MVC ranking

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC ranking

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 25th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Valpo's number is about to rise significantly. Our next five games are against Utah State Purdue Ball State Northwestern and Santa Clara with the latter four games on the road. And remember Loyola got screwed over by NC State and lost a home date with them which they likely replaced with a vastly inferior opponent
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » November 25th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Losing NC State hurt. We got @Boise and @Florida coming up which is good; UIC is solid as well, and we’re at Milwaukee which is a weird team having beat Iowa state but lost to some D2 team... but replacing NC State with Norfolk sucks.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 25th, 2017, 10:42 pm

Also Indiana State isn't winning Southern Illinois just dropped another game to fall to .500 and Illinois State is also at .500 so it's not all roses for the folks at the top of this list either. I think for now we should focus not on who should be embarrassed and for what and more on the fact that outside of one bad night and another mediocre night we're doing very well as a conference. Let's focus less on SoS numbers which are way out of whack right now anyway and more on beating the teams on our schedules whoever they may be. The numbers will take care of themselves but if we don't win then none of it matters anyway. The time to whine about scheduling is anytime when games are not being played once the season starts it's winning time. We're at a big moment as a conference as we have now reached the MVC-MWC challenge. This is where our focus needs to be right now. As long as we keep winning the numbers and the metrics will take care of themselves. And no this is not a call to schedule fluff for the sake of wins we still need to consistently challenge ourselves as many in the MVC already have and will continue to do it's a call to focus on what really matters because that will lead us to achieving our goals as a conference.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » November 25th, 2017, 11:43 pm

Valpo's sked will be fine. They backloaded.

Frankly it's early even for SoS numbers, but there's certainly a cost associated with our overall record so far.

The important thing is maintaining our gap on the Mountain West and A-10, who are the primary competition this year. I don't think we can hold off the MWC; we might have a chance at the A-10 given their poor start. I think we're going to hold off the WCC. And everyone else below them are in different states of disrepair.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby freddycat68 » November 26th, 2017, 12:03 pm

uniftw wrote:We gonna drop hard when we drop. I’m looking at SoS numbers and there are a couple bombs in our conference

Southern Illinois 8
UNI 48
Indiana State 67
Illinois State 103
Drake 113
Bradley 255
Missouri State 286
Loyola 310
Evansville 309
Valpo 319

SIU isn’t well connected and they’ll come back down but still. Bradley and below should be at least partially embarrassed.

BU is 6-1 with a current sos of 24 and an RPI of 20. I KNOW I KNOW IT'S TOO EARLY FOR RPI TALK -- but I think most BU fans will pass on your invitation to be "embarrassed."
freddycat68
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby VUGrad1314 » November 26th, 2017, 1:01 pm

5 schools top 100 7 schools top 120 8 schools top 130. This I like to see! Keep it rolling MVC!
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sivert » November 26th, 2017, 11:41 pm

I’m thinking we end up about 0.525, for 7th or 8th. Should two teams do well, that would be enough for an at large. Hoping I’m right...
Go Panthers!!
sivert
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby chitown fanatic » November 27th, 2017, 8:58 am

And Bradley playing team defense like I haven't seen in almost 25 years. The MVC is in for a rude awakening in Peoria this year if this keeps up. Just have to shoot better- both from the field and the line. Next Sunday will either show me we're for real or still have a ways to go.
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby sivert » November 28th, 2017, 11:38 am

The next two days of the B1G ACC challenge should give the B1G a boost, especially if they win a few.

Monday, Nov. 27
ACC Syracuse 72, Maryland 70
ACC Virginia 49, Wisconsin 37

Tuesday, Nov. 28

Northwestern at Georgia Tech, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
Florida State at Rutgers, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
Louisville at Purdue, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
Iowa at Virginia Tech, 9 p.m. (ESPN2)
Illinois at Wake Forest, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)

Wednesday, Nov. 29
Clemson at Ohio State, 7:15 p.m. (ESPN2)
Penn State at North Carolina State, 7:15 p.m. (ESPNU)
Michigan at North Carolina, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN)
Miami at Minnesota, 9:15 p.m. (ESPN2)
Boston College at Nebraska, 9:15 p.m. (ESPNU)
Duke at Indiana, 9:30 p.m. (ESPN)

Thursday, Nov. 30
Notre Dame at Michigan State, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
Go Panthers!!
sivert
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby AndShock » November 28th, 2017, 1:08 pm

We are approaching the realistic possibility that the Valley will finish ahead of the American this year. The American seems to be getting worse with each passing week and the Valley is holding strong. This might have meant something 10 years ago but now the committee only cares about top 25 or top 50 wins (I can't even remember at this point). I think being in a conference w/ Cincy this year might be more valuable than being in a conference with 9 schools ranked 50-100.

For the record I think that is extremely flawed and a shame the Selection Committee decided to go down that path, but that's the way it has seemed to be recently.
Last edited by AndShock on November 28th, 2017, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball