MVC coaches and the coaching carousel

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Lusuperfan1 » January 20th, 2018, 12:20 pm

I know it's a little early to talk about it, considering there's still a good 2 months of basketball to be played before it really starts spinning. However, I'm watching the beatdown Purdue is putting on Iowa right now, and I can't help but wonder if the Valley gets raided this year. The Valley is probably one of the first places a school like Iowa would look to for a new coach (unless they go the Tom Crean-retread route).

Would Jake have interest in Iowa? Muller might not be a bad Plan B for them either. If Moser/Lusk get to the NCAA tournament, would they be appealing to Power 6 or American schools? Would Medved get a look from Minnesota after only one season at Drake? Just curious about everyone's thoughts
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MVC coaches and the coaching carousel

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » January 20th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Moser and Lusk are no's. Jacobson won't leave UNI. Muller is having a down year and has everyone coming back next season unless someone transfers so he's not likely to leave. Medved is the hot candidate from the MVC this year. I could see him getting a top conference job. People will take notice when you take over and immedately turn a 7 win team who has mostly the players into a 17/18 win team.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 20th, 2018, 1:36 pm

I would believe anything anymore. I wonder if Marshall would consider a Big-10 job now.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » January 20th, 2018, 1:39 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:I would believe anything anymore. I wonder if Marshall would consider a Big-10 job now.

Even with immediate transfers I think teams like Gonzaga, Wichita State, and Cincinnati are safe.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Old School MVC » January 20th, 2018, 3:12 pm

After watching the ISUb and ISUr game today, I think it is safe to say Muller is not going anywhere.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby VUGrad1314 » January 20th, 2018, 4:21 pm

There is so much potential in ISUb ISUr and indeed in so many MVC programs. I think we're entering into another great age of MVC basketball and multibid status won't be too far off.
VUGrad1314
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Lusuperfan1 » January 20th, 2018, 6:04 pm

I completely forgot about Lansing. He's an Iowa guy too. InSU has been kind of down the past couple of seasons since their NCAA appearance, but I wonder if he gets a look. Iowa just looks like they've basically quit on Fran. I think it'd certainly be for the best if they move on.

This coaching carousel will be crazy given the FBI investigation. Some schools with on court success like Arizona, USC, Auburn might be in the market for coaches as well as those who need to make a change due to on court issues. Plus, some coaches are going to be toxic to hire, which limits the supply. Obviously there isn't a can't miss coach in the Valley anymore, but we still have a lot of coaches who, while not flashy hires, will be solid hires given the market. We're a really strong conference top-to-bottom this year, especially compared to other mid major conferences.

Also, college administrators have done dumber things than potentially hiring any of the current coaches in the Valley.
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 21st, 2018, 8:38 am

Medved is the best hire this conference has made since Wichita poached Marshall from Winthrop. Hang onto and enjoy every second we get of Niko here. If Minnesota was smart, they’d wash their hands of the Pitino stench and hire this amazing alum.

Not sure P5 boosters believe Jacobson can recruit well enough. Not sure Jacobson would entertain leaving. The one scenario I’d be concerned about is Wisconsin firing Gard in a year. That’s the one P5 program in play style and recruiting style Ben fits like a glove.

Muller’s not getting a good offer after this year. Think he wants to wait until achieving his personal dream of getting ISU into the dance regardless.

Our southern 3 schools might have movement on the pinkslip front. What’s the over/under? .5 or 1.5?
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » January 21st, 2018, 9:52 am

Lansing is gone. Hinson would be gone but he has everyone of importance coming back except smithpeters so he could get a reprieve. Plus, Bol has been out all year. Lusk most likely gone unless he manages to make it to the sweet 16. Underperformed again.. I think Marty saved himself at Evansville. If I had to put money on it I bet we se two coaches fired in Lansing and Lusk.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby E-Villan » January 21st, 2018, 10:14 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:Lansing is gone. Hinson would be gone but he has everyone of importance coming back except smithpeters so he could get a reprieve. Plus, Bol has been out all year. Lusk most likely gone unless he manages to make it to the sweet 16. Underperformed again.. I think Marty saved himself at Evansville. If I had to put money on it I bet we se two coaches fired in Lansing and Lusk.

Marty hasn't saved himself from anything. If Marty survives another year it will only be due to the fact our president is retiring at the end of the school year. He hasn't shown much sack with Simmons to this point, so my guess is he will gladly kick the can. The new president could greatly endear themselves to the community by firing Marty on day one, but I doubt that will happen.

It's getting ugly here.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball