2018 MVC - Opening Week

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Opening Week

Postby COUTEAU » January 1st, 2018, 10:24 am

Majik45 wrote:Interesting results today.

Is Drake actually good?

Is UNI a fraud?

Is Missouri state living up to their pre season expectations?

All I can say is that this year is going to be very interesting. If you don't bring your A game every night, you may get beat. Doesn't matter home or away

As well as VALLEY schools, played in the pre-MVC part of the season.
And....as much as each team, is going to beat up on each other, during VALLEY play....followed up by the same in St Louis...
Whoever represents The Missouri Valley Conference in the tournament will, be a tough out and should be battle tested enough to make a dent come March.
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » January 1st, 2018, 10:54 am

COUTEAU wrote:

Is Drake actually good?

Is UNI a fraud?

All I can say is that this year is going to be very interesting. If you don't bring your A game every night, you may get beat. Doesn't matter home or away

And....as much as each team, is going to beat up on each other, during VALLEY play....followed up by the same in St Louis...
Whoever represents The Missouri Valley Conference in the tournament will, be a tough out and should be battle tested enough to make a dent come March.

I'm not trying to be the grammar police...but seriously? You have four comma's in your post and none of them are even required.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 1st, 2018, 11:20 am

UNI fans--is Klint Carlson as frustrating to you as he seems to be to me?

He has immense physical gifts but seems to love roaming around the perimeter thinking hes Magic Johnson. He doesnt use his phyisicality at all and he disappears way more than he should.

Am I wrong?

Also---Juwan McCloud hasn't been what you guys had hoped right? I admit--I thought he would be a stud in this league.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » January 1st, 2018, 12:58 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:

Is Drake actually good?

Is UNI a fraud?

I'm not trying to be the grammar police...but seriously? You have four comma's in your post and none of them are even required.

He has also predicted that the Aces would lose only one game in the last three years.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » January 1st, 2018, 3:39 pm

bleach wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Birds move to 2-0 despite missing our leading scorer.

Yarbrough has to be early favorite for MVC Player of the Year

Uh, maybe, I guess. I can see him being ONE of the EARLY favorites but, Alize seemed to barely impact the game today and had 10pts 12 reb 4 asst. and was doubled anytime he touched the ball inside the arc.
I've seen Yarbrough play and he's good but I don't think he's getting the attention Alize is.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Valley player as consistently double and triple teamed like Alize has been this year. It's literally almost every time he touches the ball in half court situations. It opens things up for other Bears players but does hurt his scoring opportunities.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » January 2nd, 2018, 12:55 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:UNI fans--is Klint Carlson as frustrating to you as he seems to be to me?

He has immense physical gifts but seems to love roaming around the perimeter thinking hes Magic Johnson. He doesnt use his phyisicality at all and he disappears way more than he should.

Am I wrong?

Also---Juwan McCloud hasn't been what you guys had hoped right? I admit--I thought he would be a stud in this league.

Yes. Klint has had stretches where he is the best player on the floor (NCAA Tournament two years ago, Oklahoma last year) and then stretches where he is either absent or a liability. In the end, there is a reason he was a 4 for 5. If he had the mentality to be a dominant player, he wouldn't be in The Valley. Combine him with not always engaged Bennett Koch and you've got two guys who should be the best frontcourt in the Valley but can't consistently put it together.

Juwan, I've been enocuraged by his growth this year. He's shot the ball much, much better. He's become a very good defender. He falls in love with the dribble and becomes a black hole at times. I've not given up yet but you aren't incorrect in that he's been a bit of a disappointment.

The other one that is really discouraging to most of us at UNI is Luke McDonnell. He was really well thought of coming out of Dubuque, Evan Flood called him the steal of the class and that he'd have a chance to be an All Big Ten Forward at Wisconsin and he can't even get on the floor...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » January 3rd, 2018, 9:23 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:LOL! Bradley loses to Drake.

This comment did not age well.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BradleyFan71 » January 3rd, 2018, 9:29 pm

ptownbraves wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:LOL! Bradley loses to Drake.

This comment did not age well.

Right....if only our non-conference schedule had prepared us for that game!
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby VUGrad1314 » January 3rd, 2018, 9:35 pm

The Redbirds have to be the strangest team in this conference. So confusing. It's just impossible to tell how they'll play who they'll beat or who they'll get beat by on any given night.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bufan741777 » January 3rd, 2018, 9:49 pm

VUGrad1314 wrote:The Redbirds have to be the strangest team in this conference. So confusing. It's just impossible to tell how they'll play who they'll beat or who they'll get beat by on any given night.

Agreed, they seem to play on and off depending on what day it is. They also play a lot of close games no matter if the opponent is good or bad.

Since they beat Ole Miss by 4 in OT they have...

1 point win vs UIC
6 point win at EU
3 point win in OT vs ISUb
25 point loss at DU
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball