2018 MVC - Week 3

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 3

Postby pafan » January 11th, 2018, 1:38 pm

BCPanther wrote:Won't happen. He'll go to more ball screen action and more sets. He needs to spend some time talking offense with his buddy Greg.

Maybe he could spend some time talking offense with his buddy Marty instead if you want more ball screens
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hrtnfldhse » January 11th, 2018, 4:43 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Bear4Life wrote:
I wouldn't just dismiss this as UNI "slumping". I am starting to think they just don't have enough this year.

I could have told you that in preseason. Everyone fell in love with the coach, not the players.

Speaking of falling in love with players before the season...Elijah Clarence?

Dude hasn't made a shot in 46 MVC minutes. 0-12 from the floor. Six assists and nine turnovers.

Honestly didn't mean to troll with this. I was shocked he has been this bad. Is he still injured?

He played last night but doesn't get many minutes. Maybe had 2-3 at the most. He looks timid. Loyola brought the defense last night, they were in your face all 40 minutes. Impressed.
Hrtnfldhse
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby 2livewu » January 11th, 2018, 5:45 pm

BCPanther wrote:We were much, much better offensively last night. I think Koch and Carlson playing fewer minutes than usual really helped that as there was a lot better flow to the offense.

I doubt the "much much better" offense lasts long. Those guys will get scouted and teams will adjust. And they aren't nearly as good defensively as Carlson et al. That being said, and all things being equal, I'd much rather lose 69-67 than 52-50 so I can see your enthusiasm.

BCPanther wrote: Opponent that, on paper, we should beat handily.......

Really? Your team is donut and 5. Why would you or anyone think there's another Valley team UNI should "beat handily" right now?

BCPanther wrote:A win with Drake coming to Cedar Falls mid-week gives us a glimmer of hope that we can get back into the race like we did last year and the year before.

UNI finished 8 games out of 1st last year. 5 games out the year before. Exactly what race did you "get back into"'?
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bufan741777 » January 11th, 2018, 5:57 pm

BCPanther wrote: Opponent that, on paper, we should beat handily.......

Really? Your team is donut and 5. Why would you or anyone think there's another Valley team UNI should "beat handily" right now?

BCPanther wrote:A win with Drake coming to Cedar Falls mid-week gives us a glimmer of hope that we can get back into the race like we did last year and the year before.

UNI finished 8 games out of 1st last year. 5 games out the year before. Exactly what race did you "get back into"'?[/quote]

#1. I agree, UNI should be the last team thinking that they are going to beat anyone handily. You could make the argument that even the top teams shouldn't be thinking that way this year.

#2. With the bad starts UNI usually has their fans seem to think that getting out of Thursday is successful. They are and by no means will be in the race to even crack the top three. I think that they will struggle to break out of the 7-9 range by the end of the season though for some odd reason I don't think they will end up dead last even though that's what my eyes tell me when I watch them play.
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 11th, 2018, 11:33 pm

bufan741777 wrote:#1. I agree, UNI should be the last team thinking that they are going to beat anyone handily. You could make the argument that even the top teams shouldn't be thinking that way this year.

#2. With the bad starts UNI usually has their fans seem to think that getting out of Thursday is successful. They are and by no means will be in the race to even crack the top three. I think that they will struggle to break out of the 7-9 range by the end of the season though for some odd reason I don't think they will end up dead last even though that's what my eyes tell me when I watch them play.

One poster on the UNI board begs to differ: they’re “much better than any other in the valley” and after making adjustments should “dispose of the rest of the valley like the trash heap they are”.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bufan741777 » January 12th, 2018, 12:32 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:
bufan741777 wrote:#1. I agree, UNI should be the last team thinking that they are going to beat anyone handily. You could make the argument that even the top teams shouldn't be thinking that way this year.

One poster on the UNI board begs to differ: they’re “much better than any other in the valley” and after making adjustments should “dispose of the rest of the valley like the trash heap they are”.

What a joke! I want to know what adjustments must be made to go from 0-5 to running away with the Valley. A new team?
bufan741777
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Stickboy46 » January 12th, 2018, 8:47 am

bufan741777 wrote:

What a joke! I want to know what adjustments must be made to go from 0-5 to running away with the Valley. A new team?

Gotta talk Lebron into changing his name to "Klint Carlson" and suiting up as #2 for UNI.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheDrake » January 12th, 2018, 9:43 am

Are you serious? Someone actually said that?
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redbirds4Life » January 12th, 2018, 3:18 pm

TheDrake wrote:

Are you serious? Someone actually said that?

If someone did say that, which I do no doubt, they are just stupid and wearing the fan goggles. But honestly, as bad as UNI has looked, I wouldn't be shocked if a month or so from now we look and they have turned it around and are like 9-6....wouldn't stun me one bit. I still think that team has talent and Jacobson has shown he can coach.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby 2livewu » January 12th, 2018, 3:41 pm

It appears there is just too much balance in this league for anyone to go on a 9-1 run, much less the team that's 0-5 so far and hasn't yet played Drake, Illinois State or Loyola, all of whom, in my opinion at least, have better material and if healthy, better depth than UNI.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball