Early Look Ahead

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Early Look Ahead

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 2nd, 2018, 4:27 pm

Redbirds4Life wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Blers wrote:From the outside looking in I'd be surprised if Yarborough stays. I could say top 5 for sure, top 3 is tough to guarantee because I really think it's gonna be another dog fight in the valley. I'd be blown away if they're top 25. I would take last years trio + Willis over next seasons group (at this point). They played with so much effort on the defensive end.

Time will tell. Last year at this point, we all assumed McIntosh was staying. Clearly that didn't happen.

If we don't have those 3 back, we will not be top 3. Honestly, this team has 5 d-1 ready players. The rest are either brand new or rode the bench last year for ISUr....and they are still 6-5 that included blowing a 14 point lead late against SIU on the road.

Return our core and I am confident top 3...but never top 25.

We all assumed McIntosh was staying? Who honestly believed that? There were rumors he was going to leave prior to last season, as well as Hawkins....I don't think anyone was buying he was ever staying.

Hindsight is 20/20 dude. This rumor did not start until after last season ended. You act like you knew he was leaving in February of 2017. You did not.
Hawkins everyone knew he was leaving before the season...never MM
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on February 2nd, 2018, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » February 2nd, 2018, 4:39 pm

TSmithBJJ wrote:I see a lot of ISU and top 3 talk, but lets put the Redbird chatter aside for a moment. Who do you all have at the for the Top 3 spots in the MVC next year? (Too early to tell, but I'd like to know predictions)

1-SIU
2-Bradley
3-Loyola with Custer (Drop them to 6th if he leaves)
4-Illinois State
5-UNI
6-Indiana State
7-Evansville
8-Valpo
9-Drake
10-Missouri State
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » February 2nd, 2018, 4:48 pm

Redhawk wrote:
Blers wrote: I would take last years trio + Willis over next seasons group (at this point).

I respectfully disagree with you. Consider that you are comparing Senior seasons last year to Junior seasons of the current trio.

In my mind next year:
Fayne > Hawkins
Yarbrough > McIntosh
Paris = Evans ( Paris better defense/Key better offense)
Copeland > Willis

Plus the balance of the rotation will be considerably better with Williams, Tinsley, Bruninga, Clarance & King David. If Milik stays top 3 no problem. If he leaves still top 5.

Totally fair, you watch more than me. I just don't buy their commitment to defense/leadership qualities yet. Paris and Willis seemed like they demanded a lot of respect on the court from teammates. Not sure i've seen that from the group now. But a lot can change in an offseason.

I'd also echo a lot of LU next season depends on Custer's return. We have a Isaiah Bujdoso coming in next year, who's the pg from 18th ranked Sunrise Christian Academy which is exciting, but i'm sure he'll need a year to learn.
Last edited by Blers on February 2nd, 2018, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 2nd, 2018, 4:49 pm

The rumor of McIntosh leaving was there before the season ended. I remember walking back to the hotel at Arch Madness and overhearing an ISUr dad telling someone McIntosh was turning professional (which he actually transferred but still there was smoke).
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » February 2nd, 2018, 6:01 pm

Redhawk wrote:
Blers wrote: I would take last years trio + Willis over next seasons group (at this point).

I respectfully disagree with you. Consider that you are comparing Senior seasons last year to Junior seasons of the current trio.

In my mind next year:
Fayne > Hawkins
Yarbrough > McIntosh
Paris = Evans ( Paris better defense/Key better offense)
Copeland > Willis

Plus the balance of the rotation will be considerably better with Williams, Tinsley, Bruninga, Clarance & King David. If Milik stays top 3 no problem. If he leaves still top 5.

Hahaha talk about delusional! Funny what a few wins does for a fan base. Weren't you down 40 in a valley game like a week ago with that cast of characters? Comparing that group to one that went 17-1 is laughable
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirds4Life » February 2nd, 2018, 9:09 pm

We absolutely knew, MM was leaving. Oregon absolutly came out of nowhere, but it was pretty well known that he wasn’t coming back to a team without Paris, Tony and Deontae. That was pretty clear before the year even started.
Redbirds4Life
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Redhawk » February 2nd, 2018, 10:29 pm

jackwagon wrote:
Hahaha talk about delusional! Funny what a few wins does for a fan base. Weren't you down 40 in a valley game like a week ago with that cast of characters? Comparing that group to one that went 17-1 is laughable

You do realize that 17-1 team lost a game by 41 so I guess they suck!
They also were 18-14 as Juniors!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jackwagon » February 3rd, 2018, 8:15 am

Ah yes. I forgot losing to a ranked Wichita at Koch is the same as a sub .500 team in the vaunted Hulman Center! I'll eat my words if you turn out being correct, but in my mind there is no way on gods green earth this ISUR team reaches their level.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 3rd, 2018, 8:19 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:We absolutely knew, MM was leaving. Oregon absolutly came out of nowhere, but it was pretty well known that he wasn’t coming back to a team without Paris, Tony and Deontae. That was pretty clear before the year even started.

No we didn't. The only assumption was he would test the draft waters. But whatever. You just KNEW he was leaving all season. And tomorrow after the Super Bowl ends, you will have just known the result of that game too, right? You are a psychic, I'll call you Ms. Cleo from now on.

Muller did not expect to lose MM to transfer.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » February 3rd, 2018, 11:00 am

jackwagon wrote:Ah yes. I forgot losing to a ranked Wichita at Koch is the same as a sub .500 team in the vaunted Hulman Center! I'll eat my words if you turn out being correct, but in my mind there is no way on gods green earth this ISUR team reaches their level.

So last years team had a “quality” 40 point loss?

Simple fact to consider....this year and next years team can do something the 17-1 group couldn’t do...
Make the NCAA tournament!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball