Dan Muller

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Dan Muller

Postby Mikovio » August 30th, 2017, 11:40 am

That buyout is a joke. If Muller does tank and they want to get rid of him, they have to pay him through the nose through 2024. If Muller does well and wants to leave, he or whatever school hires him pays $50k and either does a home/home or pays whatever it costs to buy that. It's hard to see how this benefits them beyond showing good faith I guess. The salary increase helps but you need a good buyout in case a P5 comes calling, and those ADs have $50k in their couch cushions.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mule » August 30th, 2017, 12:00 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
MVCfans wrote:Muller just agreed to a contract extension with Illinois St through 2024.

His base pay went up by a third. 400k to 600k. The length doesn't mean anything for ISU longterm. Just for dan muller long term should he fail and et fired hell have a nice buyout. If he succeeds hell renegotiate a better contract.

How exactly is that a third?

I hope he isn't a math teacher!
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redhawk » August 30th, 2017, 12:23 pm

LanceShock wrote:
Redhawk wrote:The buyout would be $50,000 and a future home-and-home series with the Redbirds.

If the bolded part is really part of the contract, he has no intention of going anywhere.

I would tend to agree with you LanceShock. Muller has upped his recruiting game with Clarance this year,
dueling with Kansas for Zion Griffin next year and beat Illinois with a verbal from Chris Payton for 2019.
His future looks very bright in Normal...especially with the departure of #1 nemesis Gregg Marshall.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » August 30th, 2017, 3:44 pm

You guys are arguing semantics on buyouts here!!

The real talk is he can FINALLY afford to buy himself fitted dress pants and shoes that match said pants. It's a great day in Redbird Nation!
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » August 30th, 2017, 3:45 pm

uniftw's buddy wrote:
I love the buyout differences, I think that speaks volumes. Jacobson is gosh dang locked in, 5 million for a school to gain the ability to sign him to an (assumedly) $2,000,000 contract. Muller, on the other hand, his buyout essentially boils down to a midsize sedan. And that cute little detail about the home-and-home. It straddles the line between a deterrent and an incentive for other teams to take him, that's just one less game you need to schedule. Again, Jacobson's buyout is 20x more than Muller's on discount. It's amazing.

Personally, I think that the buyout price tells me that they don't really care about him being there long term. And since it's so easy for him to peace out, I foresee him being gone within the next four years or so.

I want a competitive MVC, but apparently there are only two or three schools that agree.

What a moronic conclusion from an otherwise solid statement of facts he laid out.

Jacobson's contract was given after a 30 win season which saw the NCAA tournament. His accolades listed happened prior to his contract he received...
Muller's contract was given after a 20 win season which saw an NIT invite.

To conclude that only two or three schools want a competitive MVC based on a salary and buyout that's different as the coaches have reached different levels to this point is asinine. But, typical from this fan base.

Muller's recruiting at a different level than even HE has done in the past. He's landed a few absolute studs here, and we'll see what happens moving forward. But freaking out over a buyout and comparing coaches who have different accomplishments to this point? An exercise in stupidity.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AndShock » August 30th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Marshall's buyout is like 10% of his yearly salary. Good coaches hold the bargaining power. Isn't Jacobson's buyout severely discounted for 3 schools of his choosing or something? Jacobson knows what he wants and is willing to give up something (large buyout) but he still gets what he wants. Marshall and Muller are willing to listen to any suitors that come along and as far as Marshall goes, he doesn't really have a dream job he's had had his eyes set on forever.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » August 30th, 2017, 6:56 pm

AndShock wrote:Marshall's buyout is like 10% of his yearly salary. Good coaches hold the bargaining power. Isn't Jacobson's buyout severely discounted for 3 schools of his choosing or something? Jacobson knows what he wants and is willing to give up something (large buyout) but he still gets what he wants. Marshall and Muller are willing to listen to any suitors that come along and as far as Marshall goes, he doesn't really have a dream job he's had had his eyes set on forever.

350k is it for Marshall? I thought it would be more, that's nothing for a p5.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » August 30th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
AndShock wrote:Marshall's buyout is like 10% of his yearly salary. Good coaches hold the bargaining power. Isn't Jacobson's buyout severely discounted for 3 schools of his choosing or something? Jacobson knows what he wants and is willing to give up something (large buyout) but he still gets what he wants. Marshall and Muller are willing to listen to any suitors that come along and as far as Marshall goes, he doesn't really have a dream job he's had had his eyes set on forever.

350k is it for Marshall? I thought it would be more, that's nothing for a p5.

$350K isn't the problem for a P5 going after Marshall. $3.5 mill is the problem and the fact he's turned down $4.2 mill. That causes some P5's to kinda shake in their boots. Then there's the problem that some fanbases think Marshall is kind of a jerk.

We thank our MVC brothers for spreading the word that Marshall is a jerk. That's helped keep him at WSU. We appreciate your help.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » September 1st, 2017, 5:49 am

I think Marshall is perfect for his fan base
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby RoyalShock » September 1st, 2017, 8:01 am

Does the home-and-home clause also include a buyout? If so, just add that to the $50k, because no coach wants to turn around and play the school he just left.

Glad to hear he's having some recruiting success. The question now is, how long can he keep them?

Whether he deserved a raise after this past season is debatable. However, that probably is the going rate for a decent coach if you want to get to the next level of success: winning an outright conference championship, getting to the NCAA tournament. So kudos to ISU for being willing to do that and not just remain at the status quo, hoping for different results. They clearly believe Muller is the guy to get them to the NCAAs, and he very well may be in 2-3 years.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball