NCAA Baseball tourney

Discuss MVC baseball here

Re: NCAA Baseball tourney

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » June 2nd, 2015, 5:17 pm

Championz wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:
I guess both of these "hosings" would be a non-issue if MSU didn't play the role of the rented mule.

Classy post. I'll take playing in a fantastic ballpark, having an excellent team, and knowing that our student athletes pay full price for their Under Armour gear over the alternative anyday.

I have no ill will at WSU's program, but a lot of the fans that you have to deal with really cheapen the experience and cause many of us to not really want to post much on this forum.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby martymoose » June 2nd, 2015, 5:36 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
Championz wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:
I guess both of these "hosings" would be a non-issue if MSU didn't play the role of the rented mule.

Classy post. I'll take playing in a fantastic ballpark, having an excellent team, and knowing that our student athletes pay full price for their Under Armour gear over the alternative anyday.

I have no ill will at WSU's program, but a lot of the fans that you have to deal with really cheapen the experience and cause many of us to not really want to post much on this forum.

But, he was just responding to a MSU fan making up a bunch of crap about how MSU is getting screwed by the NCAA and Arkansas...all of which is untrue...his statement in response to that about MSU being a rented mule is fairly accurate. If I were a MSU fan in this situation, I'd be bitter at my university for letting this happen. It's the price you pay for not owning your own 1st class facilities and instead renting them from someone else.

WSU has hosted a lot of regionals over the years and I've been to a lot of them, but nothing really tops hosting a super regional. Win or lose the atmosphere is insane on college baseball standards. Hopefully you get the opportunity to experience it someday. Thankfully we have a Final Four and Sweet 16's to tide us over while the baseball program rebuilds...hopefully you get to experience one of those someday as well.
martymoose
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby glm38 » June 2nd, 2015, 5:38 pm

I don't think MSU got hosed by the Hogs at all. I tried to get tickets and couldn't. Disappointing but I don't blame Arkansas.

But the ncaa is another matter. The Springfield cardinals were willing to work around the super regionals. It would have worked fine. Kind of stupid IMO that the ncaa insists on their game being the only ones played in said facility.

Call it a rented facility if you want but no team in the Valley gets to play in a finer facility than Hammons field.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Sir Sci » June 3rd, 2015, 9:22 am

glm38 wrote:I don't think MSU got hosed by the Hogs at all. I tried to get tickets and couldn't. Disappointing but I don't blame Arkansas.

But the ncaa is another matter. The Springfield cardinals were willing to work around the super regionals. It would have worked fine. Kind of stupid IMO that the ncaa insists on their game being the only ones played in said facility.

Call it a rented facility if you want but no team in the Valley gets to play in a finer facility than Hammons field.

This is exactly how I feel. The Razorbacks are doing what any hosting team would do: Give their fans the first chance to get tickets. It just happens that they had over 10,000 ticket orders in the first couple of hours from just donors and season ticket holders. Even the regular Razorbacks fan never had a chance to get tickets.

What I dislike (and, perhaps, would use the word "hosed" for) is that the Springfield Cardinals were willing to work out a schedule and the NCAA said no. Sure, I get that they have policies, but it's a policy that seems overbearing.

Now, I also understand why the policy exists. There was a time when the NCAA allowed a different college to host a super regional when another team was also slated to play at the stadium, and one of the games went into extra innings and they conflicted. I understand that this is a possibility and something the NCAA wants to avoid.

Now, about the "rented mule" comment. When Hammons built the stadium, while the Springfield Cardinals are certainly the primary tenant and the Bears have to pay rent, that was part of the agreement that Hammons struck. He made it very clear from the very beginning that this facility was intended to serve as a facility for Missouri State as well.

Additionally, I quite frankly don't want Missouri State to build its own baseball stadium. Hammons Field is an excellent ballpark and the indoor facilities are just as crucial to the team as playing on a high quality field. When recruits tour campus and Hammons, to them it's not some degrading status of sharing a ballpark also used by a minor league team. For them, it's a perk to play on an AA quality field with indoor workout facilities. A significant reason why the Bears have attracted the kind of talent necessary to be the #8 national seed is because of Hammons Field. I'll take being a "rented mule" who gets to Super Regionals over being a property owner who goes 0-2 in the MVC Baseball Tournament.
Sir Sci
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Championz » June 3rd, 2015, 10:03 am

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
Championz wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:

Practice what you preach and stay off other opposing teams' message boards acting like a tool. You'll get finished off with all of the crap YOU start.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » June 5th, 2015, 7:24 pm

18-4 Arkansas over MSU in game one, sure wish MSU could have hosted.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jjclamdip » June 6th, 2015, 4:54 am

glm38 wrote:

It doesn't matter how nice it is, it is still a rented facility, there is nothing like an on campus college facility the one at Arkansas is a great example.

Kind of like renting/hiring a whore. :dance:
Jjclamdip
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby NeutralObserver » June 6th, 2015, 9:36 am

isumvc1 wrote:18-4 Arkansas over MSU in game one, sure wish MSU could have hosted.

Do you really think it would have mattered where this game was played Moron?
NeutralObserver
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Statman » June 6th, 2015, 1:17 pm

How many partisan Razorback fans were in the stands? Hell yes it makes a difference, especially after breezing thru 9 straight batters and then hitting some rough waters.

Bear are up 3-0 in the 4th...should've had another run by scoring Becker from 3B w/ only 1 out, but Matheny must not be able to bunt! This could come back to haunt MO St. Exactly the same type of crap that characterized IN St. this past season. Why get runners on base if you're not gonna MOVE them? :Violin:

Thought that Guttin went too long w/ Hall and should've pulled him after the 2nd walk in the 7th inning. With Young waiting in relief, what's there to gain by pushing Hall an extra inning? AR only scored 1 run, but the RISK far outweighed any advantage of leaving Hall in the game, especially given the "quietness" of the Bear bats since early game.
Statman
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby isumvc1 » June 6th, 2015, 4:29 pm

congrats Bears! Now one win away from Omaha! Winners today 3-1 over Arkansas!
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Baseball