Evansville at Indiana (Nov 21st)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville at Indiana (Nov 21st)

Postby sect.3purple » November 21st, 2010, 6:37 pm

In the humble opinion of a loyal Aces fan, I believe we need to shoot the 3 much more and not try to go inside so much....that seems to be where we are weakest. Also, Colt Ryan needs to step up his game ...and shooting the 3....from the opening buzzer. Too often he waits until the last few minutes when the game is out of reach to shoot. I like Ned Cox and Jahr and Holmes shooting the 3 more often also....the 3 is a weapon that a team like the Aces should build on and utilize to put points on the board. Until we master the 3 we ae going to have a difficult time winning games.
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » November 21st, 2010, 6:51 pm

PA Fan, excellent post. No way did I expect us to be ahead at halftime. I wanted us to be close enough so our "adjustments" would allow us to compete the second half. We sometimes forget the difficulty of winning on the road. Anyway, at halftime, I assumed the Hoosiers would "overreach" and "overcompensate", force their play, and play anxiously. I was wrong. We rely more on accurate three point shooting than others; always have, always will. If we are not shooting and making threes, than we will struggle. True story: in 2000, while at a high school game in Kansas City I was wearing an Evansville sweatshirt and a local high school Assistant Coach asked "why." When I informed that my son had committed to Evansville he said "your son is a pure point and Evansville players are known for their shooting." I said the "coach knows his background and I agreed that he would have to get better." My point: the Aces are known for the ability to hit open jumpers. BCS programs are not afraid of MVC bangers; our three point shooters scare big time teams. Ask Kansas.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » November 21st, 2010, 8:09 pm

You guys do realize that we were 2 for 9 from he 3 point line before making our last 3 threes when the game was already over.
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ace Dad » November 21st, 2010, 9:21 pm

acesfool wrote:You guys do realize that we were 2 for 9 from he 3 point line before making our last 3 threes when the game was already over.

I bet PA Fan would say we should have taken 12-14 3s as opposed to the nine. So would others. I love the 3 ball, but only when we have established the post and we play an in and out game.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » November 21st, 2010, 10:04 pm

UE played a great defensive game in the first half was able to take it to IU. Crean made the adjustment at half and the officiating change on what was called in the second compared to the first. UE didn't recover from those changes quick enough and recovered only after the IU dominated the first 12 minutes.

Playing good teams on tough home floors will help UE get ready for the conference

GO ACES
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PocketAces » November 22nd, 2010, 7:02 am

Ace Dad wrote:
acesfool wrote:You guys do realize that we were 2 for 9 from he 3 point line before making our last 3 threes when the game was already over.

I bet PA Fan would say we should have taken 12-14 3s as opposed to the nine. So would others. I love the 3 ball, but only when we have established the post and we play an in and out game.

This is great when you have a post threat to establish. The Aces have none. There are many teams out there who don't waste time "establishing the post" when they don't have one. Doesn't mean you never go inside, but you have to work the opposite. Butler is a prime example. They drive, surround the three point line with 3-4 shooters, and let fly. This would then open up the inside for Howard or whomever.
PocketAces
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby pafan » November 22nd, 2010, 8:25 am

I don't find this particularly alarming. 22% from three on a night when you shoot 35% from the floor isn't bad.

To Ace Dad's point ... there wasn't much of an in and out game on Sunday, now that you mention it ...
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby sect.3purple » November 22nd, 2010, 12:52 pm

My point in saying that I think we need to shoot the 3 a lot more is exactly what has been pointed out on this board. We do not have an inside game to establish...unless the post player has plenty of time and space to work with....points being made from outside shooting should help with that offense, and we do have several guys who can hit the 3. Someone mentioned Butler as an example of this plan....outside shooting puts points on the board and frees Howard more to work in the paint. Cox, Ryan, Holmes, Jahr....all can hit the 3, but it seems they often pass up open shots, especially Ryan. I think we won't have a lot of success until we utilize our outside shooters more. How many times against IU did we run clever plays and still couldn't complete the play inside and get rewarded with 2 or 3 points? The 3 can add points quickly and light ut a team's energy level...or break the back of the opponent. I think we are overlooking a strength that this team has....I know you can't depend solely on the 3, but it helps teams like ours that lack a strong inside presence and height. Great shooting sure covers a lot of other weaknesses and also helps supply energy and attitude, two characteristics teams like ours need every minute of every game.
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball