MVC coaches and the coaching carousel

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC coaches and the coaching carousel

Postby troutangler » January 30th, 2018, 11:18 pm

If there is anyone who thinks Lusk is being fired before the seasons ends, you just don't know how MSU works. The school will absolutely not fire a coach mid-season short of moral/criminal issues. Now he might quit (Not likely considering the buyout they owe him if they fire him), but that is a loooong shot.

I said last year before they retained him and I've been saying it for the last couple of weeks: I have doubts they'll fire him at the end of the season. Kyle Moats is in too good with him and Clif Smart is a total clown who has no clue how D1 athletics are supposed to work. He's too damn busy creating bobbleheads of himself and taking selfies at football games.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jackwagon » January 31st, 2018, 5:56 am

Simmons and lusk are the only two on red hot seats. If anyone thinks Lansing is getting canned you're crazy. They can't pay that buyout and for the first time in awhile they have amassed some young talent
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BEARZ77 » January 31st, 2018, 8:01 am

I think you can tell from responses from MSU fans that there is zero confidence or understanding of the decision making process of our AD and President. Most thought this was a no-brainer last year and look what happened. And what makes it worse is even if they feel compelled/pressured to finally make a decision, their ability to manage the process towards the next hire is just as concerning. Shouldn't have to be that way.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sycamore79 » January 31st, 2018, 9:56 am

SalukiHoops wrote:I have a feeling that Lusk, Lansing, Simmons are all headed out the door after this season.

Lansing isn't going anywhere this off-season unless it's under his own accord. Since Odum has left, Lansing hasn't produced much, but this season has given the Sycamore fans a little hope that maybe he is capable of producing a consistent program without Odum running the show. ISU can't afford his buyout at this point and with one of the lowest budgets in the conference; the return on investment isn't that awful with 1 NCAA and 2 NITs to his name. And with no up and comer that ISU can afford it looks like Lansing is safe for at least another year (maybe 2-3).

The Sycs will miss the production from Brenton Scott, Brandon Murphy, and Qiydar Davis next season, but with Jordan Barnes, Emondre Rickman, Tyreke Key, and Clayton Hughes returning with a lot of experience and newcomers Da'Veion Washington, Blake Brinkmeyer, Iowa transfer Christian Williams, and Butler transfer Cooper Neese Lansing has infused the program with talent and will boost (at least on paper) one of the best backcourts in the Valley for a few seasons. If we can get some solid bigs, Sycamores could be in the thick of things again under Lansing.
sycamore79
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Mikovio » January 31st, 2018, 10:57 am

Just want to point out how this relates to the expansion discussion. Not only do resources allow you to hire coaches with better resumes, they allow you to fire underperforming coaches earlier by buying out their contracts. It took a lot of money to fix the Geno debacle, but Bradley got it done and we're better for it. Whereas if we had to ride out Geno's contract we'd be in year 1 of a total rebuild.

Attendance? Budgets? Current coach's salary? Donor base? Endowment? You have to look at all of this when considering expansion candidates. That's why I always thought Loyola was a great addition. While their attendance sucks, they don't need to rely on gate revenue. It's a sleeping giant-- a school with deep pockets just lacking a commitment.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 31st, 2018, 11:31 am

Mikovio wrote:Just want to point out how this relates to the expansion discussion. Not only do resources allow you to hire coaches with better resumes, they allow you to fire underperforming coaches earlier by buying out their contracts. It took a lot of money to fix the Geno debacle, but Bradley got it done and we're better for it. Whereas if we had to ride out Geno's contract we'd be in year 1 of a total rebuild.

Attendance? Budgets? Current coach's salary? Donor base? Endowment? You have to look at all of this when considering expansion candidates. That's why I always thought Loyola was a great addition. While their attendance sucks, they don't need to rely on gate revenue. It's a sleeping giant-- a school with deep pockets just lacking a commitment.

Well stated!
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » January 31st, 2018, 11:46 am

Mikovio wrote:Just want to point out how this relates to the expansion discussion. Not only do resources allow you to hire coaches with better resumes, they allow you to fire underperforming coaches earlier by buying out their contracts. It took a lot of money to fix the Geno debacle, but Bradley got it done and we're better for it. Whereas if we had to ride out Geno's contract we'd be in year 1 of a total rebuild.

Well, maybe, but at the same time, had Bradley given Geno another year, they would have likely won 16 to 18 wins the next year against a pretty murderous schedule and continued to move forward from that as the program stabilized. So a rebuild may not have even been necessary.

But don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy that we went the way we did, and was OK embracing 2-3 brutal years to get it fixed the right way, without shortcuts.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » January 31st, 2018, 12:20 pm

troutangler wrote:If there is anyone who thinks Lusk is being fired before the seasons ends, you just don't know how MSU works. The school will absolutely not fire a coach mid-season short of moral/criminal issues. Now he might quit (Not likely considering the buyout they owe him if they fire him), but that is a loooong shot.

I said last year before they retained him and I've been saying it for the last couple of weeks: I have doubts they'll fire him at the end of the season. Kyle Moats is in too good with him and Clif Smart is a total clown who has no clue how D1 athletics are supposed to work. He's too damn busy creating bobbleheads of himself and taking selfies at football games.

I'll disagree. Anything is possible but it's obvious Lusk won't be retained after his contract runs out next year. So I doubt we leave him in as a lame duck coach. That's disastrous for recruiting. At least I hope they are smart enough to realize that.

Regarding our Prez Smart I agree he isn't oriented towards athletics. But he's not a clown. On his watch MSU has undergone tremendous growth. And the campus is a showplace. Lots to be proud of regarding msu but unfortunately our mens basketball program isn't one of them.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Fraydog » January 31st, 2018, 11:40 pm

Barry isn't a likable guy.

But if he somehow wins a conference title, no one is going to care about that.

That said, before the 4 game winning streak, attendance was way, way down. Another key here? How many people are going to show up for Saturday. We better get over 6000 with the way we played the last four games. The other MAJOR issue is that SIUC still owes SIUE $30 million dollars, so until that money is paid, nothing is probably happening.

Now if Hinson got hired by a P5, we wouldn't have any money to match. That's where keeping a list is handy. Bryan Mullins is ready.
Fraydog
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BradleyFan71 » February 1st, 2018, 8:21 am

Fraydog wrote:That said, before the 4 game winning streak, attendance was way, way down. Another key here? How many people are going to show up for Saturday. We better get over 6000 with the way we played the last four games.

I'm pretty sure attendance is down across the entire league. Bradley only sold 5700 tickets for their "biggest game in a decade" last night.
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball