MVC coaches and the coaching carousel

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC coaches and the coaching carousel

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 25th, 2018, 4:00 pm

underdawg wrote:
bufan42 wrote:Lusk is gone, that’s it.

Hinson is more than safe, and in fact, is doing a good job this year. They will have a big season next year.

This--maybe if they collapse next year. But five starters back ( Cook who scored 25 points last night) and throw in preseason All-MVC Bol back it's hard to see how he's not back at least next year---unless you read Saluki Nation of course :lol:

That place is going to be Hiroshima if their sources are wrong :lol:
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » January 25th, 2018, 8:25 pm

[/quote]

Honestly, I think whatever coach can lead his team to the NCAAs this year, given all the talent and parity in the conference, will get serious looks at a bigger job. Even if Jacobson is basically the only coach in the conference whose resume actually warrants those looks.[/quote]

I think if Paul Lusk led my Bears to the big dance i really don't think he would get any looks from schools in higher conferences. It would be such a fluke and I think other schools would realize that based on his overall record and game films. The man simply CAN NOT COACH.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Lusuperfan1 » January 25th, 2018, 9:58 pm

glm38 wrote:
Honestly, I think whatever coach can lead his team to the NCAAs this year, given all the talent and parity in the conference, will get serious looks at a bigger job. Even if Jacobson is basically the only coach in the conference whose resume actually warrants those looks.

I think if Paul Lusk led my Bears to the big dance i really don't think he would get any looks from schools in higher conferences. It would be such a fluke and I think other schools would realize that based on his overall record and game films. The man simply CAN NOT COACH.

Not gonna lie: I'm pretty surprised how much Mo State is dropping off as of late, so I'm starting to not like their chances in St. Louis even if I thought they were preseason favorites.

That said, while you outline a really logical way of conducting a coaching search, there are a lot more illogical ADs out there who see a tournament appearance and pounce. His recruiting and other agent/business gossip and buzz like the fact that he's from Painter's tree in a season where Purdue is a top 5 team in the country will allow ADs to talk themselves into hiring Lusk. That usually trumps detailed and thorough searches.

This is all moot though if they're a 6 seed and get bounced on Friday though
Lusuperfan1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BEARZ77 » January 27th, 2018, 9:00 am

My guess is Lusk ends up at Purdue/MU/ KSU as an assistant following this year. If he's smart he chooses that course, makes a great living as a decent assistant at a major program, and never has to be so exposed for his limitations again.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 27th, 2018, 10:20 am

BEARZ77 wrote:My guess is Lusk ends up at Purdue/MU/ KSU as an assistant following this year. If he's smart he chooses that course, makes a great living as a decent assistant at a major program, and never has to be so exposed for his limitations again.

I sincerely hope that's what happens (this year). By all accounts he was a good assistant HC. To me Lusk is the Peter principal personified.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby municup14 » January 30th, 2018, 5:20 am

I have always said it,Lusk is not a good coach.All kind of talent and they
are what 500 in the conference.Always been a big Hinson fan.Got screwed
ai Mo. St.
Marty ball,i dont think our AD has the balls to fire him.
But with us having a new president coming in they might give him one more year and then start making changes in all the sports at U of E. Every athletic team we have is horrible :
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » January 30th, 2018, 10:31 am

BEARZ77 wrote:My guess is Lusk ends up at Purdue/MU/ KSU as an assistant following this year. If he's smart he chooses that course, makes a great living as a decent assistant at a major program, and never has to be so exposed for his limitations again.

Hell, we'd pay him about what he makes now at UNI if he could go recruit and promise to never touch a game plan or participate in a single Xs and Os conversation.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Old School MVC » January 30th, 2018, 10:51 am

BCPanther wrote:

Hell, we'd pay him about what he makes now at UNI if he could go recruit and promise to never touch a game plan or participate in a single Xs and Os conversation.

Very True and Very Funny!!!
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SalukiHoops » January 30th, 2018, 10:00 pm

I have a feeling that Lusk, Lansing, Simmons are all headed out the door after this season. The way things are going Lusk might leave even earlier than that. Hinson is safe in my opinion.
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TSmithBJJ » January 30th, 2018, 11:00 pm

SalukiHoops wrote:I have a feeling that Lusk, Lansing, Simmons are all headed out the door after this season. The way things are going Lusk might leave even earlier than that. Hinson is safe in my opinion.

Hinson is more than safe. Mid-Major caliber, and a quality coach. SIU fanbase loves him and he gets his players to play hard which can be hard at sometimes. SIU has everyone returning besides Smithpeters and Wiley. Two of SIU's better players (Bol and McGill) will be returning as well from season ending injuries.
BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA.... (and MVC basketball).
TSmithBJJ
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball