MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby 2livewu » January 12th, 2017, 12:02 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:At the current time Juwan McCloud isn't close to as good as Darrell Brown at Bradley.

Doubt he ever will be.

UNI is hugely deficient talent wise. Ugly without Lohaus and Morgan, the only 2 players capable of creating their own shot. Jake will always get a lot out of what they have, but that needle is trending down, fast.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 12th, 2017, 12:27 pm

I am not being snarky, when I say that McDonnell needs to be introduced to the weight training center.

I think I could push him around and I am a very old goat at 6'-0 1/2".

I watched the latter part of the B.U. game last night and I could hardly believe my eyes. The Cats were not very good.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 12th, 2017, 1:27 pm

I watched the latter part of the BU/UNI game last night, and now I don't have any eyes.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bmarq04 » January 12th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Here's a question for the UNI guys about McLoud....

At the beginning of the year we were hearing amazing things from some of you about him. Knowing that UNI seems to be struggling in refined talent right now, did he look that good because he was playing against other UNI guys in practice, or has he regressed some?
Bmarq04
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby specialsauce » January 12th, 2017, 2:07 pm

BCPanther wrote:On the flip side, there's 6 left with DU/BU/ISUb and Evansville in Cedar Falls. Lose either of the next two and I'll change my mind but they're in better shape than last year at 2-6, note I'm not saying the end result will be the same. That team was better built and much tougher mentally.

Have you flipped yet?

I must say I don't see the better situation this year vs last year. And I'm also not seeing a tougher mentality either, at least from what I saw against Bradley.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » January 12th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Bmarq04 wrote:Here's a question for the UNI guys about McLoud....

At the beginning of the year we were hearing amazing things from some of you about him. Knowing that UNI seems to be struggling in refined talent right now, did he look that good because he was playing against other UNI guys in practice, or has he regressed some?

No, he was actually one of the best players in the summer league that UNI and Iowa send players to. Light years ahead of where the Bohannon kid that's starting at Iowa was. Other than confidence, I'm not sure what the deal is. He's doing a nice job of not turning the ball over and is able to beat guys off the dribble, he's just having some real indecision about what to do with the ball when he gets into the lane. Part of it is experience and part of it is trying so hard to make the perfect play every time. He's pressing and he'll get over that.

I still think his future is very bright, he just wasn't quite as ready as any of us, including the staff, thought he was.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » January 12th, 2017, 2:22 pm

specialsauce wrote:
BCPanther wrote:On the flip side, there's 6 left with DU/BU/ISUb and Evansville in Cedar Falls. Lose either of the next two and I'll change my mind but they're in better shape than last year at 2-6, note I'm not saying the end result will be the same. That team was better built and much tougher mentally.

Have you flipped yet?

I must say I don't see the better situation this year vs last year. And I'm also not seeing a tougher mentality either, at least from what I saw against Bradley.

Yup. I think we're a Thursday team for the first time in 13 years, I believe you'll see us in the 8/9 game. My reference to the better situation was mathematical, you had a lot more time to make up the games this year than last year, but alas its just not going to happen, especially if Morgan misses any more time.

Though I will say, Carlson has been better the last two games, but at the same time, I've never seen anyone as unhappy playing as Bennett Koch. I don't think he really likes the game. I think he plays because his brothers played. It's a shame too because on pure talent he might be the best of the three of them.

It gets better next year. As the saying goes, the best thing about Freshmen is they become sophomores.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 12th, 2017, 2:22 pm

'wasn't quite as ready' is the understatement of the year so far.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 12th, 2017, 2:24 pm

BCPanther wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Have you flipped yet?

Yup. I think we're a Thursday team for the first time in 13 years, I believe you'll see us in the 8/9 game. My reference to the better situation was mathematical, you had a lot more time to make up the games this year than last year, but alas its just not going to happen, especially if Morgan misses any more time.

Though I will say, Carlson has been better the last two games, but at the same time, I've never seen anyone as unhappy playing as Bennett Koch. I don't think he really likes the game. I think he plays because his brothers played. It's a shame too because on pure talent he might be the best of the three of them.

It gets better next year. As the saying goes, the best thing about Freshmen is they become sophomores.

They do become sophomores. But seniors also become gone. It's great the Morgan is so good he's leading UNI in every statistical category. Except that it isn't leading to wins this year and he's gone next year.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 12th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I watched the latter part of the BU/UNI game last night, and now I don't have any eyes.

The first 16 minutes of the second half were good...the last four set basketball back about 140 years :)

Luuk van Bree looked like Dirk Nowitski versus the UNI post dudes. That's not a good sign for the Panthers.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball