2018 MVC - Week 5

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2018 MVC - Week 5

Postby ptownbraves » January 28th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Bradley joins the 2nd place fray, taking down Indiana State for their 1st road win of the season, 81-73.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby bufan42 » January 28th, 2018, 8:28 pm

ptownbraves wrote:
bufan42 wrote:
mvfcfan wrote:I actually think attendance will go up at SL this year since it is so wide open. I'm going to Saturday and Sunday (no matter who's playing) again this year, like I did last year. If Wichita State was still in the league there's a good chance that I wouldn't be going back this year.

I agree with this in principal but I think the Valley made a huge attendance mistake moving this tournament years ago. The results have never probably shown negatively due to how strong the valley was right when the move was made and how great Wichita and creighton won and drew after that.

Point is, with 8 teams that could all probably win it, but no dominant team, will fans of these schools commit to taking Friday off work to head to the games?

I’d bet a lot they would come on Saturday if they were garunteed they would be playing a weekend game. Then once you’re there on Saturday, why not stay and watch 2 on Sunday.

But tv talks and I guess cbs pod more than espn2 did

The move to St. Louis was made almost 30 years ago and it's been one of the better college basketball tournaments in the country. I remember those SIU and Missouri State fanbases packing it in back when they were good 10-20 years ago. In the 2000s, Creighton fans would overrun the city, and then Wichita fans took over once they started to dominate with Marshall. Illinois State and Bradley had a few good years where they brought in a decent number of fans. I'm pretty sure WSU would sell out their all-session allotment every year. I thought that was 4000, plus you'd have at least another 1000 or so that would just drive up and buy tickets. Has Valpo even gotten 4000 fans at a home game this year?

It is good for the conference that the tournament is up for grabs this year, but attendance is going to be way down this year and the Scottrade will be a shell of what it was. The SEC tournament is the next weekend at Scottrade, so maybe the walk-up or local fans you'd normally get are saving their cash to see Mizzou play.

I wasn’t referring to the move to STL.

I was referring to the move of the quarter finals
Now being on Friday and not Saturday.

That was about 13 - 15 years ago. I remember when there were papers in the restroom calling jim les “mr Friday night) play-in games were then on Friday and not Thursday.
bufan42
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Bradleyfan1 » January 29th, 2018, 9:12 am

ptownbraves wrote:Bradley joins the 2nd place fray, taking down Indiana State for their 1st road win of the season, 81-73.

Thanks NK. :dance:
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball