Official 2017-18 MVCfans.com Prediction - 7th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 7th place during the 2017-18 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at October 8th, 2017, 5:08 am

Bradley
44%
Illinois State
11%
Loyola
2%
Missouri State
2%
Northern Iowa
5%
Southern Illinois
17%
Valparaiso
20%

Total votes : 64

Re: Official 2017-18 MVCfans.com Prediction - 7th Place

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » October 6th, 2017, 10:29 am

LOL, yes, I read the ISU thing wrong. But, touché.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tdawgs87 » October 6th, 2017, 10:41 am

Although, I am not a big fan of Barry Hinson, I believe that this will be his best team at SIU. The Valley is a guard league and SIU will have their best group of guards since Barry has been here. SIU finished dead last in shooting the three last year and dead last in defending the three last year and still finished tied for 3rd. We will miss the presence of Sean O'brien but other than that we will be much improved. Our guards definitely fit better with what Hinson wants to do.
tdawgs87
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » October 6th, 2017, 11:08 am

tdawgs87 wrote:Although, I am not a big fan of Barry Hinson, I believe that this will be his best team at SIU. The Valley is a guard league and SIU will have their best group of guards since Barry has been here. SIU finished dead last in shooting the three last year and dead last in defending the three last year and still finished tied for 3rd. We will miss the presence of Sean O'brien but other than that we will be much improved. Our guards definitely fit better with what Hinson wants to do.

I'm super high on them. I could see them being first.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tdawgs87 » October 6th, 2017, 11:35 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
tdawgs87 wrote:Although, I am not a big fan of Barry Hinson, I believe that this will be his best team at SIU. The Valley is a guard league and SIU will have their best group of guards since Barry has been here. SIU finished dead last in shooting the three last year and dead last in defending the three last year and still finished tied for 3rd. We will miss the presence of Sean O'brien but other than that we will be much improved. Our guards definitely fit better with what Hinson wants to do.

I'm super high on them. I could see them being first.

I didn't even mention the fact that we signed a legitimate 6'10 juco that has a huge upside in Kavion Pippen. I can't see us finishing lower than we did last year especially with Wichita leaving and Illinois State losing a ton of talent. I really think SIU has a chance to be really good this season. :D
tdawgs87
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bbtds » October 6th, 2017, 11:58 am

BCPanther wrote:
oklahomacrusader wrote:Yes, Valpo lost it's best player to the NBA and leaves a lot of questions. However, they will surprise the valley fans and finish top 4

Valpo's ceiling is 5th. They aren't better than UNI, Illinois State, Loyola or Missouri State. They're in the 5th-7th tier with SIU and Bradley.

A down Valley year is still better than the best year the Horizon can put together and I don't think this will be a down Valley year, that was last year.

Wrong!

Valpo has some of it's best talent ever coming to this year's team. Yes, there will be a period of adjustment as the players get acquainted to their style of play but Lottich is a good coach and these players will show their talent when the conference season gets going. I don't see Valpo finishing below 5th place. You really have no idea what kind of talent you will be facing and you are making total guesses at where Valpo will finish.
bbtds
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » October 6th, 2017, 12:03 pm

The othe 9 teams in the Valley have 16 games against tams they know already, very well acquainted with. Valpo has 30 against teams they aren't well acquainted with. Twice as many.
Last edited by Jsnhbe1Birds on October 6th, 2017, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 6th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Gotta love the preseason posturing by each fan base here.

I will be a realist for ISUr as a fan. Our incoming Freshman savior pg is out 6-8 weeks with a stress fracture during the most important time for his development learning the offense and defense. We also lost our sharp shooting recruit from California, Zack Copeland, before the season too.

My hopes are not high for us this year. I am hoping for 10-8 or something around there.

I doubt we finish here, but I am trying to be realistic here. Guessing 5th or 6th.

I think your bottom 3 are clear. Everyone else is battling for position on a league that will likely get the 13 or 14 seed in the NCAAs
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » October 6th, 2017, 6:04 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Gotta love the preseason posturing by each fan base here.

I will be a realist for ISUr as a fan. Our incoming Freshman savior pg is out 6-8 weeks with a stress fracture during the most important time for his development learning the offense and defense. We also lost our sharp shooting recruit from California, Zack Copeland, before the season too.

My hopes are not high for us this year. I am hoping for 10-8 or something around there.

I doubt we finish here, but I am trying to be realistic here. Guessing 5th or 6th.

I think your bottom 3 are clear. Everyone else is battling for position on a league that will likely get the 13 or 14 seed in the NCAAs

A lot of change and adversity for you guys right now. The stress fractures can be frustrating. Hopefully the medical staff stays on top of it and gets him back in there at the proper time. The Shocks have a couple of players out right now with stress fractures as well.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BradleyFan71 » October 9th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:The othe 9 teams in the Valley have 16 games against tams they know already, very well acquainted with. Valpo has 30 against teams they aren't well acquainted with. Twice as many.

What?
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ahunte1 » October 10th, 2017, 8:11 am

BradleyFan71 wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:The othe 9 teams in the Valley have 16 games against tams they know already, very well acquainted with. Valpo has 30 against teams they aren't well acquainted with. Twice as many.

What?

I've been trying to figure this one out, too. :huh:
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball