Could the Oakland Athletics move to Omaha?

Discussion unrelated to Missouri Valley Conference sports

Postby LMS » June 23rd, 2012, 9:33 am

The A's get about 20,000 fans per game but the average over the last several years is like 17,000-18,000. The talk of moving them to San Jose seems to have quieted due to objections from the Giants. Td Ameritrade can currently hold about 25,000 and city people have said it could be expanded. The A's moving was mentioned again in the world herald albeit tongue in cheek. If someone could pony up the money, I think it's possible that Omaha would embrace the team the way OKC did the Thunder.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Could the Oakland Athletics move to Omaha?

Postby Jays26 » June 23rd, 2012, 9:21 pm

Would love to have this happen but don't think it will in my lifetime. Always heard that Omaha is to close to the KC market and they would never let it happen because of some stipulation that MLB has in place right now.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 24th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Pretty unrealistic in my opinion. Omaha is a Triple AAA town like Des Moines which is perfectly fine. Omaha has triple AAA baseball, the CWS, CU basketball, with Nebraska football and volleyball just down the road. Cannot support much more than that or the others will suffer.

Also Mr. Glass the Royals owner and a proud MSU alum by the way would not allow a team that close. The A's are trying to get that stadium built in San Jose which will eventually happen.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » June 25th, 2012, 12:52 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:Pretty unrealistic in my opinion. Omaha is a Triple AAA town like Des Moines which is perfectly fine. Omaha has triple AAA baseball, the CWS, CU basketball, with Nebraska football and volleyball just down the road. Cannot support much more than that or the others will suffer.

Also Mr. Glass the Royals owner and a proud MSU alum by the way would not allow a team that close. The A's are trying to get that stadium built in San Jose which will eventually happen.

Omaha had an NBA team once. How far is Omaha from KC? Seems like that distance is a lot greater than what Oakland and SF are.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » June 25th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Red wrote:
CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:Pretty unrealistic in my opinion. Omaha is a Triple AAA town like Des Moines which is perfectly fine. Omaha has triple AAA baseball, the CWS, CU basketball, with Nebraska football and volleyball just down the road. Cannot support much more than that or the others will suffer.

Omaha had an NBA team once. How far is Omaha from KC? Seems like that distance is a lot greater than what Oakland and SF are.

12 miles and 183 miles. I go to the San Fran area a lot for work and you wouldn't even know the A's were in the market unless you followed sports. Everything in baseball around there is centered around the Giants. I doubt when the A's moved from KC to Oakland in 1968 there was much of a fight put up by the Giants. The world is different with every game being on TV and TV deals to be sold.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » June 26th, 2012, 7:26 am

If they did move, how would you compete with the big boys? The problem with MLB is the unequal distribution of revenue. Good luck getting free agents to Omaha.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ihsi » June 27th, 2012, 8:47 am

Creighton grads already own the Cubs and Dodgers. Is there another high roller with deep pockets? What about the guy who owns the hotel in Las Vegas?
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Return to Off topic