What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Postby KCfan » July 30th, 2014, 9:13 am

Everyone favorite topic! What happens next?
KCfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Aargh » July 30th, 2014, 8:39 pm

We're given 3 options - each of which is unlikely.

The least unlikely is that WSU moves on to another league.

Elgin will NEVER expand the Valley. He's been opposed to that forever. If the MVC would expand, the pattern is that schools from Illinois would be added. Anybody ready for Eastern Illinois and Western Illinois - or maybe SIU-E and Nebraska-Omaha?

Moving to FBS FB is economic suicide unless you get a TV contract immediately. UNI has the program with the best likelihood of any level of success in FBS, but UNI seems to have fairly intelligent people at the top (AD and Pres). If CaseyGarrison can be believed at any level, MSU doesn't share that, but MSU is so broke and their FB program is so bad, that their going FBS is nearly laughable. Not really - it's actually very laughable.

That leaves WSU jumping conferences as the least unlikely of the unlikely options. The Power 5 going to the NCAA for some autonomy, stipends for athletes, etc. could change the scenario. If athletic stipends are allowed by the NCAA, WSU will be all over that like white on rice.

WSU's current success - followed by a major commitment to spend the dollars to pursue excellence - could change the scenario for WSU getting an invite from another conference. If the Power 5 throw down the financial gauntlet, the more elite leagues outside the Power 5 may want to take immediate steps to bolster their competitive position. Gonzaga, WSU, VCU, and a few others may become attractive targets.

Within the last decade, the MVC was one of the elite conferences outside the Power 5. Now, with the exception of WSU, the MVC has become the Horizon League.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » July 31st, 2014, 9:20 am

I don't think anything happens soon. The whole landscape is paralyzed by the current "D4" talk, stipends, and everything else being talked about in relation to a re-structuring of the NCAA. Everyone pretty much has to wait to see the landscape in which they're realigning before they actually realign.

What really, really sucks for Wichita is their timing. If they made their big move around '08-09 like Butler, they'd likely be in a much better place right now. But instead, they made their move in the 2 year window when the entire realignment picture is paralyzed because of uncertainty.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Cdizzle » July 31st, 2014, 9:51 am

I just hope it stays paralyzed for a few years and WSU wins a national championship from here before they blow it all up.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby saluki762 » July 31st, 2014, 8:07 pm

"If" the Mountain West adds Gonzaga, MVC expansion is the most likely. If they are unable to entice the 'Zags to move, WSU leaving is most likely. I would like to see 2 teams added.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » July 31st, 2014, 8:42 pm

I didn't vote because I think the most likely scenario is the MVC is unchanged for the next couple of years.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » July 31st, 2014, 9:01 pm

saluki762 wrote:"If" the Mountain West adds Gonzaga, MVC expansion is the most likely. If they are unable to entice the 'Zags to move, WSU leaving is most likely. I would like to see 2 teams added.

The SalukiNation topic baited me into listening to an interview with the MWC commissioner and he sounded more opposed to expansion than Doug Elgin.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ACECARD » August 2nd, 2014, 8:31 pm

glm38 wrote:I didn't vote because I think the most likely scenario is the MVC is unchanged for the next couple of years.

Ditto for me also. I think any of the three is unlikely in the short run.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby GrandpaBear » August 19th, 2014, 6:40 am

Leagues like the A10, CAA and MVC need to figure out what we're doing because the way things are moving we could be left out in the cold if the P5 break from the NCAA in basketball too. Dangerous times.
GrandpaBear
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Red » September 8th, 2014, 1:24 pm

Maybe the Big Ten will drop down to FCS level football and merge with the Valley?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball