2018 MVC - Week 3

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 3

Postby freddycat68 » January 10th, 2018, 7:57 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
freddycat68 wrote:Without doing a lick of research, I am rather confident both ISUr and UNI had a tougher non-conference schedule than what they both face in the Valley slate

I'm sure the UNI fans are thankful that tough schedule prepared them for the conference season.

I was going to make this point, but you beat me to it. Pretty silly to say UNI's OOC (against which they had an 8-4 record) was tougher than the MVC (0-4). But what do actual results have to do with anything?[/quote]

Your line of reasoning is asinine.

So if we played Duke and beat them in nonconference when we played the game of our lives, while they played the worst game....but then a month later lose to Drake, that means our MVC conference slate is harder?
Give me a break.

Team performance can and does impact results. Clearly UNI was playing well in November and half of December, but now suck. Doesnt mean their schedule is harder in MVC.

EDIT: Real example...UNI beats SMU in early November when they were playing well, but then lose to Bradley as they are playing like crap. Is Bradley then better than SMU?

Mind you SMU is #34 in KenPom and Bradley #120[/quote]

Well that's really convenient. Why don't you just apply for Jay Bilas' job as P5 Apologist-in-chief. If an MVC team does well in the OOC and then struggles in the MVC, that's because that team USED TO BE GOOD BUT NOW SUCKS. But if a P5 team does well in the OOC and then struggles in conference, that team STILL IS GOOD BUT IS JUST STRUGGLING AGAINST INTENSE COMPETITION.

Whose reasoning is asinine, again?
freddycat68
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bufan741777 » January 10th, 2018, 8:02 pm

ISUb makes a put back layup in with 1 second to go to beat UNI. UNI is now 0-5. UNI fans, is this still just something that you historically do?
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 10th, 2018, 8:28 pm

freddycat68 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
freddycat68 wrote:Without doing a lick of research, I am rather confident both ISUr and UNI had a tougher non-conference schedule than what they both face in the Valley slate

I'm sure the UNI fans are thankful that tough schedule prepared them for the conference season.

I was going to make this point, but you beat me to it. Pretty silly to say UNI's OOC (against which they had an 8-4 record) was tougher than the MVC (0-4). But what do actual results have to do with anything?

Your line of reasoning is asinine.

So if we played Duke and beat them in nonconference when we played the game of our lives, while they played the worst game....but then a month later lose to Drake, that means our MVC conference slate is harder?
Give me a break.

Team performance can and does impact results. Clearly UNI was playing well in November and half of December, but now suck. Doesnt mean their schedule is harder in MVC.

EDIT: Real example...UNI beats SMU in early November when they were playing well, but then lose to Bradley as they are playing like crap. Is Bradley then better than SMU?

Mind you SMU is #34 in KenPom and Bradley #120[/quote]

Well that's really convenient. Why don't you just apply for Jay Bilas' job as P5 Apologist-in-chief. If an MVC team does well in the OOC and then struggles in the MVC, that's because that team USED TO BE GOOD BUT NOW SUCKS. But if a P5 team does well in the OOC and then struggles in conference, that team STILL IS GOOD BUT IS JUST STRUGGLING AGAINST INTENSE COMPETITION.

Whose reasoning is asinine, again?[/quote]

Stats don't lie dude. And I never said a thing about this, youre just implying the other way around.
Generally speaking KenPom rankings are pretty accurate, but whatever. Use caps and get angry.
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on January 10th, 2018, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bufan741777 » January 10th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Valpo played a great game. They lead Drake in most stats and takes an easy win to give DU their first loss.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bufan741777 » January 10th, 2018, 9:00 pm

ISUr could not figure out a way to claw back at Loyola ever since they took the lead. Loyola looked quite good throughout this game and ISU looked like there offense was struggling significantly more than they did in their last game. ISUr's crowd seemed to grumble more than they cheered tonight as Loyola's defense was all over the birds all game long.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 10th, 2018, 9:03 pm

2 games separate 1st from 9th. 2 games separate 9th from 10th.

4-1 Drake
3-2 Bradley/Loyola/Missouri St/Illinois St/Indiana St
2-3 Valparaiso/Evansville/S Illinois

0-5 Northern Iowa
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » January 10th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Aces beat Mo. St. by nine. It's amazing how poorly other teams shoot when they play the Aces.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ptownbraves » January 10th, 2018, 9:05 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:I'm sure the UNI fans are thankful that tough schedule prepared them for the conference season.

I've seen this line of reasoning posted a few times on this board about non-conference schedules prepping you for the conference. The simple truth is, conference performance doesn't mean much when you have to win at least three more games in St. Louis to advance. UNI should be applauded for their non-con schedule. Let's not dog schools like UNI for having the guts to schedule the way they did. This is small-time, one-bid league thinking. If you're an MVC team with tournament aspirations, your non-conference goal should be to play as many decent mid-majors/power schools as reasonably possible in the hopes that you snag a couple signature wins. If most MVC schools had this mindset, our non-con wins would go down, but we'd be much better positioned when March rolls around to have more than one bid.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BradleyFan71 » January 10th, 2018, 9:09 pm

ptownbraves wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:I'm sure the UNI fans are thankful that tough schedule prepared them for the conference season.

I've seen this line of reasoning posted a few times on this board about non-conference schedules prepping you for the conference. The simple truth is, conference performance doesn't mean much when you have to win at least three more games in St. Louis to advance. UNI should be applauded for their non-con schedule. Let's not dog schools like UNI for having the guts to schedule the way they did. This is small-time, one-bid league thinking. If you're an MVC team with tournament aspirations, your non-conference goal should be to play as many decent mid-majors/power schools as reasonably possible in the hopes that you snag a couple signature wins. If most MVC schools had this mindset, our non-con wins would go down, but we'd be much better positioned when March rolls around to have more than one bid.

I'm most definitely not dogging them for a tough schedule I'm simply stating non-conference schedule has nothing to do with conference games.
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bufan741777 » January 10th, 2018, 9:10 pm

ptownbraves wrote:

None of that matters if your team doesn't show up for conference play.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball