Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Baker/VanVleet - Baker/VanVleet

Postby BEARZ77 » November 7th, 2012, 9:49 pm

shockem wrote:i had a feeling thurman would make us pay for not offering him a scholaship. the next johnny murdock is gonna be a thorn in our side.

Not sure why people want to keep denying Gavin chose not to commit to WSU when an offer was on the table.It may have been removed later, though I've never seen that verified, but that was clearly after he had said he wasn't ready to make a decision and passed on accepting the scholy offer.

Either way, he's a Bear and right now he's even surprising many here with the diversity and skill set he is displaying offensively. Obviously against D-2 comp, but he has shown skills that definitely look like they will translate to success when the real games start. Someone though who seems to be passing under everyone's radar is Marcus Marshall . He is scarry good with the ball in his hands; very hard to contain someone who can create their own shot and aren't dependent on sets,plays, screens etc. He can break you down off the dribble and get an open 10 foot shot pretty consistently. They are as good as freshman as any I've seen on a Bear's roster in the last 20 years at their positions. But they have to translate that to real game performance and do it consistently overa career, so time will tell.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » November 8th, 2012, 6:31 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
shockem wrote:i had a feeling thurman would make us pay for not offering him a scholaship. the next johnny murdock is gonna be a thorn in our side.

Not sure why people want to keep denying Gavin chose not to commit to WSU when an offer was on the table.It may have been removed later, though I've never seen that verified, but that was clearly after he had said he wasn't ready to make a decision and passed on accepting the scholy offer.

I think that sums it up. There was an offer and no commitment. Gavin was then told to wait until spring if he wanted to be a Shocker. He didn't want to be a Shocker. The Bears got a skilled offensive player.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » November 8th, 2012, 6:46 am

It's no big deal either way, I think one of Gavin's decision points was the fact his gf, Katie Palmer, was also committing to MSU. Kids choose schools for varying reasons, I'm just glad he did. We went into that recruiting class looking for shot makers and got several kids who fit the bill.Now we will see if they can do it when it really counts.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 8th, 2012, 6:00 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:It's no big deal either way, I think one of Gavin's decision points was the fact his gf, Katie Palmer, was also committing to MSU. Kids choose schools for varying reasons, I'm just glad he did. We went into that recruiting class looking for shot makers and got several kids who fit the bill.Now we will see if they can do it when it really counts.

Good luck to Gavin! I will certainly be pulling for the Wichita kid to be successful. If he is All-Conference material, I'll be giving him hell in Wichita, but as long as the Shockers are successful without him I'll wish the best for him.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 8th, 2012, 8:10 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:It's no big deal either way, I think one of Gavin's decision points was the fact his gf, Katie Palmer, was also committing to MSU. Kids choose schools for varying reasons, I'm just glad he did. We went into that recruiting class looking for shot makers and got several kids who fit the bill.Now we will see if they can do it when it really counts.

First real test will be a week from Sat when our young Bears play San Diego State who I believe is pre season ranked in the top 25. I'm really interested to see how Gavin and Marcus play against some real competition.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » November 13th, 2013, 9:42 pm

I kind of think this thread might keep resurfacing for a few more years.

Anyone who's watched VanVleet this year is starting to think he might be a PoY contender. NBA scouts coming in to Wichita to see Early are all asking about Baker.

Until WSU's post players can demand double teams, opponents will dog Baker and Early. That's what happened with WKU, so VanVleet beat his guy and lit it up for 17 on a great shooting night.

Pick your poison.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » November 13th, 2013, 10:08 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:So far, Van Vleet is averaging a foul every 2.5 minutes he is on the court and those were incurred against a D2 team. That would keep him off the floor for MVC schools that value avoiding fouls (Creighton, UNI, etc.). It isn't WSU's depth that will keep him off the floor; his propensity to foul often is what will keep him off the floor. No doubt, though, that he is the chosen one. :bounce:

So far, I'm pretty pleased with what I've seen from Creighton's new freshman, and Deontae "Teddy" Hawkins' best friend, Andre Yates.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Idiot.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Black » November 13th, 2013, 10:15 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I'd bet a beer or two in St. Louis 4 years from now, that the names Thurman and Marshall will have caused much more opponent angst than Baker and Van Fleet.

Also idiot. :bow:

Man, these two deserve some major crow right now.
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby saluki762 » November 14th, 2013, 2:10 am

Black wrote:
BEARZ77 wrote:I'd bet a beer or two in St. Louis 4 years from now, that the names Thurman and Marshall will have caused much more opponent angst than Baker and Van Fleet.

He could still be right. Especially since at least 10 Shockers would start on all other MVC teams, Baker and Van Fleet will never have as stellar numbers as they would on other teams.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby saluki762 » November 14th, 2013, 2:10 am

Black wrote:

He could still be right. Especially since at least 10 Shockers would start on all other MVC teams, Baker and Van Fleet will never have as stellar numbers as they would on other teams.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball