Official 2017-18 MVCfans.com Prediction - 7th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 7th place during the 2017-18 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at October 8th, 2017, 5:08 am

Bradley
44%
Illinois State
11%
Loyola
2%
Missouri State
2%
Northern Iowa
5%
Southern Illinois
17%
Valparaiso
20%

Total votes : 64

Re: Official 2017-18 MVCfans.com Prediction - 7th Place

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » October 6th, 2017, 7:17 am

mvfcfan wrote:Valparaiso is actually a compete right away add, which is why we went after them. At the very least I'm expecting top 3 from the Crusaders.

I don't agree with this at all. You lost your best player. Moving to a tougher conference. And, recruits aren't a sure thing. You hope they're good but we have no idea. Loyola, MSU, and Southern all have good teams coming back. ISU and UNI are in the midst of things every year despite whatever they may go though because they have great coaching. Maybe they aren't top tier but they're not going to be near the bottom, either. Bradley showed some promise last season but they were so far away I think its still another year, but who knows. That's why I have Valpo finishing in a fight for 6th or 7th. I could see as high as fourth. But, winning the conference? You're just being a homer.
Last edited by Jsnhbe1Birds on October 6th, 2017, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pafan » October 6th, 2017, 7:18 am

vu72 wrote:Valpo is picked 3rd or 4th by the pre-season magazines, not 7th.

Which magazines have already published a pre-season MVC straw poll? I would have guessed any of these would be in a November issue, behind a WWWWindians World Series cover.

I voted for SIU here 7th. I see them as a near-.500 team...
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby BEARZ77 » October 6th, 2017, 8:41 am

I don't put a lot of stock in preseason mags ; anyone who has a little knowledge can pick the obvious top level teams. My experience is that while fan bases tend to be homers, many of them also are more informed on roster additions/deletions, know who the players they saw last year who were under the radar for other teams etc. etc, . I think a good part of the info even our own local radio and media guys get comes from browsing team and conference fan boards; I know we usually know things well before they do.

That said I've only browsed one mag this year so far, it was Athlon, and it had MSU first UNI,LOC,ISUr,Valpo, SIU,BU, ISUb,UE,DU. For whatever that's worth, probably not much. So many things can happen yet; for example MSU had a significant scare the past week as Alize sprained his MCL. Doesn't look major, but he will be held out of much activity at least about 4 weeks. This time last year he wasn't even a blip on most MVC teams radar, just a solid juco add for MSU. I'm sure there are guys on rosters most of us have no inkling how well they might be playing and who will alter the landscape significantly. Polls are fun, and I like to hear various fan bases defend why they think they're right/wrong, but in the end, it's all conjecture till we play games.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby vu72 » October 6th, 2017, 8:43 am

pafan wrote:
vu72 wrote:Valpo is picked 3rd or 4th by the pre-season magazines, not 7th.

Which magazines have already published a pre-season MVC straw poll? I would have guessed any of these would be in a November issue, behind a WWWWindians World Series cover.

I voted for SIU here 7th. I see them as a near-.500 team...

Lindy's and Street and Smith's
vu72
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » October 6th, 2017, 9:03 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:Valparaiso is actually a compete right away add, which is why we went after them. At the very least I'm expecting top 3 from the Crusaders.

I don't agree with this at all. You lost your best player. Moving to a tougher conference. And, recruits aren't a sure thing. You hope they're good but we have no idea. Loyola, MSU, and Southern all have good teams coming back. ISU and UNI are in the midst of things every year despite whatever they may go though because they have great coaching. Maybe they aren't top tier but they're not going to be near the bottom, either. Bradley showed some promise last season but they were so far away I think its still another year, but who knows. That's why I have Valpo finishing in a fight for 6th or 7th. I could see as high as fourth. But, winning the conference? You're just being a homer.

A guy whose handle is mvfcfan and just said "that's why we [MVC] went after them" is a Valpo fan and homer...are you for real?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » October 6th, 2017, 9:04 am

Bradley tied for 6th last year and they lost no one, so I don't see them regressing with Wardle at the helm in a non-Wichita State league.

I voted Valpo since they are the new kids in town, but I think they will be hungry to prove themselves and could finish higher than this.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby chitown fanatic » October 6th, 2017, 9:11 am

ptownbraves wrote:Bradley tied for 6th last year and they lost no one, so I don't see them regressing with Wardle at the helm in a non-Wichita State league.

I voted Valpo since they are the new kids in town, but I think they will be hungry to prove themselves and could finish higher than this.

This. No doubt in my mind this is the year we leave the abyss for good. Valpo is my vote here but I could see barry in this spot too.
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby LanceShock » October 6th, 2017, 9:37 am

I would agree that what I saw of Bradley last year is a program on its way up.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Tom Servo » October 6th, 2017, 10:19 am

SIU...I just don't see them finishing any higher than this.
Go Aces!
Tom Servo
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » October 6th, 2017, 10:22 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

A guy whose handle is mvfcfan and just said "that's why we [MVC] went after them" is a Valpo fan and homer...are you for real?

He's still trying to figure out the difference between ISUb and ISUr :Beer:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball