P5 Confs moving to 20 game Conf schedules Hurts Mid-Majors

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: P5 Confs moving to 20 game Conf schedules Hurts Mid-Majo

Postby TheAsianSensation » October 26th, 2017, 6:23 pm

uniftw wrote:The move of the ACC and B10, with the Big East, PAC12, SEC and probably B12 not far behind, is nothing other than a way to strangle everyone else out of the NCAA tournament.

I would argue that the main purpose of this is television. Helping to keep mid-majors out of the NCAA tournament is a really really nice side effect, but I do think is a secondary concern.

That's a big factor in all this - all of us here in mid-major conferences are worrying, but the P5 are all worrying about the television aspect of this first. We're not even the primary target of this change.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » October 27th, 2017, 7:23 am

What happens when the P5 spends and spends into oblivion and then the TV bubble bursts? A lot of these schools are mortgaged up to their eyeballs (*cough Iowa State cough*) and their main source of paying off those loans couldn't be more tenuous...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 27th, 2017, 8:35 am

I suspect in 25 years, college football stadiums will be giant relics of a bygone era --- sitting and decaying as sad reminders of a sport that ate it's own. And I say this as someone who loves football. I've officiated HS fb for 22 years.

We are already seeing the changes at the high school level. Rosters are shrinking as parents fear the effects. The sport will either be significantly different in a quarter-century or it will be done. Either way, that will have significant impact on TV revenue and the college athletics business model.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » October 27th, 2017, 8:58 am

TheAsianSensation wrote:
uniftw wrote:The move of the ACC and B10, with the Big East, PAC12, SEC and probably B12 not far behind, is nothing other than a way to strangle everyone else out of the NCAA tournament.

I would argue that the main purpose of this is television. Helping to keep mid-majors out of the NCAA tournament is a really really nice side effect, but I do think is a secondary concern.

That's a big factor in all this - all of us here in mid-major conferences are worrying, but the P5 are all worrying about the television aspect of this first. We're not even the primary target of this change.

There are Big 10 AD's on record - granted with anonymity - stating the goal is to strangle mid majors out.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 27th, 2017, 9:19 am

unipanther99 wrote:I suspect in 25 years, college football stadiums will be giant relics of a bygone era --- sitting and decaying as sad reminders of a sport that ate it's own. And I say this as someone who loves football. I've officiated HS fb for 22 years.

We are already seeing the changes at the high school level. Rosters are shrinking as parents fear the effects. The sport will either be significantly different in a quarter-century or it will be done. Either way, that will have significant impact on TV revenue and the college athletics business model.

:+1:

Well said. A true long-term concern for the P5 schools who make boatloads of money with their college football programs.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » October 27th, 2017, 8:47 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:I suspect in 25 years, college football stadiums will be giant relics of a bygone era --- sitting and decaying as sad reminders of a sport that ate it's own. And I say this as someone who loves football. I've officiated HS fb for 22 years.

:+1:

Well said. A true long-term concern for the P5 schools who make boatloads of money with their college football programs.

I see this happening as well. The only thing that might save the sport down the road is a better more technologically advanced protective helmet. Either that or as you state a radical rules change that eliminates a lot of contact.

If neither of those happens and football dwindles it will be interesting to see what happens to fill the void. Will college bb become even bigger?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » October 28th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Football will be the new boxing. Only underprivileged kids playing it.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » October 29th, 2017, 10:22 am

BCPanther wrote:What happens when the P5 spends and spends into oblivion and then the TV bubble bursts?

For most P5 schools (which are almost all publics): taxpayer bailouts. I can't wait to bail out Purdue and IU in 5-10 years :buddies:

unipanther99 wrote:We are already seeing the changes at the high school level. Rosters are shrinking as parents fear the effects.

I've noticed this too. Part of it might be the growth of Ice Hockey and Lacrosse in Evansville over the years I've lived here, but HS football does seem to be in decline.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » March 16th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
Rogers101 wrote:
Red wrote:Good luck trying to convince mid-major ADs to not take buy games. They need the money.

Understood in football, but is the $$ in basketball buy games that much? I'm asking because I honestly do not know.

Schools are making $50,000 to $100,000 on each "buy" games. MVC schools can take a couple buy games and pay for their coaches salary.

Hope all those years of sneering at other teams’ fans was worth it. You and Loyola are now the talk of the tournament. Congrats!
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball