Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Choose two: Who do you think the MVC should add?

Murray State
47%
Northern Kentucky
13%
UW-Milwaukee
5%
Oakland
0%
South Dakota State
4%
Southeast Missouri State
1%
Belmont
21%
Grand Canyon
2%
UT-Arlington
3%
Denver
5%

Total votes : 277

Re: Updated 1/6/18: MVC Expansion Poll

Postby BCPanther » February 14th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Norsefan92 wrote:I guess I would want to know. How much does it cost to join the Valley?

I don't believe there is a lump sum to be paid but you get reduced shares of NCAA money for the first 5 years, if memory serves.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Norsefan92 » February 14th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Okay that may be more palatable. I believe the exit fee for the Horizon League is $500,000 which is not ridiculous. The main issue as I said is that NKU is facing down a $10 million to $26 million budget cut this summer. So there are some pretty dramatic cuts that are coming to the university so it may not be a great PR move to do that while also paying money to switch conferences after 3 seasons. It will be interesting to see what happens. I have no idea what the athletic department is thinking though. I would imagine it would be hard to pass up an offer to join a better league. I do think it could help them keep Brannen longer as a coach with the step up in national recognition. It will be a tough call because I think there are a lot of people who would be content to just be a dominant program at a lower level like a Belmont.
Norsefan92
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby GoSIU88 » February 14th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Norsefan92 wrote:Okay that may be more palatable. I believe the exit fee for the Horizon League is $500,000 which is not ridiculous. The main issue as I said is that NKU is facing down a $10 million to $26 million budget cut this summer. So there are some pretty dramatic cuts that are coming to the university so it may not be a great PR move to do that while also paying money to switch conferences after 3 seasons. It will be interesting to see what happens. I have no idea what the athletic department is thinking though. I would imagine it would be hard to pass up an offer to join a better league. I do think it could help them keep Brannen longer as a coach with the step up in national recognition. It will be a tough call because I think there are a lot of people who would be content to just be a dominant program at a lower level like a Belmont.

I remember some amazing battles between NKU and USI a long time ago....USI won the regional that NKU hosted the year they won the NCAA
GoSIU88
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UNDfan » February 14th, 2018, 10:25 pm

SDSU and Denver will not be going to the MVC regardless of what this forum thinks.

The Dakota schools are simply tired of being MVC wannabes when they have more support and better academics than most of the MVC.

Once the Summit loses IPFW to the Horizon, the Summit will be in real trouble because it needs to sponsor men's soccer and baseball. IPFW is a key school for that reason. UND is joining the Summit and they actually dropped baseball expressly to make expansion needed.

What will happen is the Summit will add Montana St, Montana, Idaho and Weber St and make fb a Summit sport, and maybe even elevate it to FBS.

So the Summit schools will be:
North Dakota
NDSU
SDSU
USD
Omaha
Denver
Weber St
Montana St
Montana
Idaho

IPFW, ORU (the WAC or MVC?) and W Ill ( the OVC or Horizon?) will not want to be part of that league.

The MVC will no longer have a conference in its footprint where schools are begging to get out.

The Horizon commish has actually talked about going to 14 schools because he knows the Summit will not be a stepping stone league anymore.

The Summit will become a power league rivaling the MAC and MVC. Denver and Omaha want UND in because hockey is those three main sports and a cash cow. Idaho and the Montana's like a football centered league without Big Sky commuter schools. Weber St will want it for basketball and the overall upgrade. The Montanas would only have three flights in the conference to get to the Dakota's, Omaha, and Denver, which is much less than they have now. Moreover, FBS is enticing because playing Utah, Fresno St, Washington, Oregon, and Stanford is much more enticing than the Big Sky opponents in those regions that are almost always broke.

When they XDSU's first tried to get into a DI conference, it was the Big Sky all the way, but the Montana's didn't have the votas. When a Summit and MVFC opportunity came up, which wasn't the XDSU's preference, the MVFC imposed large exit fees on them because they knew how bad the XDSU's wanted to associate with the Montanas.
Now the Summit for the first time will become one large happy family, and UND is the only one that has been a partner for all the schools.

The MVFC has to get more football schools. Murray St is a given and Robert Morris may want in. RMU will probably get a Horizon invite as they have a new arena coming up. Maybe you can beg the Horizon to take W Illinois too, so they stay in the MVFC.

The MVC created this conundrum because of the private school cabal that hates football. Good luck.
UNDfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » February 15th, 2018, 12:41 am

MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » February 15th, 2018, 8:47 am

UNDfan wrote:SDSU and Denver will not be going to the MVC regardless of what this forum thinks.

The Dakota schools are simply tired of being MVC wannabes when they have more support and better academics than most of the MVC.

Once the Summit loses IPFW to the Horizon, the Summit will be in real trouble because it needs to sponsor men's soccer and baseball. IPFW is a key school for that reason. UND is joining the Summit and they actually dropped baseball expressly to make expansion needed.

What will happen is the Summit will add Montana St, Montana, Idaho and Weber St and make fb a Summit sport, and maybe even elevate it to FBS.

So the Summit schools will be:
North Dakota
NDSU
SDSU
USD
Omaha
Denver
Weber St
Montana St
Montana
Idaho

IPFW, ORU (the WAC or MVC?) and W Ill ( the OVC or Horizon?) will not want to be part of that league.

The MVC will no longer have a conference in its footprint where schools are begging to get out.

The Horizon commish has actually talked about going to 14 schools because he knows the Summit will not be a stepping stone league anymore.

The Summit will become a power league rivaling the MAC and MVC. Denver and Omaha want UND in because hockey is those three main sports and a cash cow. Idaho and the Montana's like a football centered league without Big Sky commuter schools. Weber St will want it for basketball and the overall upgrade. The Montanas would only have three flights in the conference to get to the Dakota's, Omaha, and Denver, which is much less than they have now. Moreover, FBS is enticing because playing Utah, Fresno St, Washington, Oregon, and Stanford is much more enticing than the Big Sky opponents in those regions that are almost always broke.

When they XDSU's first tried to get into a DI conference, it was the Big Sky all the way, but the Montana's didn't have the votas. When a Summit and MVFC opportunity came up, which wasn't the XDSU's preference, the MVFC imposed large exit fees on them because they knew how bad the XDSU's wanted to associate with the Montanas.
Now the Summit for the first time will become one large happy family, and UND is the only one that has been a partner for all the schools.

The MVFC has to get more football schools. Murray St is a given and Robert Morris may want in. RMU will probably get a Horizon invite as they have a new arena coming up. Maybe you can beg the Horizon to take W Illinois too, so they stay in the MVFC.

The MVC created this conundrum because of the private school cabal that hates football. Good luck.

I'm just going to go ahead an assume you've been drinking. That's the only logical explanation for this. Every single Dakota school would give their left nut to get into the Valley, except MAYBE UND because Hockey has to have a home.

Bonus points to you for the ol' 'Summit League Football' talking point.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby goramblers2011 » February 15th, 2018, 9:52 am

UNDfan wrote:The Summit will become a power league rivaling the MAC and MVC.

I'm not sure what is funnier about this sentence--the Summit being on par with the MVC or the MAC being considered a "power league."
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pafan » February 15th, 2018, 10:02 am

Personally, I think it's about time someone created a power conference with schools from Montana, North and South Dakota, and Nebraska. You never know when Nebraska-Lincoln will be ready to leave the B1G.

Heck, maybe the B1G is thinking about expelling Nebraska and adding Syracuse just for the New York jollies. You never know.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby UNDfan » February 15th, 2018, 10:37 am

Should not have used power league to describe it because obviously it wouldn’t be a P5. But the status would be on par with the MVC or MAC for all sports and would be very regional that would not be prone to poaching. It’s a fantastic league for all the schools and a significant upgrade of the Summit.

The only schools that would have similar academics are Ill St ad Mo St, but those don’t have much STEM programs or research. The MVC is a very weak research and academic conference and that is why Murray St is assumed in.

This will happen and the Dakota schools won’t look back, regardless of the MVC’s snobbery.

This has been a dream of the No Dak and Montana schools going back a couple generations. Too many weak schools in the respective conferences now. But joining together will create something much better. Your recruiting will suffer as a result.
UNDfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby GoSIU88 » February 15th, 2018, 10:58 am

:roll:
UNDfan wrote:Should not have used power league to describe it because obviously it wouldn’t be a P5. But the status would be on par with the MVC or MAC for all sports and would be very regional that would not be prone to poaching. It’s a fantastic league for all the schools and a significant upgrade of the Summit.

The only schools that would have similar academics are Ill St ad Mo St, but those don’t have much STEM programs or research. The MVC is a very weak research and academic conference and that is why Murray St is assumed in.

This will happen and the Dakota schools won’t look back, regardless of the MVC’s snobbery.

This has been a dream of the No Dak and Montana schools going back a couple generations. Too many weak schools in the respective conferences now. But joining together will create something much better. Your recruiting will suffer as a result.

Maybe you should just annex into Canada. :roll:
GoSIU88
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball