If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: If Wichita Left.... (RPI Talk)

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 10th, 2018, 3:55 pm

bufan741777 wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:I thought you Shocker fans didn't like using RPI. What gives?

:huh:

Only when talking about why leaving the Valley was so great :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers:

When used against them they act like it never existed lol

Wichita fans regularly double talk, and then wonder why we think they're insane.

They're fun to mock though.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » January 10th, 2018, 9:46 pm

You guys know Shockerfan13 used KenPom and not RPI, right?
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rambler63 » January 10th, 2018, 10:11 pm

bleach wrote:
mvcfan wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:I thought you Shocker fans didn't like using RPI. What gives?

:huh:

I don’t think it’s the best metric but as we found out last year, the NCAA Tournament Selection likes it, so we received a 10 Seed when most experts said we were between 6-8. The RPI forecast may be off too. Hopefully the NCAA becomes more enlightened and uses more metrics when comparing teams.

WSU recieved a 10 seed because that is what the committee wanted to give them. Until there is a hard fast formula to rank all teams, there will be injustices. As is, they use whatever metrics they want to use to include who they want.

I think this is right. When you think about it, they created the RPI through reverse engineering to
legitimize their feelings.

When it doesn't work for the purpose they intended, they ignore it.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 10th, 2018, 10:15 pm

Lots of RPI conspiracy theories. Come on guys.

They invented the RPI at a time when nothing remotely similar existed, and simply kept using it because the big boys kept performing well in it. There's no grand scheme against mid-majors, just a quiet subtle one :twisted:
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby LanceShock » January 11th, 2018, 8:31 am

Funny thing is that this season shows why WSU left. Had WSU stayed in the Valley, they would have ONE tier one game in conference play, at Missouri State, despite the overall improvement in the Valley. In the American, they should have one tier one home game and four tier one road games (it could end up being five). There is even a good chance that a tournament semifinal game for them could be tier one as well.

Unfortunately, when the committee looks at teams for the NCAA tournament, those are the games they will be looking at. WSU can lose most of their tier 1 games in the American and still have more tier 1 wins in conference play than they could have had in the Valley even if they won all of the Valley games.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 11th, 2018, 9:26 am

The only reason I brought up this thread again was to showcase how crazy it was for Wichita fans to think the sky would completely be falling, further than it had been, via conference RPI (the original subject to this thread even says RPI talk) with them leaving the conference. You Shocker fans keep moving the needle on the focus of the conversation, always in your favor. In this case, "who cares if your RPI for the conference improved, nobody cares about RPI and the MVC doesn't have any at-large caliber teams this year anyway."

ShockerFever among others were convinced this conference would fall into the abyss in RPI (16th was a projection they kept saying). Clearly not the case. The overall conference has improved, however there are no Illinois State or Wichita State teams who are NCAA tourney type teams this year for contention like last year.

I don't think anyone is arguing that leaving the conference was never a benefit for WSU Men's Basketball. It was a big advantage for WSU, especially this year. The only caveat being, your bottom is much worse than our bottom right now. But, the top is much, much better in the AAC than the MVC right now.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » January 11th, 2018, 10:00 am

In a lot of ways, it depends on what is important to you. This year, almost all Valley games should be competitive and should make for a very exciting race. You are right that many Shocker fans could not see beyond the program they follow to grasp that a more exciting Valley race would be of value to fans of other programs. Not that you aren't interested in at large bids, but that other things are important as well.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Snaggletooth » January 11th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Idk, if u you think there was more excitement in the MVC then I think you would see a boost in attendance. But you don't see that all. Overall the MVC average attendance compared to last year is down -12%. Only team with an increase is Lusk's Missouri State (better get a contract extension quick). You would think Valpo fans would be excited - but their attendance is down 14%. It not a pretty picture.

SIU -20%
MOSt +5%
UNI -10%
Valpo -14
Evansville -11%
DU -8%
BU -9%
ISUB -19%
ISUR -22%
LUC -1%
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » January 11th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Is this attendance YTD? Lots of MVC schools have poor attendance figures early in the season when the opponents are no-name type teams. I suspect MVC conference game attendance improves almost across the board at each school.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » January 11th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Red wrote:Is this attendance YTD? Lots of MVC schools have poor attendance figures early in the season when the opponents are no-name type teams. I suspect MVC conference game attendance improves almost across the board at each school.

Depends on the school - some have posted lower average attendance for MVC games than their OOC slates so far.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball