2023-82

NIT--2019, 2021, 2022, 2023

Travel--

to Valpo- 3 hours
to UIC----3H 40m

to Indiana St.--4H 25m
to Illinois-------5H

QUESTION.

Would extra travel to Toledo be a concern (red flag) to other MVC teams??

Might Toledo get an A10 invite?

They aren't a travel red flag at all. They're not anymore on an island than Missouri State was after Wichita left. In fact, it probably saves a couple flights from the eastern schools.

In fact, their most likely travel partner for women's sports (Indiana State) is closer to Toledo than the current Springfield to Carbondale pairing.

UNI-Drake
Bradley-Illinois State
Murray-SIU
Evansville-Belmont
UIC-Valpo
Indiana State-Toledo

The A10 seems to like splashy NCAA runs before you get an invite and Toledo doesn't have that so, while possible, the Valley just seems like a much better fit.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: Mountain West dangerously close to dissolving

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ColonialBulldog » October 15th, 2024, 11:49 am

I have to imagine that the MWC would need to offer a pretty sweet deal to bring in Toledo and NIU as football only members. The watered down MWC might be better than the MAC, but it's certainly not head-and-shoulders above the MAC in quality.

Conversely, the MAC has a lot going for it. Geographically it's the best FBS conference for travel. Athletically, I'm not sure you increase your odds of getting a playoff spot in football if you go to the MWC. The pecking order for the 5th spot (while the current format still exists) is Pac-12, then AAC, then MWC. But the MAC isn't far behind the new MWC. Going undefeated in the MAC is possible and would likely get you a spot in the playoff. That's a long winded way of saying they're not terrible for football. I'm not saying the right move is to stay in the MAC for NIU and Toledo, but the MWC is going to really need to sweeten the pot to get them to leave.

Another question I have is, would the MAC allow those schools to stay for other sports? Reading the tea leaves, football could be breaking away from conferences anyways. But my guess is that you cannot allow a precedent of letting schools partially leave.
ColonialBulldog
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aces44 » October 15th, 2024, 11:56 am

Life does not start and stop at your convenience Donnie!!
Sincerely,
Walter
Aces44
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » October 15th, 2024, 12:29 pm

ColonialBulldog wrote:I have to imagine that the MWC would need to offer a pretty sweet deal to bring in Toledo and NIU as football only members. The watered down MWC might be better than the MAC, but it's certainly not head-and-shoulders above the MAC in quality.

Conversely, the MAC has a lot going for it. Geographically it's the best FBS conference for travel. Athletically, I'm not sure you increase your odds of getting a playoff spot in football if you go to the MWC. The pecking order for the 5th spot (while the current format still exists) is Pac-12, then AAC, then MWC. But the MAC isn't far behind the new MWC. Going undefeated in the MAC is possible and would likely get you a spot in the playoff. That's a long winded way of saying they're not terrible for football. I'm not saying the right move is to stay in the MAC for NIU and Toledo, but the MWC is going to really need to sweeten the pot to get them to leave.

Another question I have is, would the MAC allow those schools to stay for other sports? Reading the tea leaves, football could be breaking away from conferences anyways. But my guess is that you cannot allow a precedent of letting schools partially leave.

The MAC has literally nothing going for it.

It's the worst FBS football league by a wide margin. An undefeated MAC team would not get into the playoff over a 1 loss AAC/MWC/New PAC/CUSA team. It's got an awful TV deal that forces all of what used to be highly attended games onto Tuesdays and Wednesdays and doesn't pay enough to make up that difference. It's got very little access to decent bowl games with larger payouts and better geography and, frankly, should probably consider moving back to the FCS as a whole.

NIU and Toledo are doing exactly what they should be doing and that's looking for a life raft to get somewhere with a better TV deal and to get games back on Saturdays where they can sell tickets, increase sponsorships and get their communities invested, especially Toledo.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby lime » October 15th, 2024, 12:38 pm

The MAC is better than CUSA in football, but CUSA has more schools that are just entry level FBS and is probably more of a launching pad for a school who thinks they can make the MWC or AAC. The MAC is more of regional schools otherwise content with a regional conference, albeit it now trying to contend with a landscape where that doesn’t really fit nationally.
lime
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby TOPSTRAIGHT » October 15th, 2024, 1:16 pm

lime wrote:The MAC is better than CUSA in football, but CUSA has more schools that are just entry level FBS and is probably more of a launching pad for a school who thinks they can make the MWC or AAC. The MAC is more of regional schools otherwise content with a regional conference, albeit it now trying to contend with a landscape where that doesn’t really fit nationally.

The MAC may beat out CUSA this year in FB--but four out of the last five years--the MAC has been ranked last among the G5.
TOPSTRAIGHT
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ReZyNeZy » October 15th, 2024, 1:48 pm

The MAC simply has a worse media rights deal overall than the MWC. Heck, there is even an argument that their media deal is worse than the MVC deal. MWC reportedly is going to give all new members the full media rights distribution of 5-7 million dollars. MAC only disburses about 2-2.5 million dollars. MWC has a deal with CBS and FOX. MAC has espn and espn+. Basically the MAC is running a G5 program on the media exposure of the Valley pre-gray media.
ReZyNeZy
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball