Fall World Series' underway

Discuss MVC baseball here

Postby Bearvision » October 9th, 2011, 9:41 am

Missouri State should have a very good squad this year if they stay healthy.

All of their best players return, including Kevin Medrano, who unexpectedly returned for his senior season.

The big key will be finding a Sunday starter to replace Barber. They'll most likely move Grant Gordon back to closer to make up for the loss of Kickham.

They have a few young guys who have taken steps forward over the summer and fall, and are very excited about the freshmen, especially Eric Cheray and Tyler Burgess, who could both find a way to start. Burgess might be the answer to the Sunday starter.

Seifert, Medrano, Chaffin, Helms, McComack make this a senior driven lineup and a couple of really good pitchers at the top.

Questions will be defense, building a deeper bullpen, and finding a consistent 3rd and 4th starter out of Clay Murphy (started 2nd game against Creighton in conference tourney and was rolling before tiring), Jake Powers- transfer from UIC who pitched decently last year, incoming freshman Tyler Burgess (probably most talented), and a couple of JUCO's. Most notably Cody Schumacher, who is a control/command type pitcher who works high 80's/low 90's.

Should be a fun year, Shox are always tough, and Gene always finds a way to put together a really good pitching staff. Creighton has to put their pitching back together, and a few other teams could be tough this year. MVC baseball is improving, and hopefully we get back to the days of multiple bids this year.

So, how are the other Valley schools looking in fall ball thus far?
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Fall World Series' underway

Postby jlandrus11 » October 10th, 2011, 10:47 am

How many guys did Creighton lose after last season?
jlandrus11
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby dannyobyrne » October 14th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Jays lost a lot -- ace Dufek, Hellhake, top hitter Adams, shortstop Swift.

BUT, unlike post 2007, when the roster was pretty much decimated, the Jays have some nice pieces back -- Co-ace Ty Blach, centerfielder Mike Gerber, closer Spomer, the rest of the infield sans Swift. Cautious optimism on the hilltop.
facebook.com/BluejayBanter
twitter.com/bluejaybanter
dannyobyrne
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Bearvision » October 18th, 2011, 6:21 am

Missouri State has added a former Razorback to the pitching staff. Eric Shanahan originally signed with Arkansas, played there as a freshman, then went to Logan A. Juco, and now will help fill depth with MSU. Possible Sunday/mid-week starter.

It appears as though several players with limited roles last year have left the team, but until the roster is official, I don't want to post names.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shockalot » October 21st, 2011, 8:26 pm

My perspective on the Shockers is that, as usual, they will have a solid pitching staff. They look to have 6 strong starting candidates in Smith, Mormann, Minnis, Beringer, Ladwig, and Gardner, but we lost a lot of experienced starting pitching with the departure of Kelley, Lowell, and Flynn, so outside of Smith, the learning curve will need to be pretty sharp for the starters to be any where as close to as good as last season. But, I think our bullpen will be much stronger, given that at least two of the 6 starting candidates above will likely be coming out of the pen for the most part, and we bring back Elam, McGreevy, and several other very good arms.
We lost most of our best offensive players in O'Brien, Grimes, and Springer, but I'm of the opinion that our offense will be either just about as good or better due to what I see as promising development of some returning players bats, and the addition of two or three freshmen who could have some impact at the plate, particularly Gillaspie. Additionally, it looks like overall team speed is increasing, which should help the offense.
But both offensively and defensively, we are not likely to replace what O'Brien gave us last year. And defense is the biggest question mark and, IMHO, more difficult aspect in which to expect improvement. The biggest question being can we fill the bill at shortstop adequately, and can we get a consistently decent presence behind the plate.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby jlandrus11 » October 25th, 2011, 10:41 am

Indiana State lost mostly pitching last year. We lost Colin Rea our Friday night starter, and we also lost our closer in Blake Drake. We also lost Brett Merkley and Jason Van Skike, who was our Saturday starter. We will have to replace 2 starters and a couple of bullpen arms. This team will be loaded with juniors and sophomores that are very talented. We have Tyler Wampler and Jeremy Lucas back this year. I think Indiana State will make a run in Missouri State next spring.
jlandrus11
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shocker3 » January 16th, 2012, 12:17 pm

shockalot wrote:My perspective on the Shockers is that, as usual, they will have a solid pitching staff. They look to have 6 strong starting candidates in Smith, Mormann, Minnis, Beringer, Ladwig, and Gardner, but we lost a lot of experienced starting pitching with the departure of Kelley, Lowell, and Flynn, so outside of Smith, the learning curve will need to be pretty sharp for the starters to be any where as close to as good as last season. But, I think our bullpen will be much stronger, given that at least two of the 6 starting candidates above will likely be coming out of the pen for the most part, and we bring back Elam, McGreevy, and several other very good arms.
We lost most of our best offensive players in O'Brien, Grimes, and Springer, but I'm of the opinion that our offense will be either just about as good or better due to what I see as promising development of some returning players bats, and the addition of two or three freshmen who could have some impact at the plate, particularly Gillaspie. Additionally, it looks like overall team speed is increasing, which should help the offense.
But both offensively and defensively, we are not likely to replace what O'Brien gave us last year. And defense is the biggest question mark and, IMHO, more difficult aspect in which to expect improvement. The biggest question being can we fill the bill at shortstop adequately, and can we get a consistently decent presence behind the plate.

I agree with your assessment of the Shockers. I am looking forward to Kevin Hall having a great senior year. It appears from fall ball that he might be improving his hitting to go along with his truly awesome defense.
Some of the new guys, particularly Gillaspie will be fun to watch as they develop.
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball