If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose 2 (you may change your vote later)

Murray State
47%
Oral Roberts
8%
Northern Kentucky
21%
North Dakota State
4%
South Dakota State
4%
South Dakota
3%
Other (please comment)
13%

Total votes : 159

Re: If we go to 12 who do you want (choose 2) poll?

Postby uniguy » August 23rd, 2017, 5:23 pm

uniftw wrote:Yes, Murray State was left out because there wasn't a suitable 12th according to the university presidents. They are also opposed to 11 for some unknown reason. The B1G ran at 11 for decades. The MWC is at 11. A large part of the issue with 11 is the travel partner issue for VB and WBB. Hideous.

Honstestly 11 with a 20 game conference schedule makes sense right now. The B1G adopted a 20 game conference schedule starting in 2018. OOC games in the upper midwest, even buy games are going to become even more difficult.

Why 11 is such an issue is something I can't figure out.

This. The most important thing should be making the conference as strong as possible in men's basketball. Murray State makes this league stronger. There is no other realistic program out there that can say that. Logistics (and I might add.....manageable logistics that other leagues are already dealing with) should not trump men's basketball conference strength. That would be silly. Sometimes you need to think just a little bit outside the box.

A 20-game schedule would be difficult to work, but I really think it does our league a favor. Most schools are playing D2 and NAIA games anyway, and are having difficulty filling their schedule. This alleviates that problem and allows us to bring in a program that would do nothing but help the league.
uniguy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » August 23rd, 2017, 7:20 pm

Yes to 11 and 18. No to 11 and 20.

Do people really think that the two games that we'd lose in the non-con would be the non D-1 games and the cupcake games? No. We'd lose the home-and-homes with mid majors (or at least the precious few that we do have).

Going from 18 to 20 conference games means adding 1 home game and 1 road game. To balance that, we'd have to get rid of 1 road game and 1 home game from our non-cons, or get rid of 2 home games and sacrifice a home gate. If we sacrifice a road game, it's either as part of a home-and-home with another like school, or a buy game against a quality opponent. Giving up either of those is a SoS problem. And I'll let all the armchair ADs out there talk about the importance of having enough home gates in a season to help revenue.

UNI might be the exception to this - for example they have 7 home games in the non-con, so going from 16 home gates to 15 is manageable for them. Illinois St on the other hand has 5 home games in the non-con this year. Could they afford to go from 14 to 13 home gates for a year?
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby mvfcfan » August 23rd, 2017, 10:27 pm

I've been watching some games and doing some more thinking on this and I really think we need to get North Dakota State and South Dakota State in the league. I watched their championship game they played against each other in 2016 and both schools have good programs and have very good fanbases. The game atmosphere in this game was great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbXqyHJTP1Q

Both NDSU and SDSU are the only two teams from the Summit League to make the NCAA tournament since 2011 (SDSU 4 times, NDSU twice). NDSU also has a NCAA tournament win. SDSU had some close calls.

Overall I think these are the best two adds we can get. I like Murray State, but I just think NDSU and SDSU overall are probably better adds for the conference going forward, especially if we have to add 2 teams for scheduling, travel partners, etc. Really adding the XDSU's is long overdue. Yeah there's added travel, but you either want to improve the conference or you don't. They are the best chance we have of getting back to being a two bid league and they are really the only two schools I can see coming in and winning the league year after year. The XDSU's are also in a spot where they would be long term members. They are pretty well in safe enough locations that they would probably never get poached.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » August 24th, 2017, 7:17 am

While I think there are solid reasons why an addition of the Dakota's make sense and have no problem if we go that way; one of the rationales is not that they could help make us a 2 bid league in the NCAA MBB Tourney. Simply, if a team has not been getting at large bids now, joining the Valley isn't gonna all of a sudden get them there. The only school I think that is reasonably[ and they probably aren't either] in our ability to perhaps attract, and has shown an ability to get at large bids is SLU. And as has been discussed here, they probably aren't willing to consider the MVC until or unless the A-10 loses other schools and they are not one of the ones swept into the Big East.

So I guess I'm saying, Dakota's fine; but don't fool yourselves that that is a ticket to multiple bids. There potential to do so is no better or worse than any number of schools, which means it is severely limited. Again I think there will be years the MVC has a chance at multiple bids if a team outside the conference tourney champion has had the ability to via their non-con schedule to schedule and win about 4-5 top 100 games, wins at least 14 games in conference, and doesn't have more than a loss or 2 above the 150 RPI . But that's true of any mid major team. But first scheduling that, and then winning against it given most of those games will be either roadies or neutral court games is going to be rare.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » August 24th, 2017, 8:58 am

uniguy wrote:
uniftw wrote:Yes, Murray State was left out because there wasn't a suitable 12th according to the university presidents. They are also opposed to 11 for some unknown reason. The B1G ran at 11 for decades. The MWC is at 11. A large part of the issue with 11 is the travel partner issue for VB and WBB. Hideous.

Honstestly 11 with a 20 game conference schedule makes sense right now. The B1G adopted a 20 game conference schedule starting in 2018. OOC games in the upper midwest, even buy games are going to become even more difficult.

This. The most important thing should be making the conference as strong as possible in men's basketball. Murray State makes this league stronger. There is no other realistic program out there that can say that. Logistics (and I might add.....manageable logistics that other leagues are already dealing with) should not trump men's basketball conference strength. That would be silly. Sometimes you need to think just a little bit outside the box.

A 20-game schedule would be difficult to work, but I really think it does our league a favor. Most schools are playing D2 and NAIA games anyway, and are having difficulty filling their schedule. This alleviates that problem and allows us to bring in a program that would do nothing but help the league.

You don't announce until the last second - WSU is a rare example of doing it sooner, but even then it happened after basketball season.

By announcing it sooner the conference can/will strip you of the ability to earn an automatic bid into any post season play, meaning you must get an AL in any sport you want to play in the post season on. They will also strip all payouts from NCAA shares.

If we didn't get anything with the STC announcement we won't see anything official until May/June depending on how the baseball/softball teams at the schools joining are doing. It's why Valpo waited until after baseball and softball had been eliminated from their conference tournament before making any comment on it at all. Didn't want the HL to strip any payouts or bids from them. The HL, and everyone, knew Valpo was joining the MVC for about 2 months prior to that but nothing could be done to "punish" them simply because they hadn't acknowledge the MVC even visited them.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » August 24th, 2017, 12:17 pm

uniftw wrote:
uniguy wrote:

You don't announce until the last second - WSU is a rare example of doing it sooner, but even then it happened after basketball season.

By announcing it sooner the conference can/will strip you of the ability to earn an automatic bid into any post season play, meaning you must get an AL in any sport you want to play in the post season on. They will also strip all payouts from NCAA shares.

If we didn't get anything with the STC announcement we won't see anything official until May/June depending on how the baseball/softball teams at the schools joining are doing. It's why Valpo waited until after baseball and softball had been eliminated from their conference tournament before making any comment on it at all. Didn't want the HL to strip any payouts or bids from them. The HL, and everyone, knew Valpo was joining the MVC for about 2 months prior to that but nothing could be done to "punish" them simply because they hadn't acknowledge the MVC even visited them.

They are attempting to "punish" them now

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelze ... 46699d277a
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvfcfan » August 24th, 2017, 2:45 pm

I found this interview with Jack Watkins (an associate commisioner for the MVC) from the 17th of this month. The discussion of going to 12 starts at the 18:30 mark of the interview. It sounds like we are going to go to 12 for sure based on the way he's talking. When we renewed our contracts with Scottrade, etc, we told them that in 2019 we may very well have 12 teams for Arch Madness rather than 10. Link--> http://www.ktrs.com/the-big-sports-show/

So Murray State is a no brainer #11. He even admitted in the interview that 11 would have been a distaster and that it doesn't really work that well, so I think there is a push to get them in. We all know that they are the team that has a 99% chance of getting added at this point. It's #12 that is the mystery question. We all have our favorite #12 options, but this interview definitely renewed my confidence in us going to 12 for the 2018-19 season, especially at the 20:05 mark when he talks about the tournament for 2019. He says that there would be "back to back days of 12, 230, 6, and 830, then 2 games on Saturday, and the title game on Sunday." Then he says in the next sentence (not sure what the first few words were, maybe something about needing oxygen for you guys),"the year that Arch Madness goes to that, I know I will.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby gbphoenix1 » November 7th, 2017, 1:27 pm

I know nobody asked me but I wanted to throw my two cents in. I certainly understand the motivation for MVC fans to want Murray State. They have had a great run that has turned out several NBA players. The impressive thing to me is that they have done this over several different coaches, so it really leads me to believe that they have a program and not a flash in the pan.

With Murray State being the strong #11 candidate that leads to much debate about the #12 candidate. I personally think St. Louis is the best team that the MVC might possibly target. When I think about the financial and fan impact that Creighton and Wichita State brought to their program I don’t see a lot of teams that can have that type of impact. I think Arch Madness with its prime CBS broadcast on a Sunday only really works with a full arena and a strong alpha program. When I look around it feels like SLU has the best chance of any possible/realistic targets to be a financial, fan and tv player for the league.

I also believe SLU is holding out for the Big East so that gets me to the heart of my post. I know Milwaukee, UIC and Omaha have had their tires kicked by the MVC. UMKC has received some fan attention but they are really far away from being competitive in my opinion and also evaluating their own D1 status. The Dakota schools have been discussed by fans. I wanted to make a case for consideration for my Alma Mater, Green Bay. While it can’t move the needle like SLU can, it compares very favorably to almost any other candidate.

Let me start with the negatives as I am aware that it isn’t all roses in Green Bay. Some of the Olympic sports aren’t good and they sponsor Nordic Skiing which really isn’t a fit for anyone’s profile. The overall budget for athletics isn’t huge but they are competitive financially in hoops but would need an additional bump up. The university has a growing enrollment and endowment but was founded in 1965 so it isn’t a huge school with tons of students and programs. On the financial side the university isn’t loaded. I would submit that the best days are ahead for GB as they are adding programs to turn out really productive undergraduates who over time will make more and donate more. Also, the university is public which I know some won’t like and it doesn’t have a huge graduate program to bolster the academic profile. It isn’t going to be called the Harvard of the Midwest anytime soon.

With the above as a background there is still a strong case for GB. One is branding. Even though the name of the school is the University of Wisconsin Green Bay, the branded name for athletics is Green Bay. Thanks to the Packers pretty much all sports fans know what Green Bay is.

Another is the facilities. The men’s hoops team plays in a 9000 seat arena built in the early 2000’s that has aged very nicely. It is the second nicest in the Horizon League in my opinion. The women play on campus in a university owned arena that is 10 years old and seats 4000 people. This building also has a specific men’s basketball practice gym as well as all of the other amenities you would expect. Right now the university is building a $4,000,000 soccer stadium and updating the softball stadium in the same project. The overall facility package for GB is strong, as strong as any regional mid major.

Let’s be honest though men’s hoops are driving this expansion discussion. Valpo was looked at as a no brainer by most, especially on the outside. In the ten years that Valpo was in the league the teams were 10-10 against each other in the regular season. Valpo did have a 3-1 edge in the post season. Also, GB was 10-2 against Loyola in their last six years in the Horizon. GB is 3-1 against Northern Kentucky. GB has competed well against teams that have been added or discussed.

For additional reference against Butler they were 2-8 in their last 5 years. Against the MVC over the last ten years GB is 3-6. Against high majors over the last ten years they are 4-20 with wins over Wisconsin, Marquette, Virginia and Miami.

The men’s hoops team has finished 4th, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 6th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 4th and 3rd in the last ten years of the Horizon League. The 7th and 6th were the first two Wardle years and the most recent 4th was the first Linc Darner year that they did end up going to the NCAA tournament. This is a program that can compete pretty quickly at the MVC level in my opinion.

Fan support has ranged from a low of 2948 to a high of 4086 average attendance during the last ten years. Green Bay does better at the gate as the season moves along, especially when the Packers wrap up and the big conference games start. I think the fan base is strong and they do draw over 5k or 6k for the better conference games. A full slate of better games will only help.

Green Bay men’s hoops have stayed relevant by mostly growing within. They do take in D1 transfers but most of those are regional guys returning home. They do take in JUCO guys to compliment the roster but the core has always been high school recruits. Green Bay has 5 freshmen this year so I would think the trend of sustained competiveness will continue over the next few years.

As an added bonus the women’s hoops team is very good and competitive in the NCAA tournament. They have made the big dance in 15 of the last 20 years and won a game in 5 of those years. Women’s volleyball is competitive now and men’s soccer just won a share of the Horizon League championship.

I know MVC fans want a program that can move the needle of the league and frankly that might be hard to find if SLU doesn’t join. For those fans who will accept a 12th program that can be competitive and build on the MVC brand then Green Bay should be on their radar. In my opinion it is a much stronger addition than most of the schools that have been talked about and I wanted to take a few minutes to share Green Bay’s profile for MVC fan consideration. Thanks for reading and happy hoops season.
gbphoenix1
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » November 7th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Green Bay is a better option than Omaha, UIC, Oral Roberts, UMKC, SEMO, etc. But, I maintain if that's what is out there then wait until someone steps forward. With conferences going to 20 games the MVC might as well follow suit. 11 is perfect for 20 games. I wish they would just add MuSt. and be done with it.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RacerJoeD » November 8th, 2017, 9:12 pm

^what he said
RacerJoeD
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball