January 4th MVC games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: January 4th MVC games

Postby ACECARD » January 6th, 2017, 1:15 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
chitown fanatic wrote:I couldn't believe Marty left him in there after number 4...I was screaming go at taylor now!! its still early, we'll know a little more on standings in a week as there are a number of key games sat and wed

He kept him in the game because he is his best player. Evansville was down between 5-7 points during that time and under 6:00 left. Why would you take him out? Sitting with four fouls and sitting with five fouls is still time elapsed where he is on the bench. The Aces clearly aren't the same team with him on the bench.

So why fall behind more and then bring him back two minutes later down 10 or so?

Same argument for playing Colt, Balentine, and Brown 38-40 minutes a game. Probably not the thing to do, but you weaken your team if they are not in the game. Yes, and even dog tired those three are better than anything else they could do.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » January 6th, 2017, 1:19 pm

The argument for playing Ryan, Balentine, et. al 38 minutes a game had to do with scoring average. It's why they played 38 minutes a game when Evansville won by 25. It also only helps perpetuate the problem of a 6-deep rotation and a program that can't keep a viable 4-man from transferring out.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby underdawg » January 6th, 2017, 1:33 pm

ptownbraves wrote:Nice to see Bradley get a Valley road win against a team picked ahead of them in the preseason. I'm not going to get too high on this win as they still turned it over 18 times and allowed 16 offensive rebounds, but Bradley's defense limited Evansville to 12 made field goals after locking down SIU in a similar fashion.

PLEASE SIU missed tons of completely open shots in their loss to the Gargoyles--they weren't "locked down"==you'll find that out when you come here
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby squirrel » January 6th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Both statements are true. Locked down was probably not the greatest choice of terms. Bradley was definitely very aggressive defensively...enough to rattle the Salukis to the point that they never did start hitting their open shots, which the Braves allowed.

But the Braves have been very good about contesting shots so far in league play.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 6th, 2017, 2:47 pm

underdawg wrote:
ptownbraves wrote:Nice to see Bradley get a Valley road win against a team picked ahead of them in the preseason. I'm not going to get too high on this win as they still turned it over 18 times and allowed 16 offensive rebounds, but Bradley's defense limited Evansville to 12 made field goals after locking down SIU in a similar fashion.

PLEASE SIU missed tons of completely open shots in their loss to the Gargoyles--they weren't "locked down"==you'll find that out when you come here

You went 2-26 from three...maybe we were just letting you shoot them, and try to be a little more creative with your insults. Calling us Gargoyles is cheap and easy, not to mention dumb. You're making all the Wichita guys look clever.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 6th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Yeah! Clearly calling them clocks is betterer and more insulting!

I'm a fan of Bradley becoming one of the leaders in the league. But based on what I've seen, I'm not sure if they are actually playing good defense or if they have played some inept offenses. WSU scored 100 against them, the first time they've hung 100 in league play in 30 years. Sample sizes, I suppose. Time will tell.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » January 6th, 2017, 2:52 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:You're making all the Wichita guys look clever.

What does this even mean?
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Old School MVC » January 6th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Are we talking about Bradley being a Lock down Defense? They have allowed 78 pts per game in conference? And 2/3 of their games have been placed against teams picked to be in the Bottom 4 of the Conference. I am glad to see Bradley playing a little better, but please, let's not go overboard calling them a "Lock Down" Defense!
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSpringsBird » January 6th, 2017, 3:08 pm

specialsauce wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:You're making all the Wichita guys look clever.

What does this even mean?

:D
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Stickboy46 » January 6th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Old School MVC wrote:Are we talking about Bradley being a Lock down Defense? They have allowed 78 pts per game in conference? And 2/3 of their games have been placed against teams picked to be in the Bottom 4 of the Conference. I am glad to see Bradley playing a little better, but please, let's not go overboard calling them a "Lock Down" Defense!

It's a very small sample size either way, but excluding the WSU game where they got lit up from 3 (and everywhere), the other two games they held their opponents to an average of 57. Not a bad start at least.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball