Early MVC Predictions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early MVC Predictions

Postby BEARZ77 » September 20th, 2017, 10:41 am

Khan4Cats wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:...

And your stone cold lock for who is clearly better?.....

I think that's the beauty of college basketball; on paper both LOC and MSU are significantly better in returning talent and probably overall rosters. But both have glaring issues on the bench and Jake becomes the equalizer in any argument at this point in the preseason. And the other great thing in college is who knows who might be an Alize Johnson. Not many were paying him that much attention this time last year, now he's arguably the best player in the league. Could happen for any number of players on any given team. I can understand an argument for a top 1-3 finish for any of 6 teams at this point, so I fully understand their fan base making those. I don't make a strong argument for MSU because I've seen too much of Lusk, but I have no lack of confidence that no MVC team will out talent us this year like a WSU has been able to do.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » September 20th, 2017, 11:38 am

Khan4Cats wrote:

From a strictly predictions standpoint based on (in order of importance)

A) Returning Players (and their impact as returners from last year, not avg 1 ppg types)
B) Incoming Recruits
C) Point Guard Play
D) Coaching Acumen

Based on just predictions on the above standards in tiers...

Missouri State
Loyola
SIU
UNI
ISUr
Valpo
Indy St
Bradley
Drake
Evansville
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby goramblers2011 » September 20th, 2017, 3:18 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:

I think that's the beauty of college basketball; on paper both LOC and MSU are significantly better in returning talent and probably overall rosters. But both have glaring issues on the bench and Jake becomes the equalizer in any argument at this point in the preseason. And the other great thing in college is who knows who might be an Alize Johnson. Not many were paying him that much attention this time last year, now he's arguably the best player in the league. Could happen for any number of players on any given team. I can understand an argument for a top 1-3 finish for any of 6 teams at this point, so I fully understand their fan base making those. I don't make a strong argument for MSU because I've seen too much of Lusk, but I have no lack of confidence that no MVC team will out talent us this year like a WSU has been able to do.

I wouldn't even say it's an argument. He is clearly the best player in the league, imo. Really looking forward to watching him play this year.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » September 20th, 2017, 6:32 pm

I certainly would agree that Alize is the best player in the league. I thought he was the best player I saw last year.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » September 21st, 2017, 10:33 am

ACECARD wrote:I certainly would agree that Alize is the best player in the league. I thought he was the best player I saw last year.

Thanks. It's nice to know he's appreciated by other fan bases too. He can just do so many things. That's what makes him so valuable and also fun to watch.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » September 21st, 2017, 11:04 am

goramblers2011 wrote:
I wouldn't even say it's an argument. He is clearly the best player in the league, imo. Really looking forward to watching him play this year.

I'm not sure it's even close either. For those of you that didn't see, he went to the Adidas Nations camp this summer along with a lot of high major guys (NBA level guys) and he won the MVP award for the camp. He's primed for a breakout year.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Tom Servo » September 21st, 2017, 1:59 pm

I agree that he's by far the best player. He's extremely under-utilized at Missouri State, in my opinion. They don't get him the ball enough. I'd certainly love to have him on our team...

I remember watching a couple of their games last year where some of the guards would dribble the clock away and throw up a desperation shot with Johnson never touching the ball.

It seems the ball should be in his hands at least once every possession, preferably in the post. Then when the double teams come, he'll be able to dish off to the three point shooters for wide open shots. But what do I know...
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » September 21st, 2017, 3:39 pm

Tom Servo wrote:I agree that he's by far the best player. He's extremely under-utilized at Missouri State, in my opinion. They don't get him the ball enough. I'd certainly love to have him on our team...

I remember watching a couple of their games last year where some of the guards would dribble the clock away and throw up a desperation shot with Johnson never touching the ball.

It seems the ball should be in his hands at least once every possession, preferably in the post. Then when the double teams come, he'll be able to dish off to the three point shooters for wide open shots. But what do I know...

I think losing Dequon Miller is addition by subtraction for this reason exactly from last year. Alize will be better off without Miller around.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » September 21st, 2017, 5:37 pm

E-Villan wrote:My guess is he was taught if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.....

I don't think the question is why does a random MVC fan fail to analyze this year's UE team, rather why does a coach entering his 11th season have his program in such sad shape that a random MVC fan doesn't have the desire to even analyze it?

I hate reading these posts and predictions, I really do..but what is incorrect? I sincerely hope I am wrong, but this shaping up to be a disaster. Again, is the problem the posters making the predictions, or the veteran coach not able to get any prediction more optimistic than a repeat of his 9th place finish?

1. To the first point you are correct. (See Pt. 3)
2. No, the question was addressed to the MVC fan and not about the coach.
3.I don't know what will happen on the court this season. I will remain optimistic. I do know that if there is a post from you about Evansville basketball, it will be critical of the Evansville coach, program, and the administration. Seen it here, seen it on PurpleAcesFans.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Drakey » September 21st, 2017, 7:50 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:

From a strictly predictions standpoint based on (in order of importance)

A) Returning Players (and their impact as returners from last year, not avg 1 ppg types)
B) Incoming Recruits
C) Point Guard Play
D) Coaching Acumen

Based on just predictions on the above standards in tiers...

Missouri State
Loyola
SIU
UNI
ISUr
Valpo
Indy St
Bradley
Drake
Evansville

This seems well reasoned and about as accurate s one could be at this point. I think nobody form any of those three groupings could move up or down a group though, and a couple probably will.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball