessment, especially when it comes to the buy out and ISUr accepting that if he wins he is gone and Muller going "If I win I want an easy out". Meanwhile Jake agreed to a buy out that would require anyone trying to poach him to pony up over 5 million dollars in year one. You want to talk about a guy feeling like he doesn't want to leave a place. A guy that feels at home where he is. A guy that feels he can/will build a long term player in the NCAA world? It's not the guy whose buy out is a sneeze for even a small school. His buy out is essentially an Audi A6, and that's base model.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rally » August 30th, 2017, 8:34 am

LanceShock wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

If the bolded part is really part of the contract, he has no intention of going anywhere.

I don't think it really means anything. It's either a home/home series or an additional monetary buyout. It's become pretty common in mid-major coaches contracts.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BradleyFan71 » August 30th, 2017, 11:29 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

How exactly is that a third?
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball