Newcomer Report

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Newcomer Report

Postby glm38 » December 6th, 2017, 11:35 am

Yeah, let's not get too carried away! I don't remember what Tuttle was like as a freshman, but it does seem like a good comp as long as Krutwig continues to develop. Especially if he can become a better jumper. He moves pretty well, but he needs some lift.[/quote]

Tuttle wasn't much of a leaper either. But he could really play. Loved watching him in the post.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » December 7th, 2017, 4:12 pm

glm38 wrote:Yeah, let's not get too carried away! I don't remember what Tuttle was like as a freshman, but it does seem like a good comp as long as Krutwig continues to develop. Especially if he can become a better jumper. He moves pretty well, but he needs some lift.

Tuttle wasn't much of a leaper either. But he could really play. Loved watching him in the post.[/quote]
As a true freshman Tuttle started 34 of 34 games

22 MPG
10 points
6 rebounds
1 assist
67% from 2
45% from 3
68% from FT

It was clear he was going to be REALLY good as a freshman to those who got a chance to watch him more than just "Oh, my team is playing UNI tonight". Did we think he'd become an All American? No. He developed into just a different level of player. He was never the most athletic, but he had "it". Motor, understanding of the game, understanding of opponent weakness, etc...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » December 7th, 2017, 4:43 pm

uniftw wrote:
glm38 wrote:Yeah, let's not get too carried away! I don't remember what Tuttle was like as a freshman, but it does seem like a good comp as long as Krutwig continues to develop. Especially if he can become a better jumper. He moves pretty well, but he needs some lift.

Tuttle wasn't much of a leaper either. But he could really play. Loved watching him in the post.

As a true freshman Tuttle started 34 of 34 games

22 MPG
10 points
6 rebounds
1 assist
67% from 2
45% from 3
68% from FT

It was clear he was going to be REALLY good as a freshman to those who got a chance to watch him more than just "Oh, my team is playing UNI tonight". Did we think he'd become an All American? No. He developed into just a different level of player. He was never the most athletic, but he had "it". Motor, understanding of the game, understanding of opponent weakness, etc...[/quote]

Obviously early but just for fun, Krutwigs at:

8 points
6 rebounds
2.5 assists
55 fg% (doesn't take 3's)
78 ft% (25-32)

Had a huge game against Florida; 38 minutes, 14 points, 8 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, and a block. Again, by no means saying he's Tuttle. But a lot of similar qualities; quote of the night from the broadcast was the announcers saying he looks like an SEC player out there. Just has the right mentality; the "it" factor is there. Hope he can keep it going; he'll have ups and downs for sure still. Look forward to hearing what UNI fans think having had so quality bigs over the years
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » December 7th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Regardless of whether he's the 2nd coming of King Tut, the year that this league has been having so far has been wonderful. But sustained success is what matters and that rests on the shoulders of the youth in this league. More importantly KEEPING the current youth in this league.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » January 11th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Would love to hear updates on how the freshmen have come along for other teams, I feel like I haven't heard many names outside Pickford from UNI, Bruninga from ISU, and Elijah Childs from BU.

Cam Krutwig- Rebounding stats have been a bit down in Valley play, but his defense is actually up, with 2 blocks and at least one steal in 3 valley games. Scoring often comes in bunches. Great passing and footwork remains intact. Struggles some against athletic bigs given he's not the fastest; he lost 30 pounds in the offseason so I expect that to improve somewhat next year as he builds more muscle and trains. Super high motor for a player of any position, but especially a big, and extremely vocal for a freshman. Very high on him.

Lucas Williamson- His numbers don't always blow you away but his impact on the court is huge. A couple folks have recently pointed to Jeremy Morgan as a comparison for the guard; he's got a long build like Morgan but may be a little more athletic. I was excited when we landed him as he was a four year player and two time state champ at Whitney Young but I didn't expect him to be consistently playing in crunch time as a freshmen. He has the chance to be an elite defender; he had huge blocks late in games against UNI and ISU and has also made several clutch threes. He's been the teams biggest surprise by far.

Christian Negron- Incomplete. Didn't even start contact practice until a couple weeks into the season before spraining his ankle late in non conference so he hasn't seen a ton of time. From what we have seen he's an athletic glass eater with potential to be a shot blocker in the paint. Offensive game is still really raw, but has the right attitude to improve over time. I thought he played some solid defense when forced into time against UNI. Definitely has the farthest to go of the freshmen, and I wouldn't expect for opponents to see much of him until next season (where I think he's got a real shot to make strides).

Any Redbird fans got the scoop on Clarence? I remember hearing he was a game changer but didn't see him a ton last night. I know he was hurt so he's had a late start, I assume that's part of it?
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 12th, 2018, 8:31 am

Blers wrote:Would love to hear updates on how the freshmen have come along for other teams, I feel like I haven't heard many names outside Pickford from UNI, Bruninga from ISU, and Elijah Childs from BU.

Cam Krutwig- Rebounding stats have been a bit down in Valley play, but his defense is actually up, with 2 blocks and at least one steal in 3 valley games. Scoring often comes in bunches. Great passing and footwork remains intact. Struggles some against athletic bigs given he's not the fastest; he lost 30 pounds in the offseason so I expect that to improve somewhat next year as he builds more muscle and trains. Super high motor for a player of any position, but especially a big, and extremely vocal for a freshman. Very high on him.

Lucas Williamson- His numbers don't always blow you away but his impact on the court is huge. A couple folks have recently pointed to Jeremy Morgan as a comparison for the guard; he's got a long build like Morgan but may be a little more athletic. I was excited when we landed him as he was a four year player and two time state champ at Whitney Young but I didn't expect him to be consistently playing in crunch time as a freshmen. He has the chance to be an elite defender; he had huge blocks late in games against UNI and ISU and has also made several clutch threes. He's been the teams biggest surprise by far.

Christian Negron- Incomplete. Didn't even start contact practice until a couple weeks into the season before spraining his ankle late in non conference so he hasn't seen a ton of time. From what we have seen he's an athletic glass eater with potential to be a shot blocker in the paint. Offensive game is still really raw, but has the right attitude to improve over time. I thought he played some solid defense when forced into time against UNI. Definitely has the farthest to go of the freshmen, and I wouldn't expect for opponents to see much of him until next season (where I think he's got a real shot to make strides).

Any Redbird fans got the scoop on Clarence? I remember hearing he was a game changer but didn't see him a ton last night. I know he was hurt so he's had a late start, I assume that's part of it?

Clarance being a point guard and missing the entire preseason and all of non-conference has been VERY slow to develop and gain confidence. At this point, I would rate him as an incomplete, others might rate him as a huge disappointment. Given the position and missing very important practice/game experience early on, my leash for him is much longer than it might otherwise be.

We desperately need him and William Tinsley (JuCo transfer) to pick it up for us to have a shot at winning Arch Madness. Matt Hein, albeit GREATLY improved has major limitations that will prevent us from really ever having a chance. You saw Matt feature heavily in your road win against us on Wednesday night. A defensive liability for sure.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » January 12th, 2018, 9:42 am

Childs doesn't start and logs fewer minutes than Bar (although that is probably in the process of changing) but is more productive, averaging 8.1 points at 5.9 rebounds in 18.4 minutes. 3rd in the league on blocked shots, with the 2nd highest block rate in the league.

Stipanovich is slowly adjusting to the speed of DI. He was turnover prone earlier in the year and has improved, but still struggling with that to an extent. Seems to have the sets down, but not yet able to really create his own shot or react to openings quickly enough. But things will slow down for him at some point during league play.

Lundy was almost invisible before the Finals layoff, but then began playing more at the end of non-conference in situations where guards needed rest deep in halves. But then hasn't really seen much floor time in league, except had an effective 4 minutes against Drake in the league-opening loss, and logged 18 minutes out of desparation against Evansville. Generally considered a recruiting miss, but he's not a liability and doesn't turn the ball over.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby sixth ace » January 12th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Dainius Chatkevicius Is making his mark under the basket. started 9 of 18, average 18 minutes, shoots @573%, 5.4 boards apg, 5.7pts apg, 19 blocks

:Cheers:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 17th, 2018, 11:30 am

At this point, to my eyes Pickford, Krutwig, Childs and Tyreke Key are locks for the All Freshman team, with TP and CK battling it out for FOY. I would guess right now that Lucas Williamson, Clayton Hughes and Taylor Bruninga are fighting it out for that 5th spot, but who knows what Austin Phyfe will do the rest of the year.

As far as NOY goes, it would be hard to see anyone taking that away from Yarbrough.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball