FBI crackdown on "bribery, corruption, and fraud" in NCAA

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Red » September 26th, 2017, 11:17 am

Oh man the $hit's hitting the fan right now in Louisville. And probably at lots of schools.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: FBI crackdown on "bribery, corruption, and fraud" in NCA

Postby mvfcfan » September 26th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Red wrote:Oh man the $hit's hitting the fan right now in Louisville. And probably at lots of schools.

Hopefully Rick Pitino gets fired over this. He shouldn't have survived the sex scandal in the first place. So the countdown begins. How long will it take before he's gone? Tomorrow, the end of the week?

I'm hearing people calling for the death penalty for the whole Louisville basketball program already. At the very least they should'nt be allowed to compete in the NCAA tournament for many years to come.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » September 26th, 2017, 3:03 pm

I wonder what they would find if they looked into the football program also?
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Old School MVC » September 26th, 2017, 8:39 pm

ACECARD wrote:I wonder what they would find if they looked into the football program also?

Even a BIGGER Scum bag as a head coach. Petrino is almost as low as it gets!
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » September 27th, 2017, 9:55 am

Louisville might be facing death penalty. Arizona and Miami both in deep doo doo after paying $150,000 to a player. Say good bye to Bruce Pearl at Auburn. OK St, S Carolina, & USC in trouble too.

Cost 2013 Wichita a Title Game.
Cost 2015 N Iowa a Sweet 16.
Cost 2016 Wichita a Sweet 16.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 27th, 2017, 11:00 am

This is going to go much deeper than those 4 right now.

At the MVC level we should be alright - but let's not kid ourselves and pretend MVC level teams aren't doing some of the same kind of things. Most MMs that are doing the same type of thing are probably safe though as they probably aren't getting their money from their clothing supplier to get guys on campus.

I'd look for programs like WKU and Dayton to get looked at. WKU's whole thing with Michael Robinson this year is screaming for an investigation. Archie Miller being involved
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » September 27th, 2017, 11:50 am

Anyone connected to the individuals indicted should be very worried. When faced with the prospect of federal prison, they will start singing like canaries.

With the FBI leading this instead of the NCAA, it won't get pinned on a token low/mid-major to make an example of. The NCAA looked the other way to protect it's golden nest egg. The FBI doesn't care about that at all.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » September 27th, 2017, 12:01 pm

uniftw wrote:This is going to go much deeper than those 4 right now.

At the MVC level we should be alright - but let's not kid ourselves and pretend MVC level teams aren't doing some of the same kind of things. Most MMs that are doing the same type of thing are probably safe though as they probably aren't getting their money from their clothing supplier to get guys on campus.

I'd look for programs like WKU and Dayton to get looked at. WKU's whole thing with Michael Robinson this year is screaming for an investigation. Archie Miller being involved

Fingers crossed for Gregg Marshall and Wichita State.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » September 27th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

Not that I think they were/we'd be able to find proof of it but it is always interesting when programs go from being pretty bad to all of a sudden signing classes just loaded of 4-5* kids every year as soon as a coach gets there.

Again, I'm not saying WSU did. Nor would they have been alone in it. There are plenty of other programs that fit this bill. Dayton, Western Kentucky, etc...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » September 27th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

Sad.

A common criticism of Gregg is that he hasn't been able to turn a Final Four and undefeated season into great recruiting classes or even nab any highly ranked recruits. Shamet might actually be the only top 100 recruit Gregg has ever landed and he was like #87 or something. Gregg has been recruiting with a hand tied behind his back and he's still managing to put out a a top 25 team every single year.

Not that I think they were/we'd be able to find proof of it but it is always interesting when programs go from being pretty bad to all of a sudden signing classes just loaded of 4-5* kids every year as soon as a coach gets there.

Again, I'm not saying WSU did. Nor would they have been alone in it. There are plenty of other programs that fit this bill. Dayton, Western Kentucky, etc...

Wichita State does not "fit this bill." I don't really think Dayton does either.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball