Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby Cdizzle » January 11th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:It is when your coach struggles to get out of Saturday games in St. Louis... ahem... :)
:Cheers:

As much crap as Marshall and WSU get for flailing in St. Louis (and somewhat deservedly so, I get it), there is only one coach in the league with more MVC Tourney titles, and 7 with less. I think the ISUr NCAA tournament record *cough* during that time would indicate they are probably among those programs with coaches in the "less" category.

:Cheers:

And here we go with changing the argument because the original one is lost by a Shocker!

Yes, we've VASTLY under-performed under past and current coaching staffs. No Illinois State fan will disagree with you at all there. Here's to hoping that trend is over!

Who changed what argument? And who lost an argument to begin with? I get so confused sometimes with all the grasping for relevance straws.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hot nuts » January 11th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Maybe the Redbirds and Shockers both lose tonight and everyone can commence with the long lost tradition from message boards long since extinct...hating on the first place Salukis.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 11th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Who changed what argument? And who lost an argument to begin with? I get so confused sometimes with all the grasping for relevance straws.

Who is grasping at relevance? You made a claim that was refuted with facts.

Original claim: Getting to the finals in St. Louis can involve beating 2 teams of questionable quality. It doesn't mean you suck, but that alone is a tremendously weak argument to be a 'good' team.

Refuted claim: See above posts with games and box scores of good, solid semifinal games showing those games weren't against teams of "questionable quality". This was shown as an understanding of where BirdsEyeView would have thought we had "good" teams to make the finals of those tourneys. "Bad" or even "mediocre" teams, don't win those 4 games I pointed out to you as examples.

You then tried to backtrack and say those were only "1 game" and you had to look at the season as a whole... then tried to reference where good teams may have laid an egg in "1 game" negating the stance you just took.

It's ok for a point you make to be wrong. I know you're used to winning everything under the sun, but being wrong about 1 point on a message board isn't the end of the world man.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby specialsauce » January 11th, 2017, 3:06 pm

Boy, it sure doesn't take long to get this guy out from under the rocks. Not a peep for nearly 24 hours until someone casted doubt on his beloved Redbirds and now he's running loose. Yah, speaking for not ever letting things go or for a rock to slip through the crack. Hi Pot. Meet Kettle.

Who would have the audacity to question the "goodness" of Illinois State based on two freaking wins in the Valley Tournament? The bar is being set pretty low here.

It's absolutely astonishing how some fans build up 3 days in St. Louis and think that is superior and out-of-worldly over a 3 month stretch of games. But then again, when the argument doesn't favor you, it makes sense.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 11th, 2017, 3:21 pm

specialsauce wrote:It's absolutely astonishing how some fans build up 3 days in St. Louis and think that is superior and out-of-worldly over a 3 month stretch of games. But then again, when the argument doesn't favor you, it makes sense.

He's not building up 3 days in STL. He was defending my "good" team stance that was attempted to be refuted (which is a no-win argument anyways).

We want to get an at large bid just like you without relying on Arch Madness. The thread from Valley Game 4 with your back and forth arguments about this defends that end-game. If he didn't care about the at large, then that argument never happens.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 11th, 2017, 3:35 pm

specialsauce wrote:Boy, it sure doesn't take long to get this guy out from under the rocks. Not a peep for nearly 24 hours until someone casted doubt on his beloved Redbirds and now he's running loose. Yah, speaking for not ever letting things go or for a rock to slip through the crack. Hi Pot. Meet Kettle.

There's my buddy! Finally!!!!
Yeah, it took me a bit to post and I'm sorry for not checking in with you before doing so.
I'm sorry I don't have 26,000 posts spanning a few different boards as well as many different names.
You know... things to do and all.

specialsauce wrote:Who would have the audacity to question the "goodness" of Illinois State based on two freaking wins in the Valley Tournament? The bar is being set pretty low here.
It's absolutely astonishing how some fans build up 3 days in St. Louis and think that is superior and out-of-worldly over a 3 month stretch of games.

Can someone on the shocker message board sit this kid down and teach him how to read? PLEASE?!? It's not even fun anymore debating him when he doesn't even grasp the topic at hand.
specialsauce wrote:But then again, when the argument doesn't favor you, it makes sense.

How on God's green earth would you know if an argument favors someone when you don't even understand the argument at hand?
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 11th, 2017, 3:44 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Who changed what argument? And who lost an argument to begin with? I get so confused sometimes with all the grasping for relevance straws.

Who is grasping at relevance? You made a claim that was refuted with facts.

Original claim: Getting to the finals in St. Louis can involve beating 2 teams of questionable quality. It doesn't mean you suck, but that alone is a tremendously weak argument to be a 'good' team.

Refuted claim: See above posts with games and box scores of good, solid semifinal games showing those games weren't against teams of "questionable quality". This was shown as an understanding of where BirdsEyeView would have thought we had "good" teams to make the finals of those tourneys. "Bad" or even "mediocre" teams, don't win those 4 games I pointed out to you as examples.

You then tried to backtrack and say those were only "1 game" and you had to look at the season as a whole... then tried to reference where good teams may have laid an egg in "1 game" negating the stance you just took.

It's ok for a point you make to be wrong. I know you're used to winning everything under the sun, but being wrong about 1 point on a message board isn't the end of the world man.

Your conclusion assumes that bad and mediocre teams don't ever beat good and great teams. And that's a terrible assumption. Bad and mediocre teams beat good and even great teams. It happens all the time. One bad team doesn't do it a lot in one season, but lots of bad teams beat lots of good teams in aggregate.

I seem to have done a lot of 'backtracking' I don't remember. I suppose you also forgot to read the parts where I tried very hard to maintain thread civility and not direct my comments specifically at any given team. If you would really like to get into the specifics of relevance, mediocre/good/great both at the conference and national level, specific to the 2 teams you want to talk about, I'm game. But you're going to start not having any fun very quickly.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiHoops » January 11th, 2017, 3:52 pm

James_SIU wrote:Having gone to every SIU game the last 10 years I can't tell that we have a "rival" anymore. Obviously WSU games bring in the biggest crowds but other than that every game feels the same in the arena to me. The Blackout game seems to be a random opponent as well. It is all about the cancer research funding. Creighton was our only rival for years...really doesn't feel like we have a replacement.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby specialsauce » January 11th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Boy, it sure doesn't take long to get this guy out from under the rocks. Not a peep for nearly 24 hours until someone casted doubt on his beloved Redbirds and now he's running loose. Yah, speaking for not ever letting things go or for a rock to slip through the crack. Hi Pot. Meet Kettle.

Yeah, it took me a bit to post and I'm sorry for not checking in with you before doing so.
I'm sorry I don't have 26,000 posts spanning a few different boards as well as many different names.

specialsauce wrote:Who would have the audacity to question the "goodness" of Illinois State based on two freaking wins in the Valley Tournament? The bar is being set pretty low here.
It's absolutely astonishing how some fans build up 3 days in St. Louis and think that is superior and out-of-worldly over a 3 month stretch of games.

Can someone on the shocker message board sit this kid down and teach him how to read? PLEASE?!? It's not even fun anymore debating him when he doesn't even grasp the topic at hand.
specialsauce wrote:But then again, when the argument doesn't favor you, it makes sense.

How on God's green earth would you know if an argument favors someone when you don't even understand the argument at hand?

You're really good at breaking apart posts without responding to any points in them. But then again, that's your thin-skinned, hypocritical nature.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 11th, 2017, 4:07 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:

You're really good at breaking apart posts without responding to any points in them. But then again, that's your thin-skinned, hypocritical nature.

*eating popcorn*
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball