Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » September 22nd, 2017, 11:19 am

Rooting for him. He's the only player who'll get me to watch an NBA game.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » September 23rd, 2017, 8:23 am

Good for him. Ron Baker is probably my favorite non bears mvc player of all time.

Too bad he's stuck in the wasteland that is Knicks basketball. I would think that would be depressing to someone like Ron that had won at every level pre NBA. Probably more opportunity with a loser though at this early stage of his career. I don't think the Knicks have a chance at turning it around until they can dump Carmelo.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » September 23rd, 2017, 8:40 pm

glm38 wrote:Good for him. Ron Baker is probably my favorite non bears mvc player of all time.

Too bad he's stuck in the wasteland that is Knicks basketball. I would think that would be depressing to someone like Ron that had won at every level pre NBA. Probably more opportunity with a loser though at this early stage of his career. I don't think the Knicks have a chance at turning it around until they can dump Carmelo.

They just dumped Carmelo. Traded him to OKC for a post player, a power forward and a second round pick next year. The power forward is Doug McDermott, who, in his college career, had fewer blocked shots than Conner Frankamp.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » September 24th, 2017, 6:30 am

That's good news for the Knicks and Ron IMO.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » May 26th, 2019, 2:09 pm

#betonyourself
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » May 27th, 2019, 9:53 am

Also being coached by UNI Alum Nick Nurse.

Nurse had UNIs all time three pointers made record until Matt Bohannon broke it in 2016.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » July 27th, 2019, 11:02 pm

The life of "When Does The AAC Implode" prompted me to bring this one back.

Baker was offered a 2-way contract (G-League and 45 days on the main team's roster) by the Long Island Nets. It looks like he's going to turn that down to play for a team out of Russia for more money. The team he's likely playing for broke a record for having the highest payroll in the history of Euro Leagues.

You probably heard about VanVleet. He's dragged an NBA championship trophy in a parade through the streets of Rockford. While doing that he made a plea to the teens in Rockford to "bet on themselves", reject a street life of guns and drugs, and pursue success.

He also bought his Mom and his Stepdad a nice house and paid off the mortgage on the house he grew up in.

While on this subject, I may as well mention Landry Shamet. Made 2nd team All-NBA-Rookie team (10 members).

Shamet ran a basketball camp in Wichita. Gave 100% of the proceeds to South Central Kansas Boys and Girls Club. That club is an after-school program for kids whose parents aren't home when they get home from school. The program gives them a place to gather with other teens in similar circumstances, and gives those teens positive things to do instead of hanging out on the streets.

If anyone noticed the date of Baker and VanVleet's first game at WSU, this post was started before they played a game at WSU.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » July 28th, 2019, 12:50 pm

I was pulling for the Raptors for two reasons. 1. To shut the Warriors down and 2. To see Fred win it.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » July 28th, 2019, 2:17 pm

I was pulling for the Warriors. But Fred too. He's a class act. Barring injury he should have a long nba career.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » December 30th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Baker and VanVleet both named to the Lute Olsen All-Decade team. 25 players from 2011-2019 were recognized. Baker and Vanvleet both made the list. Doug McDermott also made the list. MVC fans were watching some talent that may have been better than they thought they were watching. 3 of 25 of the top players in the nation in that era came out of the MVC.

https://www.ksn.com/sports/baker-vanvleet-named-to-lute-olson-all-decade-team/
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball